oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Yeah the club and its finances confuse me. Not sure where we are.

On one hand we have "agreed" a loan deal for a premier league centre back widely reported to be on £40k a week (assume we will be paying a decdnt chunk of that on top of a loan fee) but as you say on other hand, a 600k signing from league 1 might be out of our reach..

Before this pandemic kicked off, the word I heard in February is that we were going to give it a right go in the summer and Woody had money to spend because of the wage bill getting significantly cut. However, because of our current situation I don't know how much that is going to impact us moving forward financially.

• Thanks 3
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Yeah the club and its finances confuse me. Not sure where we are.

On one hand we have "agreed" a loan deal for a premier league centre back widely reported to be on £40k a week (assume we will be paying a decdnt chunk of that on top of a loan fee) but as you say on other hand, a 600k signing from league 1 might be out of our reach..

Isn't it likely though that Burnley still owe us quite a wedge of the original transfer fee.

5 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Isn't it likely though that Burnley still owe us quite a wedge of the original transfer fee.

And if anyone is going to take a cut to move it would be Ben. Not saying he will, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Even Gaston took a big hit to join us!

2 hours ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Like I stated previously, Burnley are paying in 3 installments and have only paid 2 installments so 1 left to pay. Burnley wanted a deal but we weren't prepared to use that for a loan fee only permanent transfer.

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Like I stated previously, Burnley are paying in 3 installments and have only paid 2 installments so 1 left to pay. Burnley wanted a deal but we weren't prepared to use that for a loan fee only permanent transfer.

But if we’re that cash strapped that 400k is a lot I find it difficult to get behind signing Gibson for what could be 5 million if that’s the final installment. Add to that wages that will likely be very high. We need to also improve quite a few positions so I’m not fully behind spending so much money on signing a player that hasn’t played for two years come next summer. Sounds like a romantic signing rather than a pragmatic signing. Can we really afford that?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Maccarone said:

Gibson is still relatively young, would be an excellent signing at the right T&C's

He would, but if it means we can only sign league 1 and L2 players for the rest of the positions that need filling then I'm not so sure it'll be good for the team. Last summer we signed 3 L1 players in Bola, Browne and Dijksteel and none of them has done anything for us. Do that again this summer with the overhaul that we need and we will be starring at relegation next season.

This situation with Gibson has become the most mysterious of all mysteries known to man!

Still as the game we know and the club we love could become unrecognisable anything is possible I suppose.

Agree with BD on this

Having looked at the list of players we will have left if you forget the loan players and those out of contract, shows we already have many gaps to fill.

The retained list also includes a lot of young players who haven't really featured for Boro or not at all yet. So the list becomes even more sparse if you don't include them which means even more incomings needed.

Interesting or worrying times!!!

2 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Having looked at the list of players we will have left if you forget the loan players and those out of contract, shows we already have many gaps to fill.

The retained list also includes a lot of young players who haven't really featured for Boro or not at all yet. So the list becomes even more sparse if you don't include them which means even more incomings needed.

Interesting or worrying times!!!

If we stay up I'd say interesting, but if we go down it's frightening. We've got a some overpaid dross going out and it's a decent chance to strengthen the right areas with the right players - if we stay up. But we will need to be adventurous in the market and widen our net - not something I'm confident of us doing.

29 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Nathan Jones reappointed Luton boss 16 months after leaving for stoke. Hope he does not give them the new manager boss...

He was successful with them the first time around so he could well initiate a revival 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blanco said:

He was successful with them the first time around so he could well initiate a revival 

I would have said they were on a revival before the season was stopped. They were sixth in the form table over the last six matches. That was what seemed strange about the previous manager leaving - unless they had already lined Nathan Jones up to return?

So  it could go either way for them. I guess for all clubs it’s like a new season starting, what with long term injured players returning and the fact that some players seem to start a new season quickly whilst others take time to get their form and settle in.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, diggerlad07 said:

Before this pandemic kicked off, the word I heard in February is that we were going to give it a right go in the summer and Woody had money to spend because of the wage bill getting significantly cut. However, because of our current situation I don't know how much that is going to impact us moving forward financially.

I suspect much of  the league is going to be in a similar position. We're quite lucky to have so many players running out of contract just as this economic crash is coming. I can see most of the league desperately trying to cut their wage bills. 

Biggest downside is no one will be willing to spend money on Britt.