oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

2 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

I suspect much of  the league is going to be in a similar position. We're quite lucky to have so many players running out of contract just as this economic crash is coming. I can see most of the league desperately trying to cut their wage bills. 

Biggest downside is no one will be willing to spend money on Britt.

My hope is relegated clubs/those aiming for promotion might see Britt as a cheaper alternative to the other prolific strikers in this league.

Dont want to start a debate on whether Britt is prolific but hope fellow board members get point am trying to make? He is viewed as one of the more established leading forwards at this level given he virtually guarantees you double figures each season at this level (bar this one)

I imagine any offer of approx £4m+ gets you Britt..

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, TLF10 said:

My hope is relegated clubs/those aiming for promotion might see Britt as a cheaper alternative to the other prolific strikers in this league.

Dont want to start a debate on whether Britt is prolific but hope fellow board members get point am trying to make? He is viewed as one of the more established leading forwards at this level given he virtually guarantees you double figures each season at this level (bar this one)

I imagine any offer of approx £4m+ gets you Britt..

and replace him with who? Ivan Toney at a higher price who is unproven in the championship? We can all see that Brit is not perfect but replacing him is much harder, especially when good strikers are the most saught after commodity for teams in any division

1 hour ago, oldman said:

and replace him with who? Ivan Toney at a higher price who is unproven in the championship? We can all see that Brit is not perfect but replacing him is much harder, especially when good strikers are the most saught after commodity for teams in any division

I disagree. Replacing Britt is not the hard part imo. Getting a good fee for him under the current circumstances with 1yr left on his deal is the hard part.

Ultimately we need to find a striker who gets between 12-15 goals a season as that is what we would lose with Britt.   

One of the ITK members on here said we are looking at Lyle Taylor who out of contract at end of season. He has 11 goals to his name and has missed a decent chunk of season. Other players include Nakhi Wells who cost Bristol £5m (same fee as we are maybe looking at for Britt) and has 15 goals.

Hugill on loan at QPR has 11 goals

Woodrow at Barnsely has 14 goals

Out of contract Fletcher at Sheff Wed has 13 goals.

I am not suggesting we should look at any of them but they have all offered better value for money than britt so getting more bang for your buck than we have from Britt is not hard. Might be for us due to our past incompetent scouting department but some other clubs managed it. Maybe we can this summer...

I think Hugill was all too often on the ground and I couldn't stand that in a big physical lad, more-so than the regular diving player... but I also think he'd have scored more goals under Woodgate than he did Pulis. Though you could probably apply that to a lot of strikers.

44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think Hugill was all too often on the ground and I couldn't stand that in a big physical lad, more-so than the regular diving player... but I also think he'd have scored more goals under Woodgate than he did Pulis. Though you could probably apply that to a lot of strikers.

I agree with you. I think Hugill did go to ground a lot but probably because when he played, the closest person near him when ball was played to him were the fans in the stands. Probs thought best i can do is win a free kick.

QPR and Preston showed when you use him properly, i.e in a front 2 he is actually very decent at this level. A lot better than he showed here imo.

5 hours ago, oldman said:

The problem with Britt is he's not particularly good at playing upfront alone and goes through spells of being lazy and clumsy. There has to be better value for money out there.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

I agree with you. I think Hugill did go to ground a lot but probably because when he played, the closest person near him when ball was played to him were the fans in the stands. Probs thought best i can do is win a free kick.

Tony Pulis was manager.. he was probably told to win as many freekicks around the box as possible.

14 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Tony Pulis was manager.. he was probably told to win as many freekicks around the box as possible.

For what it's worth, Pulis called him out on diving. So it would have been very hypocritical to say one thing to the press and another to the player.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

For what it's worth, Pulis called him out on diving. So it would have been very hypocritical to say one thing to the press and another to the player.

So he did say it then.. 😜

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is Pulis we're talking about. He has a track record of doing exactly that.

Maybe, maybe not, just saying it was acknowledged as something bad and for a player he actually wanted to be at the club. I'd expect the hypocrisy towards a player he didn't like more-so, say Britt for example, than for Hugill. It's not like Hugill has suddenly stopped being like that since he left either so I really don't think it's as simple as Pulis asked him to take dives and that's the reason he did it. Win set-pieces, absolutely. But diving, I don't personally think so.