• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That Football Insider is also reporting we've offered Ayala a new long term contract.

Whether it's true or not, I think he'll head to Leeds if he gets a choice between the two.

Especially if they go up.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Agree with this. I am not sure why some of our fans are so eager to write the lad off. Same goes for Browne and Dijksteel, We as fans have in past been crying out for the club to take a punt on players from lower leagues and if we want to do to that we need to have some patience imo. I am not saying patience will result in all these lads becoming good but not entirely sure what the rush is in wanting to get rid of them so soon after they have arrived.

Every time he played he was tore apart defensively and looked terrified on the ball. With the Boro crowd as it is you've got to be brave to play at the Riverside and the lad doesn't have it in him.

And how often was he switched to right back because he couldn't cope on the left? I'm all for taking a punt, Dijksteel and Browne both have something about them, but Bola Just is not good enough.

49 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That Football Insider is also reporting we've offered Ayala a new long term contract.

Whether it's true or not, I think he'll head to Leeds if he gets a choice between the two.

Unfortunately from what I heard, the deal with Leeds had already been agreed sometime ago as Victor Orta was vital in the deal happening.

Shame, but he's been a good servant for us and brilliant on his day but if he wants to play second fiddle in the Premier League then good luck to him.

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I guess people are looking for signs of promise - flashes of talent, clever ideas even if the intentions don't pay off, glimpses of a good player waiting to be cultivated. As an extreme example of my point, Traore clearly had potential when he first arrived, even though he was very poor in many respects.

I personally think Dijksteel has shown some raw promise, but Browne and Bola just haven't demonstrated anything to suggest they're going to improve beyond League One standard. And while I'm not condoning the fans being on their backs, it's reasonable to be disappointed by what they've shown us so far, especially considering they were key ingredients in Woodgate's 'new way'.

The problem with that is that young players will often only show promise in consistent environments, hence why Browne once again has done so well at Oxford.

Traore is different to nearly every other player on the planet too and still a lot of us thought for a while he would just be talented but never able to deliver, his breakthrough though came with consistency of opportunity and the right guidance. Bola and Browne have both had a handful of opportunities in an inconsistent environment that even our senior pros struggled with

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I guess people are looking for signs of promise - flashes of talent, clever ideas even if the intentions don't pay off, glimpses of a good player waiting to be cultivated. As an extreme example of my point, Traore clearly had potential when he first arrived, even though he was very poor in many respects.

I personally think Dijksteel has shown some raw promise, but Browne and Bola just haven't demonstrated anything to suggest they're going to improve beyond League One standard. And while I'm not condoning the fans being on their backs, it's reasonable to be disappointed by what they've shown us so far, especially considering they were key ingredients in Woodgate's 'new way'.

I would like to agree with you but to my knowledge there is not one soul in our coaching staff than do what you are hoping for.

For many years now Boro have been without strong coach's who can cultivate as you put it. When was the last time you saw a decent attacker selected from our youth.

There simply is no one in the coaching staff to guide these players . I actually thought the arrival of Keane may have made some difference but sadly the lack of scoring goals as been our downfall since his arrival. Do we actually have a midfield coach or are they all defensive minded as always, the same as our managers.

One of the main reasons I was against Woodgate getting the job,he as no idea how to play decent football and we will suffer again next season until Gibson either sells up or realise's he as made yet another big mistake in choosing a manager.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Unfortunately from what I heard, the deal with Leeds had already been agreed sometime ago as Victor Orta was vital in the deal happening.

Shame, but he's been a good servant for us and brilliant on his day but if he wants to play second fiddle in the Premier League then good luck to him.

I will be sorry to see the guy leave the team will miss him badly.

The trouble we had with Browne, Bola and Dijksteel was that they came into a side that was so disorganized and had no set structure! Thus I do put it more down to coaching and give these youngsters the benefit of the doubt for now.   It's massive preseason for them though it's their time to show they have what it takes to make a career at the Boro. 

• Like 3

Agree @diggerlad07 regarding Ayala. I feel if he does end up at Leeds and they go up he will probs be the 3rd choice CB as i dont think Leeds will be pinning they hopes on Ayala as one of the main centre backs next season in PL. But being a 3rd chouce CB at Leeds should still see him play enough games.

Great player and servant for us. Albeit if its true that Gibbo is coming back am not overly concerned with Ayala leaving. 

Fry&Gibbo at CB are a solid enough pairing at this level. If Fry is sold then I hope we have some funds from his sale to find a good replacement to play alongside Gibbo.

Browne has repeatedly shown at Oxford that he has something.

I'm hoping Bola was just a bit over-awed and can come good, you don't get Player of the Year for a team by being rubbish, he seemed up for staking a claim for next season in that interview earlier in the year.

Dijksteel's a funny one as he's only had half a season at right back in League One, Charlton fans didn't seem too fussed about him leaving, and he's had a weirdly long injury.

2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Browne has repeatedly shown at Oxford that he has something.

I'm hoping Bola was just a bit over-awed and can come good, you don't get Player of the Year for a team by being rubbish, he seemed up for staking a claim for next season in that interview earlier in the year.

Dijksteel's a funny one as he's only had half a season at right back in League One, Charlton fans didn't seem too fussed about him leaving, and he's had a weirdly long injury.

Agreed. But have you seen that video of Dijksteel on youtube playing RB? Haha.

He looks like a total monster of an athlete. A proper modern day RB. Big, strong and rapid as they come. Purely on that video I have a soft spot for him and hope he makes it here haha.

"Middlesbrough have offered new contracts to Jonny Howson, George Friend and Leeds United target Daniel Ayala, Football Insider can reveal."

"A Boro source has told Football Insider that deals of between two and three years have been offered to centre-back Ayala, left-back Friend and midfielder Howson."

x

6 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

"Middlesbrough have offered new contracts to Jonny Howson, George Friend and Leeds United target Daniel Ayala, Football Insider can reveal."

"A Boro source has told Football Insider that deals of between two and three years have been offered to centre-back Ayala, left-back Friend and midfielder Howson."

x

I dunno about offering Friend another 2 years like he'll be nearly 35 at the end of the contract. 

I think given we are offering those players we want to keep less wages than they are currently on means we need to offer them a longer contract to stand any chance of them signing on reduced wages. Cant really go up to them and go "the offer is less money and a short contract on top".

I assume deals for Howson and Ayala will be 3yr deals and Friend 2yr deal. I anticipate Howson and Friend wont get deals of that length given they Howson 32 and Friend 33 in October. Ayala on other hand will be 30 in Nov soon so can he can probably get the same 3yr deal we offering elsewhere but on a better wage.

Ayala is 29, but I think we've all seen his injury record taking its toll. I genuinely don't think he's the irreplaceable force he seemed a few seasons back. His mobility, turn of pace, reaction times etc have suffered.

He'll be a good Championship CB for another season or two, but his best days are already behind him in my opinion. If he signs a 2 years deal, great - but we still need a lead CB to take charge when he's undoubtedly out for several games. If he leaves, we still need that CB, regardless of what division we're in.

Howson is the one of those three I think would be hardest to replace.