oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

I wonder if the team will be kept quiet if close to what he wants to play next week.

Especially if they've talked Ayala, Howson and Friend to play. If we can have a left sided centre back in Friend in the team I think it would make a huge difference. Could mean a line up of

Stojanovic

Friend

Moukoudi

Ayala

Coulson

Howson

McNair

Roberts

Wing

Fletcher

Assombalonga

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Just now, Neverbefore said:

Braithwaite started and scored for Barcelona tonight.

Definitely his fault that he didnt do anything here, nothing to do with how he was managed ...

Correct.

2 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

So the story now is, we got beat 2-1 in a 90 minute game.

Then a 45 minute game was played with squad players which we lost 3-0

I am gonna keep telling myself that practice games are just for fitness 😬

I think you should keep telling yourself that as you are absolutley correct in that friendlies are literally just for fitness and for management to try things. No points are awarded for them and there no progress towards anyone final.

If we lose v Swansea and thereafter then you are well within your rights to criticise and moan. But i would advice not to waste that type of energy over friendlies. 

• Like 1

Regarding Braithwaite, hope everytime he scores for Barca or gets an assist, its not a stick to beat the club with.

When Barca signed him the whole world was shocked and rightly so. However now he there its important to remember he is playing as a forward for one of the best attscking teams in the world alongside the greatest player most of us have seen. Therefore the chances of him scoring and assisting at barca are much greater than they would be at Boro. They would be even for anyone, even us folk who are not pro footballers.

And lets not forgot even before Pulis arrived, Braithwaite was flattering to deceive under Monk. The championship was a lot harder than he anticipated and he by his own admission came to play in PL with expectation of 1 season in championship. When it became apparent that it might be more than one season i think he lost a bit of interest.  

Even if he scores 20 goals for Barca I am not going to say we mismanaged him.

We paid about £8m and got £7m back for him. I think we did well.

Martin Braithwaite and MFC was a relationship that commenced at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances. It was never destined to survive long term imo.

• Like 2

The issue is the club offered Braithwaite a wage they could only afford with promotion. So from about January onwards in the first year they spent their time trying to offload him. They is no doubt about his talent but we couldn't afford it.  Yet  what leaves the bad taste in the mouth is the fact the club did not tell the truth and be honest with the fans as they coulda said he is simply a luxury we can't afford.  However instead went for the fake propoganda PR machine saying he was trying to force out a move and didn't want to play for us. Had an argument with Pulis about his tactics etc. That is the issue I have with the whole fiasco and this is all down to the club!

Edited by DurhamRed

I don’t believe a word that Pulis was spouting that season, but I also don’t believe anything Braithwaite says. Everything that he says or does on social media (like the parmo or the Juninho pic) is a set up.

Obviously had talent but don’t think he was ever fully committed to being here, especially as soon as Pulis took over it was only going to end in tears.  

Two sides to every story. I’m sure Pulis and MB are both to blame. Martin came for the money and promotion and when that didn’t happen he wanted to move on. Pulis was just bad all around. 

I never understood all the hype when Braithwaite was here, I can probably  count on one hand the amount of times he stood out playing for us and for me Patrick Roberts is a much better player so alls well that ends well

Braithwaite thought we'd won the league when he signed, he was already portraying himself as a hero. Don't get me wrong, I liked that he was sending positive vibes from the moment he joined and that he was trying to fit in publicly. But at the same time, there was an air of one inevitability in his mindset; we were going up and he was gonna be a big part of that.

Was he mismanaged? Of course he was. We spent so much money that summer to give our manager the squad he needed to get us promoted. Yet between the club and Monk, there always seemed to be some different expectations of the team. Monk wanted time to mould the team, his interviews about how things will take time were not in line with the 'smash the league' comments of Gibson. Our investment into his team didn't match that of a team that was gonna take some time to get right. Monk tinkered and managed to change his mind about what he wanted before the transfer window had even closed, after spending more than £40m already at that stage. Were Braithwaite's ambitions being met in terms of the manager we brought in? Easier to say in hindsight but absolutely not.

But we were still paying him a significant Premier League wage. And he downed tools whilst we were still doing that. In his desperate attempt to force a move to appear, he turned up and looked like the best player at the start of the next season. But it soon became clear what the motivation was, you can believe what Pulis said or not, I don't think it really matters. What happened on the pitch and off it was enough to prove beyond doubt that this was a man playing for a move and stopped caring when the window closed. On a PREMIER LEAGUE salary. That's unacceptable. He should have been leading by example, not taking our payment for granted in the way that he did. Imagine being anyone else in that team who worked hard and took home significantly less than he did. Showcases that once a deal is signed, a club has no power any more. We tried to drag him through the mud and look where he is now; Barcelona. The stars may have had to align for it to happen but that's where he is nonetheless.

All parties take a share of the blame. But Braithwaite is no angel in comparison to the rest of them.

• Like 3