oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

It'll be interesting to see if Ayala is suddenly back. It doesn't seem like the Leeds move is happening, and if he just had a problem with Woodgate he might think it's better to finish the season under Warnock and put himself in the shop window again.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It'll be interesting to see if Ayala is suddenly back. It doesn't seem like the Leeds move is happening, and if he just had a problem with Woodgate he might think it's better to finish the season under Warnock and put himself in the shop window again.

Ayala is injured we are told. He told club he was available until June 30th but could not train once we resumed contract training.

I dont believe club entirely on Ayala situation but I am inclined to believe them on fact Ayala cant seem to get to bottom of his ankle injury.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Ayala is injured we are told. He told club he was available until June 30th but could not train once we resumed contract training.

I dont believe club entirely on Ayala situation but I am inclined to believe them on fact Ayala cant seem to get to bottom of his ankle injury.

I never believe anything the club says, as they will obviously say anything, or have the Gazette print it, in order to save face.

44 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Surely Coulson’s strongest position is at left back, he’s certainly a better bet there than Johnson who’s a winger and Friend who looks off the pace. 

See I would disagree, for me Coulsons obvious position is as a LW. He gets caught out of position too much at traditional LB. LWB or further forward I think works for him far better.

• Like 1

Whilst Ayala is being brought up. I'm sure one of the ITKer's said (maybe last year) that there was a current player suing the club, due to being made to play through injury? I think a lot of people assumed it was Shotton at the time. But putting 2 and 2 together, could it actually have been Ayala? He has had his mysterious ankle injury on and off for well over 3 years and there has been a complete breakdown in relationship between him and the club. 
Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

See I would disagree, for me Coulsons obvious position is as a LW. He gets caught out of position too much at traditional LB. LWB or further forward I think works for him far better.

Agreed. Needs to bulk up a bit to play left back and his main asset is getting forward. 

it’ll probably be George by default and I love the man but he has been so poor for so long at left back. If he changed his game to be more defensive there could maybe work but he still bombs up and down and I don’t think he has the legs anymore. 

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Surely Coulson’s strongest position is at left back, he’s certainly a better bet there than Johnson who’s a winger and Friend who looks off the pace. 

I still see his future there and I would probably play him there were it up to me, sure.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Today's appointment makes it 13 Managers since 2006, thats 13 Managers in 14 years.

You’re pulling managers out of your backside.

Southgate

Strachan

Mogga

Karanka

Monk

Pulis

Woody

Warnock 

That’s 8 in 14 years (Agnew was always interim), I’d say that was a pretty standard amount of managers in that time frame for a modern football club. Southgate, Mogga and Karanka were actually all given 3 or more seasons or thereabouts, Pulis was given till the end of his contract and Strachan walked away admitting his own failings. So what exactly is your point?

Steve Gibson has his failings but giving managers time/number of appointments is not really the issue and it’s only the appointments of Southgate and Woodgate that can really be seen as failures on his part, the other managers were all expected to succeed by fans and were given financial backing bar Woodgate who’s clearly tactically inept and Mogga who built a foundation for Karanka.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

Southgate

Strachan

Mogga

Karanka

Monk

Pulis

Woody

Warnock 

That’s 8 in 14 years (Agnew was always interim), I’d say that was a pretty standard amount of managers in that time frame for a modern football club. Southgate, Mogga and Karanka were actually all given 3 or more seasons or thereabouts, Pulis was given till the end of his contract and Strachan walked away admitting his own failings. So what exactly is your point?

Steve Gibson has his failings but giving managers time/number of appointments is not really the issue and it’s only the appointments of Southgate and Woodgate that can really be seen as failures on his part, the other managers were all expected to succeed by fans and were given financial backing bar Woodgate who’s clearly tactically inept and Mogga who built a foundation for Karanka.

How was the appointment of Pulis anything but a failure? He's the highest paid manager in our history and he went from scraping the play-offs to finishing outside of them and declaring that a bigger success than the season before. He came in with the big money team Monk had assembled and got *** all out of them.

Monk was a fool given too much money to spend but Gibson doesn't get out of that because he threw money at him, that was entirely reckless and feckless of him to do that to an unproven entity, not to mention our recruitment tactics hadn't actually changed from the January prior where we decided to just throw big money at players we didn't even need.

And Agnew wasn't always interim, he was interim because he was *** and the appointment of that 'interim' manager at that time was just as bad if not worse than most the appointments on the list so it's absolutely worth mentioning. We could have survived had we had an actual manager in charge, that's on Gibson.

• Like 2

Agnew thought he had the job beyond the end of the season and was very upset when he found out that he didn’t. 

Just about every spell in football management ends in failure, at every club.  

You could argue that McClaren was our most successful manager, he kept us in the league, won a trophy and got us into Europe twice then went on to become England manager on the back of his success.

He’s the only Riverside era manager who has kept us in the top division apart from AK, who was sacked before the season ended. 

30 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

How was the appointment of Pulis anything but a failure? He's the highest paid manager in our history and he went from scraping the play-offs to finishing outside of them and declaring that a bigger success than the season before. He came in with the big money team Monk had assembled and got *** all out of them.

Monk was a fool given too much money to spend but Gibson doesn't get out of that because he threw money at him, that was entirely reckless and feckless of him to do that to an unproven entity, not to mention our recruitment tactics hadn't actually changed from the January prior where we decided to just throw big money at players we didn't even need.

And Agnew wasn't always interim, he was interim because he was *** and the appointment of that 'interim' manager at that time was just as bad if not worse than most the appointments on the list so it's absolutely worth mentioning. We could have survived had we had an actual manager in charge, that's on Gibson.

Pulis is a failure, you’re missing the point. Pulis is a failure because of Pulis not because of Gibson, he should of done better with the squad and the money he was given like you’d of expected a manager of his prior experience to of. It’s only a bad appointment in hindsight, it’s not as if he was kept around beyond his two years.

And I’m not disagreeing that Agnew was a *** appointment, we should of kept Karanka, but that’s a different discussion.

1 hour ago, jmsguzzi said:

Southgate

Strachan

Mogga

Karanka

Monk

Pulis

Woody

Warnock 

I'd agree with most of this but I'd argue pulis was a failure. He brought in players for a huge amount of money the previous summer to play a particular style and then brought in a manager who played in the opposite way, wasting the likes of braithwaite, christie, assombalonga etc's talents. We had some squad then and a more progressive manager would have gotten us promoted despite our bad start in my opinion. 

Edit - should have read the rest of the thread before replying!

You can't have a discussion about Gibson's shocking decisions without mentioning Agnew!

I know things were looking really bleak but we weren't completely dead and buried when Karanka left... well we weren't until Agnew was given the job. 

What was the reason for his appointment again? Oh yeah, uncle Steve thought he deserved a chance because he was a nice guy. 😂

• Like 2