oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

2 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

Pulis is a failure, you’re missing the point. Pulis is a failure because of Pulis not because of Gibson, he should of done better with the squad and the money he was given like you’d of expected a manager of his prior experience to of. It’s only a bad appointment in hindsight, it’s not as if he was kept around beyond his two years.

And I’m not disagreeing that Agnew was a *** appointment, we should of kept Karanka, but that’s a different discussion.

He would have been if Gibson had his way.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

Talking about Gibson has our training buddy from Burnley gone back to where he is loved and nurtured?

no. they didnt fill their bench last night and he still wasn't on it.

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Talking about Gibson has our training buddy from Burnley gone back to where he is loved and nurtured?

Was in the stands with rest of boro boys who did not make squad on Saturday v Swansea

11 hours ago, jmsguzzi said:

You’re pulling managers out of your backside.

Southgate

Strachan

Mogga

Karanka

Monk

Pulis

Woody

Warnock 

That’s 8 in 14 years (Agnew was always interim), I’d say that was a pretty standard amount of managers in that time frame for a modern football club. Southgate, Mogga and Karanka were actually all given 3 or more seasons or thereabouts, Pulis was given till the end of his contract and Strachan walked away admitting his own failings. So what exactly is your point?

Steve Gibson has his failings but giving managers time/number of appointments is not really the issue and it’s only the appointments of Southgate and Woodgate that can really be seen as failures on his part, the other managers were all expected to succeed by fans and were given financial backing bar Woodgate who’s clearly tactically inept and Mogga who built a foundation for Karanka.

Lists of Middlesbrough Football Club Managers include all Managers whether we like it or not. If we keep turning over Managers then we keep needing those interim Managers, is that not a problem in itself and perhaps a major reason why we now find ourselves where we are?

My point if it wasn't clear is that there is no continuity and we bounce from one Manager to another who all tried to play their way with a squad that was assembled by a previous Manager and by the time they got their Players in they were gone, some quicker than others. 

I disagree that Agnew was always intended to be interim, seems a very poor strategy to be placing your Premiership survival on an interim or there again is that just another manifestation of the problem. Which Club Chairman would surrender their Premiership place in March by handing the job to someone if he didn't have belief in him?

Just for contrast we had 6 Managers in the previous 20 years which coincided with Bruce Rioch reviving us in '86 to McClaren leaving in 2006.

We spent £1.4m this year, on agent fees alone, doing the following deals:

Dijksteel, Bola, Browne, Stojanovic, Mejias, Burrell, Jones, Folarin - permanent signings

Roberts, Nmecha, Morrison, Moukoudi - loan signings

Fry, Coulson, Tavernier, Wood, Liddle, Sykes - updating existing contracts, or signing new ones in the case of Wood and Sykes.

Randolph's sale.

Money well spent eh?  I'm trying to work out where that money has gone exactly.  The inclusion of Randolph in the Boro section suggests that we paid an agents fee for his sale, which was nice of us if that's the case, but I can't be sure if that's right or not.  It could just be how it's been input.

The previous year the figure was £2.6m, while we were doing that belt tightening thing under Pulis.  Interestingly, despite Monk and his agent apparently trying to scam our brains out, the figure was actually lower than that under him at only £2.5m.  The Premier League season was a touch lower still at £2.4m and the promotion season was a paltry £340k.

It'd be great if you could see a full breakdown of it all, including the specific amounts for each transaction.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We spent £1.4m this year, on agent fees alone, doing the following deals:

Dijksteel, Bola, Browne, Stojanovic, Mejias, Burrell, Jones, Folarin - permanent signings

Roberts, Nmecha, Morrison, Moukoudi - loan signings

Fry, Coulson, Tavernier, Wood, Liddle, Sykes - updating existing contracts, or signing new ones in the case of Wood and Sykes.

Randolph's sale.

Money well spent eh?  I'm trying to work out where that money has gone exactly.  The inclusion of Randolph in the Boro section suggests that we paid an agents fee for his sale, which was nice of us if that's the case, but I can't be sure if that's right or not.  It could just be how it's been input.

The previous year the figure was £2.6m, while we were doing that belt tightening thing under Pulis.  Interestingly, despite Monk and his agent apparently trying to scam our brains out, the figure was actually lower than that under him at only £2.5m.  The Premier League season was a touch lower still at £2.4m and the promotion season was a paltry £340k.

It'd be great if you could see a full breakdown of it all, including the specific amounts for each transaction.

So Pulis didn't cut down on the agents fees either then. What the hell did he do to put us in such a great financial position then?! 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Training at Boro till end of season.

Pity we can not use him, would be an ideal fit for where we are at the moment.

However should we blow what ever monies that could be available to secure his services next season, assumming we stay in this division, I will not be best impressed.

Jobs for the lads does not work we have all seen that

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Duvel said:

So Pulis didn't cut down on the agents fees either then. What the hell did he do to put us in such a great financial position then?! 

He did nothing. Nothing at all

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The inclusion of Randolph in the Boro section suggests that we paid an agents fee for his sale, which was nice of us if that's the case, but I can't be sure if that's right or not.  It could just be how it's been input.

Given the allegations around him and the allegations towards Boro surrounding that, I'm gonna put my tin foil hat on for a little bit and suggest maybe that was to keep quiet about Boro's involvement... or maybe it's because Randolph didn't want to leave at all so the agent needed an incentive to push him.

33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Given the allegations around him and the allegations towards Boro surrounding that, I'm gonna put my tin foil hat on for a little bit and suggest maybe that was to keep quiet about Boro's involvement... or maybe it's because Randolph didn't want to leave at all so the agent needed an incentive to push him.

or we needed the agent to find a buyer to get rid of an alledged 'abuser'

22 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

or we needed the agent to find a buyer to get rid of an alledged 'abuser'

I mean if we really just wanted to get rid of him over abuse allegations, we could have just called him out and sacked him. That would have still got the wages off the books even if it did lead to potential legal repercussions. They could have taken the woman seriously, stood with her and believed her. Instead it ends up looking like they were just managing her as if she was the problem, from what she shared with the world.

Note how quiet the club has been in the aftermath of those allegations, as far as anybody can tell they haven't even responded to them and it's all nicely been swept under the rug since. I hope privately there is still something going on there but they haven't made any statement and really the ball is in their court to do that.

Still, I'll digress, these comments are beyond just this incident and it's a big story in our (mine, not football) industry at the moment. Serious numbers of abuse allegations of all kinds coming out about reputable people, so maybe I'm just *** off in general about how *** our legal systems are and how they don't protect abuse victims. They all too often get thrown away behind the idea that false accusations are actually prominent or that abuse victims are the reason abuse happens. I'l just end with this; I seriously hope we haven't tried to hinder this process because we wanted to make sure we got a bit of money from selling a player.

• Like 1