oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Yeah good riddance to Gestede, an absolute shambolic signing which epitomises how the club has been completely mismanaged since January 2017. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

You have to ask why the hell Woodgate picked Gestede given he was leaving before the next game. Another example of Woodgate’s utter incompetence. 

He had 3 months off to plan Boro's revival and came up with playing a front 3 of Gestede, Nmecha and Coulson. Trying to understand his thinking will only give you a headache..

We've been saying for some time that the squad resources appeared to have been criminally mismanaged. How much of that comes down to incompetence, or to being too pally with the squad? A new man comes in and suddenly its a different story. 

• Like 1

I wonder if there will be a rethink in how contracts are structured after all this. Instead of until june 2020 maybe recorded to "until the final competitive game of the 19/20 season". 

• Like 3
Just now, Neverbefore said:

I wonder if there will be a rethink in how contracts are structured after all this. Instead of until june 2020 maybe recorded to "until the final competitive game of the 19/20 season". 

This seems to be a practical way to approach it going forward. I think June gives players a months pay after the season ends so probably will say “four weeks after the final competitive game” or something like that NB4. You can be sure that the clubs won’t be caught in this type of situation again. 

6 hours ago, TLF10 said:

My thinking was more he might think "the club looked after me when I was injured so now is my time to give something back and help them avoid relegation to a level they not been at for three decades". 

Clearly i am asking for too much of Rudy there.

I mean, I don't get this argument of 'looking after him when he's injured'. Of course we did that, that's for our benefit as much as his. In fact, in the balance of things it's probably more in favour of the club as then the management and physios take risks to determine how quick a player can return.

Regardless, he will have received the same treatment as anyone in our squad with the same injuries, that's why we have physiotherapists and don't rely on the players to take care of themselves. We don't do it as a favour to players. Yet coming back from injury is down to the player too and Rudy came back from a few bad injuries whilst he's been here, suggests to me he's quite committed to working hard to get back in the fold. Not the character of someone who just wants to sit on the treatment table and pick up a living for nowt.

Still, I still think it's laughable that so many couldn't wait to get shot of him but have managed to find a way of blaming him for leaving too early now. The fella seriously can't win.

4 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about that specific suggestion. In a worse case scenario, a player and/or club could be stuck for a long time in a position they don't want to be in. Maybe more likely that the club or player will have it as an actionable short term extension ready to be triggered the way some clubs/players can activate extra years right now.

I definitely agree that clubs will react to this pandemic, though. Players and agents too. It will be interesting what new standards are set in contract negotiations, what protections both sides will demand.

I can see both sides of the Rudy argument but ultimately it doesn’t really matter, the bottom line is he is gone and that is a positive for the club. He undoubtedly turned out to be one of our worst ever signings.  I still cannot believe he started last week. 

29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Still, I still think it's laughable that so many couldn't wait to get shot of him but have managed to find a way of blaming him for leaving too early now. The fella seriously can't win.

Oh, I'm not sad to see him go, far from it.  I just think that he's a complete *** house, same goes for Ayala.  But then I tend to leave the fawning over footballers to others, so I suppose I would feel that way 👍

• Like 1
8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, I don't get this argument of 'looking after him when he's injured'. Of course we did that, that's for our benefit as much as his. In fact, in the balance of things it's probably more in favour of the club as then the management and physios take risks to determine how quick a player can return.

Regardless, he will have received the same treatment as anyone in our squad with the same injuries, that's why we have physiotherapists and don't rely on the players to take care of themselves. We don't do it as a favour to players. Yet coming back from injury is down to the player too and Rudy came back from a few bad injuries whilst he's been here, suggests to me he's quite committed to working hard to get back in the fold. Not the character of someone who just wants to sit on the treatment table and pick up a living for nowt.

I think there were a fair few fans who were critical of Rudys contract and injuries but accepted he bought something to the team given how Woodgate wished to set up towards the end and how Warnock intends to set up. 

I was maybe expecting the guy to say "yeah I will play for another 3 weeks. Its not much of an ask given i only managed 70 odd appearances in nearly 4yrs on 30k a week".

If you strip the argument to its bare bones then nor he or Ayala done anything wrong. However, some of us tend to look at things from a moral perspective as well as a legal/literal persepctive and in respect of former he behaved like an a*se imo. 

Nonetheless, we can draw a line under Rudy. Fletch n Britt showed good promise yesterday and I am quietly confident them two can fire us to safety.

• Like 2

Regarding Rudy. I think he’ll be as eager to to draw a line under his time at Boro as anyone. 
He knows it’s been a disaster and will looking forward to starting a new chapter with a clean slate which (barring scaring a hat trick every game from now to the end of season) he’s not gonna get at Boro 

I understand why he’s done it and wish him well. 

I can understand Gestede not wanting to get injured but he's also been getting paid for the last 3 and a half years when he's been barely available to play as well. 

He obviously doesn't feel like he owes the club anything but for a total outlay of about 12m for his transfer and wages I can understand the club and fans feeling like he maybe owes us something. 

Like I said I can see how he's viewing the situation but if he stayed and scored 5 or 6 goals between now and the end of the season he might earn himself a better move in the summer. I wonder whether he'll be happy getting a decent contract somewhere else where he can sit on the treatment table for another couple of years. 

Edited by Duvel
16 hours ago, edinboro said:

Aye. Warnock said he will know on Monday. Obviously if someone makes one of them am offer for next season they may decide it isn't worth it. Tough position to be in.

Must be hard for clubs and players. The PFA seem to be trying to make it harder for everyone banging on about offers of lower wages. They may end up with no wage at all.

Think JW last week said out the 6 players who were out of contract (not including Ayala). 4 had agreed to stay on and he was waiting on an answer on 2 of them. Obv Rudy was one of the 2.

He had confirmed Clayton has agreed to play on and I assume so has Howson and Friend. That means we are waiting on an answer from one of Shotton and Marv. If i was guessing zi think Shotton is 4th one who has agreed to stay on and Marv is left.