oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

15 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

I don't agree, he's had to play in defence due to us not having anyone who could play that role better. He's done well considering it's not his preferred position.

Paddy McNair played CB for Man Utd and Right Back for NI. He hasn’t set our midfield alight, yet Howson is less effective in midfield than Mcnair and couldn’t shift him. It is all just opinions and perspectives though, and I am very obviously in the minority. By the sound of it though it wasn’t a decision I or the club could influence so I really hope next season is the best he has had for us.

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

@TAPOUT

1. He has not suddenly signed a new deal. Club been confident he would sign since around Jan and all the itk posters said the same. He would sign a new deal. 

2. He hasn't played all sorts of positions. He played RB for us last season for about 10 games under Pulis when we had a crisis with injurys n suspenions. This is position he continued to play this season with a handful of games at CB. Dont recall him playing in all sorts of positions.

3. Endorsement about Howson has not come from JW alone. Pulis rated him. Monk rated him and Warnock does too as he praised him post match yesterday. Whilst at Norwich he was a mainstay in their team despite them having a number of managers so a number of managers there rated him. And a big part of the rift between Leeds fans and then Chairman Ken Bates was his decision to sell Howson to Norwich which angered they fans.

Howson is not and never has been a world beater. But he is certainly worth his salt imo.  Whichever club he has been at in his career, managers and majority of fans alile have recognised his footballing ability, his consistency and his professionalism. 3 key ingredients you want in any footballer regardless of what level you play at. 

• Like 8

Howsons probably been our player of the season (?). The guys a model professional, never complains and gives 100% every game. Can play anywhere on the pitch and still get a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 every week. 
If you think about it, he’s a seriously good footballer. Not necessarily with his individual skill set, but the fact he just understands football. His game IQ is very high. 
There’s not many players at this level that can slot into pretty much anywhere on the pitch without experience, and not look out of place. 
His legs certainly haven’t gone, and he’s as fit as anyone in our squad. Probably one of the fittest. 

• Like 1

Howson is a versatile, experienced and professional player and for me a one year extension is a good thing.

I think why Howson hasn’t really flourished here is down to the string of managers since he was brought in under Monk. I’d see him as an advanced midfielder or a box to box midfielder, neither which has been a stable system which we have played with. In that time though, out of position and with different managers, he has been dependable and reliable. 

11 hours ago, TLF10 said:

1. He has not suddenly signed a new deal. Club been confident he would sign since around Jan and all the itk posters said the same. He would sign a new deal. 

I am just going off the statement mfc put out. It says Howson has taken up his OPTION. His option has been there since he signed his original contract. it isn't a new deal. The cynic in me thinks JW, Howson agent and the club were putting it out that he was going to become available and were looking for bites. None came and so he took up his option.

2. He hasn't played all sorts of positions. He played RB for us last season for about 10 games under Pulis when we had a crisis with injurys n suspenions. This is position he continued to play this season with a handful of games at CB. Dont recall him playing in all sorts of positions.

He has played RB, RWB, CB, CDM, Box to Box and advanced midfielder this season alone. His versatility can be seen as a bonus for some. I don't think he has been particularly stand out anywhere he has played and if you are going to be one of the highest players at the club then you should be.

3. Endorsement about Howson has not come from JW alone. Pulis rated him. Monk rated him and Warnock does too as he praised him post match yesterday. Whilst at Norwich he was a mainstay in their team despite them having a number of managers so a number of managers there rated him. And a big part of the rift between Leeds fans and then Chairman Ken Bates was his decision to sell Howson to Norwich which angered they fans.

Pulis rated his versatility and professionalism. Whilst they are admirable qualities they don't change games. Every one of Monks signings I view as how they benefitted Monk, not how he rated the players he bought. Since he allegedly wiped his hard drive I suppose we won't know and Warnock said you can play him anywhere. I don't see those comments as ringing endorsements. I can't comment on Norwich / Leeds but I would say that was a long time ago and he will not be the same player now.

Howson is not and never has been a world beater. But he is certainly worth his salt imo.  Whichever club he has been at in his career, managers and majority of fans alile have recognised his footballing ability, his consistency and his professionalism. 3 key ingredients you want in any footballer regardless of what level you play at. 

3 attributes I agree, are needed. I would say those are the minimum for any professional but in the context of where the club is at and what the squad needs though he is a drain on what little resources we have. He signed when we were pouring cash into signings and came from the premier league. I doubt he is on much less than £20k/week. If the club have renegotiated his option for a third of that then great. I doubt any player would agree to that but you never know. With TV money at £5m can we really afford to be paying someone who does not influence the game a fifth of that? 

My beef isn't with Howson, as I said above I hope he nails down a position, plays well and justifies his contract. It is the frustration of looking at a squad we will be left with in the summer and due to FFP having limited resources for the 7 or 8 players we need. UTB.

8 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

3 attributes I agree, are needed. I would say those are the minimum for any professional but in the context of where the club is at and what the squad needs though he is a drain on what little resources we have. He signed when we were pouring cash into signings and came from the premier league. I doubt he is on much less than £20k/week. If the club have renegotiated his option for a third of that then great. I doubt any player would agree to that but you never know. With TV money at £5m can we really afford to be paying someone who does not influence the game a fifth of that? 

If I remember correctly it was brought up some time ago about the boro salaries and Howson, Fletcher and Saville were surprisingly cheap, considering their rather big fees at times when we were throwing money around. Randolph, Ayala, Britt and Gestede were the big earners at the club.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-stoke-city-manager-claims-18507875

"Now I’m not making any excuses for Powell picking up two yellows in a minute late in a game that you’re losing 2-0. But I can imagine that Warnock, with all his experience, would have told his lads beforehand that they can’t possibly let Powell try and dictate the game.

"That they had to make life uncomfortable for him, shall we say, and he would have told them that with a knowing look.

"Warnock knows that a player like Powell can be wound up and thrown off his game and, by all accounts, some of the fouls on him before his yellow cards suggests his Boro players realised that too.

"by all accounts"? So he didn't watch the game?

"some of the fouls on him before his yellow card", what you mean the one where he kicked the foot of someone else, a definite dive & one that looked a dive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Brunners said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-stoke-city-manager-claims-18507875

"some of the fouls on him before his yellow card", what you mean the one where he kicked the foot of someone else, a definite dive & one that looked a dive.

Giving volatile players ‘special treatment’ happens on every pitch in the country at every level. I understand he’s protecting his player but as a professional Powell has no one to blame but himself. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I'm not making excuses, but... here's my list of excuses. Also, I'm not racist, but... *former stoke manager is swiftly gagged by his minders*

• Like 1

Celtic have renewed the loan of southamptons Mohamed Elyounoussi for next season. Hopefully that ends their interest in Roberts and we can keep him if we survive. 

• Like 1

Who's going to spill the beans on the problems behind the scenes that Warnock mentioned in his Gazette interview this morning?

Is it transfers?

Is it players not wanting to play?

Is it next season?

Literally came on here hopefully to see someone else make a reference to the “few problems behind the scene”. 

Did Pulis really sort us out behind the scenes? Or has Woodgate well and truly set us back so much in 40 games? 

Im slow to the party and finally watching the Sunderland til I Die documentary..I’d love to see a Boro version of these last two seasons. 

1 minute ago, ManBearPig said:

Literally came on here hopefully to see someone else make a reference to the “few problems behind the scene”. 

Did Pulis really sort us out behind the scenes? Or has Woodgate well and truly set us back so much in 40 games? 

Im slow to the party and finally watching the Sunderland til I Die documentary..I’d love to see a Boro version of these last two seasons. 

I'd guess it would have quite a few similarities!