oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

3 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

He's certainly up there. I loved the 94 Ireland team and was the team I supported with the lack of England being there. I will always remember Houghtons goal vs Italy and the touchline spat when he couldn't get Aldridge on as a sub.

Yes indeed they were great times as an Ireland fan

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

I'm no Ireland fan but I thought you were better in 1990 than 94 and I remember you putting one over on England in 88 as well. 

Its a long time ago now though! 

18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm no Ireland fan but I thought you were better in 1990 than 94 and I remember you putting one over on England in 88 as well. 

Its a long time ago now though! 

We got to the quarter finals in 1990 without winning a game 😀

The win over England is shown on a regular basis on TV over here. Big Jack banged his head on the dugout when Houghton headed home. They were mental times 🤪

RIP Big Jack. Honorary Irish man. Class character all round. And a great Boro manager too. 

Promotion was secured with eight games remaining of the 1973/74 season with a 1-0 win at Luton Town. The title was won by a record 15-point margin, when a win was only worth two points, and Jack was named Manager of the Year. It was the first time a manager outside of the top flight had ever won the award.

• Like 1

Hope that the occasion is suitably honoured with armbands and minute's silence (or applause) today........remember us getting criticised for being ultra-defensive after recording three 4-0 wins in a run of five games....then being called "boring" on MOTD when we scored twelve goals in last two games ...but that might have been because last game led to sacking of St Bobby..We scored fourteen more goals than anyone else in division and had a goal difference of +47....but still not enough for media to give the credit that team deserved    

• Like 4

He was before my time but my dad regularly tells me about Jack Charlton. 

You know someone is a legend at your club when you know all about his time here despite fact you did not exist when it happened.

RIP big man.

Huge loss to us and football his impact on us still resonates today as the man who introduced the white band he truly immersed himself in the community visited almost every school in the area visited the big local shows and events never really saw his like again. Few managers ever 'got' Boro but from what you hear from older fans and read Jack Charlton definitely got us I'd give him a stand.

• Like 2

Yes a very sad loss, always remember away games especially that Big Jack would  collect the training tops from the players.

He had a very good and pacy team at one time

My memories of Boro were as a muddling spluttering Championship Club (Division Two in them days) that were always close but we knew that we would never be promoted and to be honest didn't expect it. Outside of the top two but somewhere in the top eight or even six and that was Boro. 

Big Jack came in and suddenly there was an entirely different atmosphere around the place. Here was a winner, a fighter, someone that wanted to win and be a winner. The story of the White Band and introducing it meant that in a dull world of lookalike kits suddenly Boro stood out. Colour TV's were becoming the norm for those who could afford them and for those still viewing in Black and White (as I was) those few minutes of Boro on Sunday telly suddenly shouted out to you that Boro were on the box!

The success that followed was as unbelievable as it was incredible and had the Club been better run at a higher level it should have been built upon. Regardless of all that because of Big Jack everyone knew who the Boro where.

• Like 1

This might be controversial, but I'd like to see us name a stand after Jack. I think that would be far more fitting for our history and heritage than the current N S E W designations. Not sure who we'd name the other three stands after, but a fan poll by MFC would probably come up with the right results.

• Like 2

I think its more likely that we name Lounges and such after him but a statue would get my vote!

The problem with naming stands is we only have four of them and then you get into Mannion, Shepherdson, Camsell, Hardwick etc. and then later on TLF, Big Jack and Steve Gibson himself. Arguably Rioch and McClaren also would be deserving of something named after them. We only have four stands and at some future point there will always be a deserving individual so I think its best that we keep to N,S,E and W but I certainly wouldn't oppose it.

JACK SHOULD HAVE HAD HIS OWN THREAD.

It's shocking hiding a legend and icon away in a poxy catch all Boro other news thread, 

RIP Jack. You led the club out of a long period of the 2nd division wilderness.

• Like 2