oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

@Redcar Rioja didn't want to quote your whole interesting post. As it stands, rightly or wrongly, I don't think the EFL has to do full due diligence on prospective buyers, that is for the existing owners to do. Just proof of funds does the EFL. It does seem to be a free for all and at some point the powers that be have to rise above it and put a board in place that looks after the league rather than have club chairmen resisting change. It seems to be all paper talk instead of action at the minute. Their lack of action re Birmingham earlier this year does not fill me with confidence that they care. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

What the EFL should have done is, as soon as Wigan couldn't mathmatically finish in the bottom 3 the 12 point deduction should have been applied so that they and the rest of the teams know where they stand.  Of course there is an appeal, as with any case where a sanction or sentence has been applied, this happens in all walks of life. The EFL have to acknowledge the right to appeal.

I fully expect that the 12 point deduction will be applied once the final whistle blows on Wednesday night. I'd still like a win or a draw just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

In all seriousness perhaps the EFL should scrap their fit and proper person test along with their Financial fair play rules as it would appear they are not fit for purpose and let things return to winner takes all. They were supposed to prevent clubs form getting into a mess but Accrington Stanley apart all those years ago I can't recall so many clubs being in serious trouble in such a short space of time. Maybe the EFL (and the FA) need to fix the causes rather then putting sticking plasters over the symptoms.

It would have been straightforward and simple to hit Wigan with a 12 point deduction instead of trying to give them a double whammy of if they haven't already been relegated then they would be hit again. Talk about kicking a club when its down. There needs to be punishment but I think the context of it needs to be taken into consideration.

Whichever team finishes 22nd tomorrow night, their players probably aren't going to be slumped on the pitch and their fans won't be weeping into their lager. They're likely to be repeatedly reloading the EFL website waiting for a press release about Wigan to be uploaded. That's no way for a football season to conclude.

Whatever else this wretched, miserable season has shown us, it has proved beyond doubt that the EFL is no longer fit for purpose. And its fit and proper persons test can get in the bin.

• Like 3

Desperately hoping Leeds beat Charlton and/or we get at least a point, so I don't have to do exactly that.

I fully expect the appeal to be rejected, but the uncertainty is horrible and I'd not be able to relax till the announcement. Could be a week long wait.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mj south said:

I honestly cannot believe how a organisation as big as the EFL has managed to make such a mess over the Wigan points deduction, surely though as the rule is a 12 point deduction for going into administration and other teams have had to accept such a penalty recently there should be no grounds for appeal at all!

Its pretty embarrassing for them on how poorly they have dealt with it

The FA has long been criticised for being little more than an "old boys" club, run by people who are there based on who they know, rather than what they know. One classic example being the fiasco over Wembley Stadium (years of delays and ending up costing nearly 3 times the original budget).

Not to mention all the perennial guff about helping grass roots football and nurturing more homegrown talent, to improve the prospects of the national team.

I've been saying ever since that they need a proper clearout...replace those clowns with people that actually have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

As @Brunners said last night Charlton now have an embargo and EFL are looking into their takeover. There's going to be no one left. 

Wow we might make the playoffs yet 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Whilst it was probably very tempting I am glad the Championship was allowed to finish, can not recall a season such as this for drama on and off the pitch!

Tell me about it, they were performing a rendition of a midsummer night's dream at the riverside after the match on Saturday.

• Haha 1