• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Well I doubt fans be returning in October now if it's illegal for more than 6 people to gather socially from Monday 😞

It would help if a bigger percentage of people would adhere to the guidelines. As a country we are one of the lowest Wearers of face coverings At about 37% where as Spain France are in the 80’s. The illegal raves gatherings don’t help either. It just seems we have a larger amount of really selfish people in this country

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Uwe said:

It would help if a bigger percentage of people would adhere to the guidelines. As a country we are one of the lowest Wearers of face coverings At about 37% where as Spain France are in the 80’s. The illegal raves gatherings don’t help either. It just seems we have a larger amount of really selfish people in this country

Or absolute morons, if the conspiracy theorists on Twitter and Facebook are anything to go by.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Or absolute morons, if the conspiracy theorists on Twitter and Facebook are anything to go by.

Not all conspiracy theorists are morons! I think the ones who reckon Neil Buchanan is Banksy may be onto something

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I came off social media twitter/Facebook because I was honestly starting to hate everyone. I was believing that 90% of the general public are absolute F***tards (and I really believed it) it took a while for me to realise that only 5% are morons but are massively overly represented in the press. And I’m a lot happier for it 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I came off social media twitter/Facebook because I was honestly starting to hate everyone. I was believing that 90% of the general public are absolute F***tards (and I really believed it) it took a while for me to realise that only 5% are morons but are massively overly represented in the press. And I’m a lot happier for it 

It's those 5% to 10% with extreme views that currently ruin Social Media for everyone (along with the idiots posting nonsense just to provoke a response). They jump up and down, screaming at anything they personally find offensive and then start hurling insults (ironically then often becoming guilty of the very thing they are morally untouchable about).

Life is very seldom black or white there are many striations of grey in between. I find it strange that seemingly intelligent people can in the case of say politics as just one example simply see everything Boris does as great/disastrous or everything that Corbyn did was wonderful/dangerous (same in the US be it Trump and Obama or Biden). As a consequence it becomes very tedious reading the same old predictable extreme bull on everything without ever considering that it is entirely possible that maybe Boris was right on some things and likewise Corbyn just as much as they could be wrong. 

Throw in a huge amount of other topics and the desperation to simply close people down rather than debate and heaven forbid open minds, just shoving their own rhetoric down throats has become tediously boring.  Social media could and should be a vehicle for interesting debate and discussion perhaps even moving perspectives even if it is only slightly. Unfortunately as soon as the discussions start the extremists are predictably out in force with blinkered jaundiced views clothed in their cloak of infallibility or worse still with caps lock on. Heaven forbid that the answer could just maybe lie somewhere in between.

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It's those 5% to 10% with extreme views that currently ruin Social Media for everyone (along with the idiots posting nonsense just to provoke a response). They jump up and down, screaming at anything they personally find offensive and then start hurling insults (ironically then often becoming guilty of the very thing they are morally untouchable about).

Life is very seldom black or white there are many striations of grey in between. I find it strange that seemingly intelligent people can in the case of say politics as just one example simply see everything Boris does as great/disastrous or everything that Corbyn did was wonderful/dangerous (same in the US be it Trump and Obama or Biden). As a consequence it becomes very tedious reading the same old predictable extreme bull on everything without ever considering that it is entirely possible that maybe Boris was right on some things and likewise Corbyn just as much as they could be wrong. 

Throw in a huge amount of other topics and the desperation to simply close people down rather than debate and heaven forbid open minds, just shoving their own rhetoric down throats has become tediously boring.  Social media could and should be a vehicle for interesting debate and discussion perhaps even moving perspectives even if it is only slightly. Unfortunately as soon as the discussions start the extremists are predictably out in force with blinkered jaundiced views clothed in their cloak of infallibility or worse still with caps lock on. Heaven forbid that the answer could just maybe lie somewhere in between.

So very true. 

I just don't react to those trolls anymore.. Ignoring them makes the dissappeaer.. 

If everybody did the same, they would quite quickly get bored

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Don't you know Bill Gates created this virus so he be able to vaccinate us all with something deadly 🙄 lol these people who believe this stuff

31 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Nicely summed up my feelings there.

I only use Twitter but the amount of abuse you can get for expressing any remotely controversial views, (or even just disagreeing with people) is insane!

Been called a fascist, xenophobe, gammon (had to laugh at that one - wrong colour & and age bracket) and all manner of things.

As you said, I think most people seem to use social media as a platform to just get attention. Presumably they can't get on any reality TV shows, so they act like idiots there. Even supposedly intelligent people seem to ignore the points you're trying to make and just parrot whatever they've heard their favourite politician or pop star say.

Fortunately I also follow people like Neil de Grasse Tyson, Jim Al-Khalili, Alice Roberts and the Darwin Awards (as well as the Boro) so I do get some intelligent and fun stuff to read as well.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

Don't you know Bill Gates created this virus so he be able to vaccinate us all with something deadly 🙄 lol these people who believe this stuff

The one about 5G mobile phone masts spreading coronavirus has to be one of the best! 😂 

Animated GIF

• Haha 1

The problem is that Facebook/Twitter etc make their money through clicks, views, etc, so it is counter to their business model to kick people off the service or delete posts. I'm sick of reporting racist, anti-lgbt, anti-immigrant, hate speech on FB and having the response 'this falls within our community guidelines'. Only that I use messenger and its the only way I keep in touch with some people (and use the site for login to other sites) I'd be out of there.