oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Boris telling people to get back to cinemas yesterday. The decision making of this government is laughable. You are telling me that people can sit together in a cramped cinema room, but not outdoors socially distanced at a football match?

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Boris telling people to get back to cinemas yesterday. The decision making of this government is laughable. You are telling me that people can sit together in a cramped cinema room, but not outdoors socially distanced at a football match?

That is a weird one.

Also gonna be a lot more difficult with Cineworld mothballing all their cinemas for the foreseeable future.

Even without that, I don't see how it would be possible with large parts of the North East and West now being under regional lockdown or increased restrictions.

3 hours ago, BoroJake said:

You don’t sit together in a cinema they spread where you can sit out 😁

it’s probably more about getting 20-30k people in and out of the stadiums safely than where they sit.

52 minutes ago, ABH said:

You don’t sit together in a cinema they spread where you can sit out 😁

it’s probably more about getting 20-30k people in and out of the stadiums safely than where they sit.

Really? But not one fan is allowed in a stadium at the moment. Right now it's not about 20k, it's about much less than that. I'm not saying I thoroughly agree with it at all, I'm shocked anyone is allowed to be in these public spaces together right now... but there's no doubt there's a real difference between what cinemas are allowed to do and what football can do.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Really? But not one fan is allowed in a stadium at the moment. Right now it's not about 20k, it's about much less than that. I'm not saying I thoroughly agree with it at all, I'm shocked anyone is allowed to be in these public spaces together right now... but there's no doubt there's a real difference between what cinemas are allowed to do and what football can do.

Which lucky fan should the club let in? 😁

The club needs a minimum amount of fans at the games to cover the cost of staff/policing etc. So club wouldn’t want only 1k fans allowed in. It was ok for a one of test but over a season it would cost them more

1 hour ago, ABH said:

Which lucky fan should the club let in? 😁

The club needs a minimum amount of fans at the games to cover the cost of staff/policing etc. So club wouldn’t want only 1k fans allowed in. It was ok for a one of test but over a season it would cost them more

But you don't even get the same number of police in for every regular game. They are all categorised based on the level of risk and resources are assigned to fit given scenarios, i.e. Sunderland or Newcastle coming to town would be a class A, Wycombe or Rotherham is probably more likely a C.

And then you have the early cup games where we don't even bother opening up the full stadium so that's less staff in general across the board. There's clearly a balance that could be struck here. The problem everyone has is that nobody is even trying to find that balance with football whereas restaurants, pubs, cinemas, they're not just open to the public and any Joe Bloggs who wants to come, the government is encouraging people to head back into those environments.

One of the reasons the club stopped having preseason games at home was because they lose money on them and they are low risk games. 
you can’t compare a 100 people going to the cinema with 1000s of people leaving a stadium at the same time. All the games will probably be classed high risk because of trying to maintain social distance rules

24 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/northern-irelands-hectic-schedule-concerns-19059998

Ridiculous fixture schedule with no concerns for players or parent clubs.

They'll have both played more games for ni than for boro this season after these fixtures. Mental.

1 hour ago, ABH said:

One of the reasons the club stopped having preseason games at home was because they lose money on them and they are low risk games. 
you can’t compare a 100 people going to the cinema with 1000s of people leaving a stadium at the same time. All the games will probably be classed high risk because of trying to maintain social distance rules

Couldn't it be staggered? I'm sure most people wouldn't mind hanging round an extra half an hour if it meant they'd be allowed to watch the game. 

To be honest I'm more concerned about not being able to see my family at the moment. Its strange that people seem to be more in uproar about not going to the pub and missing football than they do family. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Couldn't it be staggered? I'm sure most people wouldn't mind hanging round an extra half an hour if it meant they'd be allowed to watch the game. 

To be honest I'm more concerned about not being able to see my family at the moment. Its strange that people seem to be more in uproar about not going to the pub and missing football than they do family. 

It probably would have to be staggered but how long would it take to clear a stadium? It took me 30 minutes to get into Asda the other day 😀

50 minutes ago, ABH said:

It probably would have to be staggered but how long would it take to clear a stadium? It took me 30 minutes to get into Asda the other day 😀

Surely not that long for a 1000 people, obviously the more you have then it gets a bit more complicated. 

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

You obviously haven’t met my family. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ABH said:

Why can't you? If you can get 100 people out of a cinema safely, why can't you do it with 1000s of people in a stadium? And why does the time it takes matter so much when, just like attending the cinema or going to the pub, the biggest risk is clearly taken by the individual? They're the people who'll know and have to appreciate that extra time getting in and out. They've already paid their money too.

When I mentioned risk, I was talking about police numbers. Why would any game with such relatively low attendance figures be classed as high risk in those books? The COVID handling is a separate thing, you don't increase police presence to deal with it.

I'm just saying too, if the club was gonna lose tons of money from fans attendance and be so bothered about that, they wouldn't be helping to spread the message of allowing them to open. They'd be pushing back on the EFL. Not to mention at the moment, every game fans aren't in the stadium, they are gonna have to pay out to each ST holder at the end of the season with their refunds.

• Like 1