oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

On 11/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Well yes, hence us being put into Tier 3 when we were Tier 2 before the national lockdown.

Also there's no way people are going to follow the rules. Too many selfish idiots.

Sadly inevitable. I'm betting there will be a third lockdown after Christmas. Positive tests, hospitalisations and deaths will be higher than ever come January. 🙄

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

12 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Sadly inevitable. I'm betting there will be a third lockdown after Christmas. Positive tests, hospitalisations and deaths will be higher than ever come January. 🙄

I fully expect that we will be back in full lockdown by mid January; at least in the North and Midlands (London and the South might get spared as putting them into another lockdown would be politically more damaging for the government in the longer-term due to voting patterns).  Allowing the Christmas window and then locking us down again after enables the government to be seen to be doing something about the virus and all the 'irresponsible' people in the North, and therefore keeps their core Southern voters happy. 

I will admit that I have broken the current lockdown, but I have done so in a responsible way.  I live on my own and have no remaining family, so I do not have significant contact with people (not of the sort that would promote virus spread).  I have one friend who I saw a few times in the Summer, and there was one occasion we met up with a couple of other people outside at the picnic tables at the Dales Centre.  Other than that, I have not seen anyone properly since early March.  I am in the very vulnerable group (on medical grounds, not age) and was shielding until August.  Being trapped inside and never seeing anyone has been really bad for my mental health to the point where I have sometimes felt like I would be better off dead.  I have been doing 'non essential' trips out because I cannot cope with being shut in any more.  I have been driving to places on my own and not been in close contact with anyone other than passing on footpaths (on places like Hedleyhope and Waskerley) or on my weekly Greggs trip.  There are days when I have gone for a drive simply to get out of the house.  I need to go beyond my village to not feel shut in and sub-human.  I am not in a social bubble because most people are in bubbles with their parents or children and the the small number who aren't had formed themselves into friendship pair bubbles while I was still shielding.  

The whole system assumes that everyone has a partner or family.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, White Band said:

I fully expect that we will be back in full lockdown by mid January; at least in the North and Midlands (London and the South might get spared as putting them into another lockdown would be politically more damaging for the government in the longer-term due to voting patterns).  Allowing the Christmas window and then locking us down again after enables the government to be seen to be doing something about the virus and all the 'irresponsible' people in the North, and therefore keeps their core Southern voters happy. 

I will admit that I have broken the current lockdown, but I have done so in a responsible way.  I live on my own and have no remaining family, so I do not have significant contact with people (not of the sort that would promote virus spread).  I have one friend who I saw a few times in the Summer, and there was one occasion we met up with a couple of other people outside at the picnic tables at the Dales Centre.  Other than that, I have not seen anyone properly since early March.  I am in the very vulnerable group (on medical grounds, not age) and was shielding until August.  Being trapped inside and never seeing anyone has been really bad for my mental health to the point where I have sometimes felt like I would be better off dead.  I have been doing 'non essential' trips out because I cannot cope with being shut in any more.  I have been driving to places on my own and not been in close contact with anyone other than passing on footpaths (on places like Hedleyhope and Waskerley) or on my weekly Greggs trip.  There are days when I have gone for a drive simply to get out of the house.  I need to go beyond my village to not feel shut in and sub-human.  I am not in a social bubble because most people are in bubbles with their parents or children and the the small number who aren't had formed themselves into friendship pair bubbles while I was still shielding.  

Sorry to hear about your situation, it must be tough being isolated from people. You say you have broken the rules but I wouldnt beat yourself up over that, you need to get out and see people sometimes.  

I do believe that some elements of our population have made the situation worse by breaking the rules but I certainly wouldn't lump you in that category. 

• Like 1

There's breaking the rules by going to see your family for a much needed bit of social interaction, and there's breaking the rules by having a *** house party every weekend.

Guess which one my family have been doing and guess which one our *** neighbours have been doing?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, White Band said:

You're in a similar situation to me by the sounds of it...although I'm not classed as vulnerable.

I have some sympathy for the government in that, when you're trying to implement a national policy, you nearly always have to make some assumptions and sweeping generalisations and end up with something that doesn't quite fit everyone.

They also (naively IMO) gave a fair bit of leeway at times and assumed everyone would act responsibly...which contributed to us still being in this mess.

If you act responsibly and keep your distance, mask up when necessary, use hand sanitiser etc. then you're not really doing anything wrong, in terms of worsening the spread of the virus.

Its the morons who insist on holding house parties, raves, congregating outside pubs (not wearing masks), going ahead with weddings etc. who are prolonging the misery and suffering for the rest of us.

You sound like a sensible bloke, so just keep doing what you need to, to retain your sanity (maybe try not following Boro for a while - that can't be helping 😁 )

• Like 1

We appear to be ball number 25 in tomorrow nights draw. Given present circumstances, not sure whether to hope for a quick exit to avoid fatigue and injuries or a decent run to boost confidence. Either way just hope we get matched with a team that are from lower in the leagues so that if they win, they get a bit of extra cash at a time that could help them and if we win, then hopefully will allow us to give some squad players a run out. Don't want to see another Prem draw..  strange how they nearly always manage to avoid meeting each other until the latter stages    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

It is very unfair I feel all our promotion rivals can have their fans back but we can't. If the whole league can't have fans back no one should as it results in unfair advantage!

I'm not sure a couple of thousand people will make much of a difference?  I can't say I'm too bothered about going back until everyone is going to be back, if for no other reason than the atmosphere will be rubbish.  May as well just stay at home and watch it on a stream.

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not sure a couple of thousand people will make much of a difference?  I can't say I'm too bothered about going back until everyone is going to be back, if for no other reason than the atmosphere will be rubbish.  May as well just stay at home and watch it on a stream.

Respectfully disagree. Two thousand people make most of the noise in the Riverside, so if we just let Red Faction in, I doubt the players would notice any difference in atmosphere compared to a pre-COVID matchday!

Just now, RiseAgainst said:

Respectfully disagree. Two thousand people make most of the noise in the Riverside, so if we just let Red Faction in, I doubt the players would notice any difference in atmosphere compared to a pre-COVID matchday!

You say that but when there is 20,000 people in there, noise is coming from all over really.  I'm trying to think what the lowest attendances were that I've been to at the Riverside.  Sampdoria friendly years back must have been a few thousand.  There was an FA Cup replay against Wimbledon in January that didn't have too many there.  Some early round cup games obviously as well.  The atmosphere is usually rubbish and those attendances would have all been higher than a couple of thousand.

• Like 1

I'm just glad to get sport back, at the end of the day if a team has a slight advantage to another who cares. 

Its the same with covid, a team could lose a star player for a fortnight if they catch it just like teams can be unlucky with injuries. 

I saw Lampard moaning about it the other day and some times I think you've got to suck it up and get on with it. Life's not fair and sometimes football isn't either.  

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It wasn't terrible with 1000 people against Bournemouth.

It'd only be an issue with limited fans if all 4 stands are open.

The atmospheres are only rubbish in cup matches because people don't really care about cup matches anymore.

33 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It wasn't terrible with 1000 people against Bournemouth.

It'd only be an issue with limited fans if all 4 stands are open.

The atmospheres are only rubbish in cup matches because people don't really care about cup matches anymore.

Yeah, I think it's a bit more than that.  If people didn't care then they wouldn't spend the time and money attending.  I wasn't at the Bournemouth game, so clearly I can't speak to that as you can, but my experience of low attendances is that the atmosphere is distinctly lacking.  Probably more than 2,000 at the big screen games we've held there?

We're not comparing like with like, though. You can't compare the apathy people might have felt watching early-round cup games when Pulis or Woodgate was in charge with the endorphin release of attending the Riverside for the first time in almost a year - and being one of the lucky few able to do so.

I realise some people don't want to go to any sporting events til we have a vaccine rollout, but personally, after the year I've just endured, I'd sing my heart out given the chance. I suspect a lot of other people would see a matchday visit to the Riverside as a blessed relief, and 2,000 fans could make a hell of a racket if they're allowed to sing and shout.

22 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

We're not comparing like with like, though. You can't compare the apathy people might have felt watching early-round cup games when Pulis or Woodgate was in charge with the endorphin release of attending the Riverside for the first time in almost a year - and being one of the lucky few able to do so.

I realise some people don't want to go to any sporting events til we have a vaccine rollout, but personally, after the year I've just endured, I'd sing my heart out given the chance. I suspect a lot of other people would see a matchday visit to the Riverside as a blessed relief, and 2,000 fans could make a hell of a racket if they're allowed to sing and shout.

I've been watching Boro a bit longer than just Pulis and Woodgate 🙂

But yeah I get what you mean, I'm sure people will enjoy being there, I'm just not that bothered about it myself.