oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

If you were a pro footballer, would you sign anything without your agent's knowledge? He is either incredibly stupid or speaking with a forked tongue and if he believes that his manager knew nothing about any discussions then I know which option I would choose. Either way, the right decision was made ..I can just envisage a dressing room where an underperforming player has a brother in law as his manager.  recipe for bother .. doubt any proper manager would want to deal with that, so he should be grateful that he got another decent contract from Blackburn..  and that they were willing to resign him when no-one else was interested     

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

The truth is Downing was no longer good enough would of been wrong for Gibson to of given him another bumper contact. I did envisage him being a coach mind in the academy or something 

That isn't the point of what Downing is talking about though. 

Of course it was the right time for him to move on but the club has acted dishonestly by the sounds of things. 

If Downing is right then it paints Gibson and the club in a terrible light. His ability on the pitch at that time is irrelevant. 

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That isn't the point of what Downing is talking about though. 

Of course it was the right time for him to move on but the club has acted dishonestly by the sounds of things. 

If Downing is right then it paints Gibson and the club in a terrible light. His ability on the pitch at that time is irrelevant. 

I like that he told his Dad and his Dad went and had an argument with Gibbo, like Stewy had been dropped from the school team 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

I like that he told his Dad and his Dad went and had an argument with Gibbo, like Stewy had been dropped from the school team 🤣

😂 

I'm not sure its a case of Downing getting his Dad to stick up for him. I think Downing's Dad and  Gibson were close which is why he probably got involved! 

Yeah I think the point has been missed a bit. I'm not sure anyone would disagree that it was the right call by the club to not offer Downing a new deal. But the way we have gone about that (If what Downing says is true) is downright poor.
Promising something then at the last minute changing those goalposts is not great. Big believer in being upfront and honest when it comes to talk/discussions like this.

• Like 1

In my Experience it’s never what one person says or what the other says but somewhere in the middle. But in this situation I don’t think anyone comes out of it looking good 

10 minutes ago, Uwe said:

In my Experience it’s never what one person says or what the other says but somewhere in the middle. But in this situation I don’t think anyone comes out of it looking good 

How does that saying go, 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other?

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

How does that saying go, 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other?

Exactly. Now we can believe Stewy and that the club are a bunch of t**ts or believe it’s all nonsense therefore Stewy is a t**t. 
More likely tho the club offered a reduced term contract to what he was expecting (possibly  due to not getting in the playoffs) he’s consulted his dad who in turn blew a gasket at Steve/Neil who went on to tell them both to do one. This way there both t**ts 🤪

• Haha 1

I'm more inclined to believe Stewy tbh as he's not the 1st player who we have s**t on when they have left the club and even Shwarzer says he had similar experiences in the podcast.

Like him or not, but the s**t on him from a big height especially when it came to the extension clause. We all understood it and agreed we shouldn't be playing him financially, but to leave it to the last minute for a player who has given so much to the club since Academy days is extremely poor management.

All this just sums up how inept we are at managing players, coaches and non playing staff. Time after time we hear the same stories regarding how we let people go and treat people.

I hope this finally gets people off Stewy's back and start giving him the appreciation that he deserves. By far he's the best ever player to come out of our Academy. 

In regards to Karanka, I just wish he finally told people the truth of the player who it was who called him out and it will surprise many people. The argument escalated the following season and erupted between himself and Valdes, and the club ran a story saying both players were 'injured'. It was absolute shambles and Gibson was afraid to get involved.

Put it this way though, Karanka will NEVER come back as manager whilst Gibson is here.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

I'm more inclined to believe Stewy tbh as he's not the 1st player who we have s**t on when they have left the club and even Shwarzer says he had similar experiences in the podcast.

Like him or not, but the s**t on him from a big height especially when it came to the extension clause. We all understood it and agreed we shouldn't be playing him financially, but to leave it to the last minute for a player who has given so much to the club since Academy days is extremely poor management.

All this just sums up how inept we are at managing players, coaches and non playing staff. Time after time we hear the same stories regarding how we let people go and treat people.

I hope this finally gets people off Stewy's back and start giving him the appreciation that he deserves. By far he's the best ever player to come out of our Academy. 

In regards to Karanka, I just wish he finally told people the truth of the player who it was who called him out and it will surprise many people. The argument escalated the following season and erupted between himself and Valdes, and the club ran a story saying both players were 'injured'. It was absolute shambles and Gibson was afraid to get involved.

Put it this way though, Karanka will NEVER come back as manager whilst Gibson is here.

Spill the beans buddy. 

Now I’m no litigation lawyer but I’m pretty sure as long start the post with ‘Allegedly’ you’re covered from a legal perspective (Allegedly) 😉

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Like him or not, but the s**t on him from a big height especially when it came to the extension clause. We all understood it and agreed we shouldn't be playing him financially, but to leave it to the last minute for a player who has given so much to the club since Academy days is extremely poor management..

Of course, if we had a different, less scrupulous manager at the time - one that was more self centered and only out for himself, we might have wondered whether that manager knew all about the reluctance ( or absolute refusal?) of the club to offer SD an extension and also knew about the automatic extension clause and the clubs desire not to trigger it right from the beginning of the season. We might have wondered whether that manager decided not to tell SD that he wouldn’t be getting an offer until the last minute, so as to ensure full commitment from SD. Finally we might have wondered whether the potential offer of a reduced rate contract was also never going to happen and that manager just strug SD along in the hope that we would get promotion and could afford to give the extension/new contract.

When I first read the article, I assumed when it said “Steve Gibson literally told me, we had a meeting”, it meant SG had met SD and told him directly. If you ignore the quote marks though, he could equally have meant “ Pulis told me (SD) that Steve Gibson had literally told him (TP) at a meeting that the club would give a new contract out if I would sign the waiver.”

There are three parties here - Gibson, Downing and Pulis. The only one speaking in the podcast is Downing and most ( or maybe even all) of what he says is what he was told by Pulis. I guess we will never know Gibsons side of the story. Maybe SD is right to be aggrieved with the club, but I suspect there might be more to it than purely Gibson string Stevie along.

Do we accept that Karanka fell out with a lot of people now

35 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Here is Stewie talking about the pre-Charlton incident.

I wonder if this will change a few people's minds when it comes to Saint Aitor?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1