oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Like him or not, but the s**t on him from a big height especially when it came to the extension clause. We all understood it and agreed we shouldn't be playing him financially, but to leave it to the last minute for a player who has given so much to the club since Academy days is extremely poor management.

Tbh as a club we’ve given a hell of a lot more to Downing than the other way around. Doesn’t excuse the behavior from the club though if it’s true. 

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

I love that Duncan Watmore's pick for favourite Christmas song and film is Little Drummer Boy and It's a Wonderful Life.

Proper old man choices compared to the rest of the squad who were smashing out Mariah Carey and Love Actually.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I love that Duncan Watmore's pick for favourite Christmas song and film is Little Drummer Boy and It's a Wonderful Life.

Proper old man choices compared to the rest of the squad who were smashing out Mariah Carey and Love Actually.

Hes a right posh lad isn't he haha

16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Do we accept that Karanka fell out with a lot of people now

I wonder if this will change a few people's minds when it comes to Saint Aitor?

Was that ever in doubt? He's a manager who worked under Mourinho, of course he fell out with players!

• Like 1
On 12/25/2020 at 1:07 AM, Changing Times said:

Do we accept that Karanka fell out with a lot of people now

I wonder if this will change a few people's minds when it comes to Saint Aitor?

Not really.

Between Downing and Woodgate $hit stirring, it's no wonder AK threw a wobbler. Downing bringing all this up now shows a distinct lack of class. The guys a millionaire and can't stop bitching. It was all avoidable too, if Gibson would stop interfering with signing players that the manager's don't want at the club. Gibson Has a track record for interference.  Hopefully Warnock will keep him on the straight and narrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

Not really.

Between Downing and Woodgate $hit stirring, it's no wonder AK threw a wobbler. Downing bringing all this up now shows a distinct lack of class. The guys a millionaire and can't stop bitching. It was all avoidable too, if Gibson would stop interfering with signing players that the manager's don't want at the club. Gibson Has a track record for interference.  Hopefully Warnock will keep him on the straight and narrow.

I’m beginning to think that you’re not a fan of Gibbo #spidysense 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

Not really.

Downing's being asked a question by a now-sports journalist and former colleague and he's telling his side of the story. As far as I can tell, Schwarzer is seeking people to contribute on his podcast, it's not Downing looking for any potential avenue to throw crap at the club. If that was the case, we would have heard all of this story a lot sooner, especially him targeting the club over failed promises a year and a half ago. He's spoken to the Gazette a couple of times since then and never on the record said anything about this as far as I can tell (either that or the Gazette weren't willing to print it).

He's not bitching about money at the end of the day which is why I really don't think it's relevant about him being a millionaire, though why you'd target him for being a millionaire when the club and Gibson are significantly richer than that is beyond me. In terms of monetary power, his is still dwarfed in comparison to our club.

He signed a contract with certain clauses in it which the club only revealed and forced the manager's hands just before the game it came into effect. I think in that situation the bloke who should be most *** off is Pulis, for a start. He's trying to prepare his team game by game and then gets told last minute that because of a previously untold contract clause, he loses a player which at the time, was one of the first on his team-sheet if I remember correctly. The whole thing is bloody laughable as Downing then gets brought on as a sub in order to avoid fulfilling the clause.

Then, the club resolves that situation by having Downing sign a waiver in his contract, seemingly with nothing but an intention to extend his playing contract on lower wages and have an offer of coaching after. He certainly wasn't bitching when he signed that, was he? He signed something without any legal protection, a gentleman's agreement only. The power is all in the club's hands there, they legally don't have to offer him anything but morally, the lad is entitled to something. When the club then doesn't offer that, they break that moral obligation. That's dirty business tactics employed by Gibson, Bausor and the lot of them. At this point, I couldn't care less if Downing's legs had gone, if he was ineffective or just plain too expensive to keep around.

All I can say now is that Gibson can hate on agents all he wants but unless he's willing to follow through on agreements like those, his business practices are part of why agents must exist.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Downing's being asked a question by a now-sports journalist and former colleague and he's telling his side of the story. As far as I can tell, Schwarzer is seeking people to contribute on his podcast, it's not Downing looking for any potential avenue to throw crap at the club. If that was the case, we would have heard all of this story a lot sooner, especially him targeting the club over failed promises a year and a half ago. He's spoken to the Gazette a couple of times since then and never on the record said anything about this as far as I can tell (either that or the Gazette weren't willing to print it).

He's not bitching about money at the end of the day which is why I really don't think it's relevant about him being a millionaire, though why you'd target him for being a millionaire when the club and Gibson are significantly richer than that is beyond me. In terms of monetary power, his is still dwarfed in comparison to our club.

He signed a contract with certain clauses in it which the club only revealed and forced the manager's hands just before the game it came into effect. I think in that situation the bloke who should be most *** off is Pulis, for a start. He's trying to prepare his team game by game and then gets told last minute that because of a previously untold contract clause, he loses a player which at the time, was one of the first on his team-sheet if I remember correctly. The whole thing is bloody laughable as Downing then gets brought on as a sub in order to avoid fulfilling the clause.

Then, the club resolves that situation by having Downing sign a waiver in his contract, seemingly with nothing but an intention to extend his playing contract on lower wages and have an offer of coaching after. He certainly wasn't bitching when he signed that, was he? He signed something without any legal protection, a gentleman's agreement only. The power is all in the club's hands there, they legally don't have to offer him anything but morally, the lad is entitled to something. When the club then doesn't offer that, they break that moral obligation. That's dirty business tactics employed by Gibson, Bausor and the lot of them. At this point, I couldn't care less if Downing's legs had gone, if he was ineffective or just plain too expensive to keep around.

All I can say now is that Gibson can hate on agents all he wants but unless he's willing to follow through on agreements like those, his business practices are part of why agents must exist.

Downing's a disgrace. I could tell you a true story about him, however, it would be deleted almost immediately.

Edited by Erimus 63
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

Downing's a disgrace. I could tell you a true story about him, however, it  would deleted almost immediately.

Would this disgrace-ridden true story have any effect on why Gibson shouldn't treat him as a professional? If Gibson would know about it, is there any reason Downing should have ever been at the club? I mean, the allegations against Darren Randolph never truly got dealt with as far as I can tell and we certainly didn't look like we took the moral high ground with that one either, however much truth there was to it.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Would this disgrace-ridden true story have any effect on why Gibson shouldn't treat him as a professional? If Gibson would know about it, is there any reason Downing should have ever been at the club? I mean, the allegations against Darren Randolph never truly got dealt with as far as I can tell and we certainly didn't look like we took the moral high ground with that one either, however much truth there was to it.

I won't go into to it, there's no point. I'm sure Gibson knew, but chose to ignore it, He's a very lucky boy to say the least...

I think Downing sounded genuinely gutted about what happened here and while schwarzers complaint was a bit frivolous it does give add to the picture of how the club works. 
The annoying thing about that podcast was it felt like Downing wanted to really open up about them 2 seasons but Schwarzer moved on to Blackburn, would have been interesting to hear more.

I think we’ve all noticed the change in gibson and the club which for me goes back to the Southgate days. Since then we’ve averaged almost 1 new manager per season, plus the fact he’s totally disconnected from the fans other than to dish out actual empty promises. Downing should be kissing Steve’s rear end yet all he could do was sigh in disappointment. I don’t doubt that it won’t be as one sided as he made out but was probably as revealing as we’re gonna get.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Is that a fact? Or a supposition based on what Downing said he was told by Pulis? If its a fact, then fair enough, but if your assuming that, isn't it just as possible that Pulis knew all about it and was manipulating Downing with everything he told him?