• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Yeah viduka is probably an odd one out in that quartet. The downing and schwarzer stuff is well documented and every man and his dog could see we treated mendieta really poorly at the end of his contract. Viduka on the other hand only really turned up when he needed a new deal and went and signed for our rivals so I've not got an awful lot of sympathy for him.

We didn’t even talk to Viduka about a new contract until it was too late. If it’s happened to Downing and Schwarzer, it probably happened to Viduka as well.

3 hours ago, Humpty said:

We didn’t even talk to Viduka about a new contract until it was too late. If it’s happened to Downing and Schwarzer, it probably happened to Viduka as well.

We aren't under any obligation to start contract talks with anyone at a particular time. Viduka was one of the best paid players in our team at a point where we were about to go on a huge cost cutting exercise as a result over over paying for players for years, of which he was certianly one of them. Add to that that he was very poor or injured for us for long periods up until the last 6 months of his contract, I don't think we did anything wrong there.

• Like 2

Btw I loved viduka at times for us, if he was consistently as good as he could be he would have been one of the best strikers in the league because he had everything. I just don't think we did anything wrong with his contract situation.

He scored 19 goals in his last season for us, 14 in the League despite only playing three quarters of the games. The man might have missed the odd game but he was absolutely on fire his last season with us when he played.

In the end, maybe we did need his wages off the books. But I'm not sure that's the whole story being told. We also clearly needed to shift Downing off the wage books, moreso even as the productivity was not even close to being worth what we were paying and we weren't in the Premier League when it happened. But it doesn't make what he alleges we did any better. If Viduka was handled similarly then that would also be wrong; it's more to do with the willingness to break agreements made over a handshake or even just general treatment of players fans hold a strong connection with than whether we were right to try and keep them on or not.

It'd be good if the chairman never got us into these daft financial arrangements to begin with and maybe we wouldn't be making decisions like that. I think people gave him the benefit of the doubt around what eventually happened in 2009 because we were not long since a club operating in European football and tried to get back to that whilst also cutting back. The risks we've taken that have hampered us most in recent years however have taken place whilst we were already in the Championship and showing very little threat of getting out of it at the right end so I'm not sure why anyone would continue to give him the benefit of the doubt other than they hold some kind of grudge against Downing.

I know you're specifically talking about Viduka btw NB4 but I can definitely see how, if we were willing to treat Schwarzer and Downing so poorly, it could be applied to just about anyone including Viduka.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:53 AM, Neverbefore said:

We aren't under any obligation to start contract talks with anyone at a particular time. Viduka was one of the best paid players in our team at a point where we were about to go on a huge cost cutting exercise as a result over over paying for players for years, of which he was certianly one of them. Add to that that he was very poor or injured for us for long periods up until the last 6 months of his contract, I don't think we did anything wrong there.

Of course we're not under any obligation. That goes without saying. The fact is that we wanted him to stay as we offered him a new contract. We didn't show any commitment to him until he'd be offered a deal elsewhere, so why would he show any commitment to us? It's amateurish.

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

Of course we're not under any obligation. That goes without saying. The fact is that we wanted him to stay as we offered him a new contract. We didn't show any commitment to him until he'd be offered a deal elsewhere, so why would he show any commitment to us? It's amateurish.

We had committed plenty of cash to him. He wasn't really worth what he was getting paid before the final few months of his contract and he definately didn't deserve what he was demanding, so I see every reason why we didn't offer him anything before the very end. I seem to remember that being a good decision as he didn't do much at Newcastle did he? When you have an injury plagued player coming to the twillight of his career it's certainly not amateurish to hold off on the contract offers.

We wanted to keep hold of him because we eventually offered him a contract. Whatever happens after that is a moot point because we're discussing the manner in which we went about the negotiations. If you want to keep a player you open the dialogue early to show willing. 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:35 AM, Neverbefore said:

Yeah viduka is probably an odd one out in that quartet. The downing and schwarzer stuff is well documented and every man and his dog could see we treated mendieta really poorly at the end of his contract. Viduka on the other hand only really turned up when he needed a new deal and went and signed for our rivals so I've not got an awful lot of sympathy for him.

The fact Mendieta was never hired onto our coaching staff is an absolute travesty, the guy stayed living in Yarm for about 5 years after retiring because he loved the area that much and we wasted the opportunity to hire that brilliant footballing mind.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Humpty said:

We wanted to keep hold of him because we eventually offered him a contract. Whatever happens after that is a moot point because we're discussing the manner in which we went about the negotiations. If you want to keep a player you open the dialogue early to show willing. 

YOu have no idea what his agent was saying to the club. Maybe he'd let us know that Viduka wasn't interested in staying or that we simply couldn't be bothered with his exorbitant demands. As time went by and he didn't get the offers he thought he would we thought that maybe we could get him on our terms. If he was demanding 80k a week in january but we were only willing to pay 30k it was dead in the water. But come the end of the season maybe he was ready to listen and actually negotiate. You are incredibly good at only looking at one side of the story.

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, Borodane said:

YOu have no idea what his agent was saying to the club. Maybe he'd let us know that Viduka wasn't interested in staying or that we simply couldn't be bothered with his exorbitant demands. As time went by and he didn't get the offers he thought he would we thought that maybe we could get him on our terms. If he was demanding 80k a week in january but we were only willing to pay 30k it was dead in the water. But come the end of the season maybe he was ready to listen and actually negotiate. You are incredibly good at only looking at one side of the story.

There were no discussions full stop. 

I take an opinion based on the information I have, the motivations of parties etc. Boro have previous in this department. It stands to reason therefore, that Viduka's side of the story was accurate.

You are very presumptuous.

Edited by Humpty
On 1/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, Will said:

The fact Mendieta was never hired onto our coaching staff is an absolute travesty, the guy stayed living in Yarm for about 5 years after retiring because he loved the area that much and we wasted the opportunity to hire that brilliant footballing mind.

At least SG didn't make the same mistake twice and clearly learned his lesson by giving Woodgate the big seat. 😁

39 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

At least SG didn't make the same mistake twice and clearly learned his lesson by giving Woodgate the big seat. 😁

Speaking of Woodgate, is he still locked in a cupboard in Rockcliffe somewhere? Or is he no longer employed by MFC?

When Warnock came in, I'm sure it said somewhere the Woodgate was still employed but having an extended break or something along those lines.