oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

4 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Speaking of Woodgate, is he still locked in a cupboard in Rockcliffe somewhere? Or is he no longer employed by MFC?

When Warnock came in, I'm sure it said somewhere the Woodgate was still employed but having an extended break or something along those lines.

Similar to Agnew, right?

I'm wondering if it's because we don't want to sack them and just pay them off as if somebody wants them, they'll need to pay for them and/or we won't need to pay the rest of their wages. As opposed to genuinely wanting these people around the club.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Similar to Agnew, right?

I'm wondering if it's because we don't want to sack them and just pay them off as if somebody wants them, they'll need to pay for them and/or we won't need to pay the rest of their wages. As opposed to genuinely wanting these people around the club.

Could be something like that. Maybe we keep them on the payroll at a lower wage or something, so we don't have to pay off their original contract like you said.

3 minutes ago, Will said:

I'd be happy for Woody to take on a role in the scouting department, he clearly has an eye for talent.

I don't think there is any doubt in that, although Bola and Dijksteel never really worked out for him, under an experienced manager it shows they were/are good players. I'm pretty sure he was a scout at Liverpool covering Spain and Portugal, before he joined our coaching set-up.

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I don't think there is any doubt in that, although Bola and Dijksteel never really worked out for him, under an experienced manager it shows they were/are good players. I'm pretty sure he was a scout at Liverpool covering Spain and Portugal, before he joined our coaching set-up.

He was at Liverpool scouting before he came back to Boro. Who he uncovered for Liverpool I have no idea and don't think anyone that made the grade there could be traced back to him or at least it wasn't common public knowledge at least that I know off but happy to be corrected.

Assuming however that he does indeed have an eye for talent and that Bola and Dijksteel were down to him personally (I didn't believe a word of "that" Press Conference at the time and am inclined to be believe even less now) then a scouting role could be ideal. The problem I have is that at the time the spin that they were Woodgate's men was exactly that, spin, to try and get the gullible and stupid on board, a plan so flawed that even Basil Fawlty could have seen through it. 

A Wine connoisseur doesn't make Wine or even needs to have spent twenty years in a vineyard to identify the different notes and flavours. A Food Critic in most cases isn't a reformed Chef who failed to make the grade, in fact they are more than likely a journalist who liked his grub too much and started writing about his passion. In the past football scouts were woodbine stained, raincoat bedecked old men hanging around schoolyards and youth clubs, nowadays they would like as not be arrested but they uncovered the gems of yesteryear. Being an ex Vintner, Chef or Footballer wouldn't be harmful in those careers but not a prerequisite.

Football fans can often spot a young lad with talent (or an established player without). It stands to reason that certain players achieve almost Godlike status with supporters because of their ability and performances. Many of us can spot it in the early brief glimpses, many do fail to live up to expectations whilst others are slow burners and come good. If Woodgate is indeed capable of having such vision then he could be an asset but I keep getting flashbacks of that "Golden Thread" committee and suspicions creep in. Only time will tell I suppose.

• Like 1

@Redcar Rioja I think the Liverpool role is more interesting from the point of view that Edwards headhunted him personally, rather than who he actually scouted, if that makes sense? For Edwards to bring him on board shows he must have a decent level of ability. I know recently Woodgate himself said that he recommend Hernandez (AC Milan) and Dias (City) to Liverpool, but they didn't actually sign them. How true that is, we'll never know. 

Regarding the golden thread, I think at the time I was a little bit allured by it, mainly because I wanted us desperately to have some form of long-term plan, rather than actually being seduced by the spin at the time and who was leading us (Woodgate). If that makes sense?

That said Woodgate handed debuts to Coulson and Spence, who are still developing in my opinion, but equally in my opinion are decent enough squad players at the moment. He also handed Pears his debut too, and Pears' games with us he didn't do too much wrong compared to Bettinelli. Of course all 3 of the above players are nowhere near established in terms of having long careers at a good level, but a certain level of talent is there. Bola, Dijksteel and Browne were brought in under him too, how much of that was actually down to him we'll have no idea. But we have seen how well Bola and Dijksteel have done this season and before his injury Browne was starting to find his feet too.

19 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Redcar Rioja I think the Liverpool role is more interesting from the point of view that Edwards headhunted him personally, rather than who he actually scouted, if that makes sense? For Edwards to bring him on board shows he must have a decent level of ability. I know recently Woodgate himself said that he recommend Hernandez (AC Milan) and Dias (City) to Liverpool, but they didn't actually sign them. How true that is, we'll never know. 

Regarding the golden thread, I think at the time I was a little bit allured by it, mainly because I wanted us desperately to have some form of long-term plan, rather than actually being seduced by the spin at the time and who was leading us (Woodgate). If that makes sense?

That said Woodgate handed debuts to Coulson and Spence, who are still developing in my opinion, but equally in my opinion are decent enough squad players at the moment. He also handed Pears his debut too, and Pears' games with us he didn't do too much wrong compared to Bettinelli. Of course all 3 of the above players are nowhere near established in terms of having long careers at a good level, but a certain level of talent is there. Bola, Dijksteel and Browne were brought in under him too, how much of that was actually down to him we'll have no idea. But we have seen how well Bola and Dijksteel have done this season and before his injury Browne was starting to find his feet too.

If that's true, it's impressive. They were both known as talented players but they've become one of the top 4 or 5 players in their position in world football since then. 

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

If that's true, it's impressive. They were both known as talented players but they've become one of the top 4 or 5 players in their position in world football since then. 

If true is the biggest part of that. Going by the rough time lines he would have scouted them both before either broke into Atletico Madrid or Benfica first teams.

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If true is the biggest part of that. Going by the rough time lines he would have scouted them both before either broke into Atletico Madrid or Benfica first teams.

Don't think theo ever made it into the athletico first team but that's just me being pedantic, your point still stands!

Just now, Neverbefore said:

Don't think theo ever made it into the athletico first team but that's just me being pedantic, your point still stands!

Think you might be right, seem to remember the other Madrid signing him before he'd made a first team appearance!

"His man management, I've never seen anything like it before," he says.

"Not just with me. The way he motivates players. He just made me feel so much better.

"He just gives you so much trust, it's hard to explain and understand unless you're in the building.

That kind of thing really does stand for NW. I never had a high opinion of him before he came here, but you hear that sort of thing all the time and can see the turnaround in players since he arrived. 

• Like 3

Life after Warnock?

If he retires does anyone think he will put Blackwell & Jepson forward for the vacant role? Blackwell has managed before and he trusts them 100%.

Going off the ‘Undr the Cosh’ podcasts we do not want under any certain terms Blackwell as leader of this club 😂

Genuinely though I believe Warnock will vouch for them