oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

So here is one for our fans...

If i said there a 28yr old striker in league 1 with 23 goals this season, who plays as a target man and is a free transfer this summer i assume most would say “he definitely worth taking a look at”.

However, if i then say that striker is our ex academy striker Charle Wyke who plays for Sunderland he suddenly becomes a less attractive proposition.

So my question is this. Is Wyke worth a punt on a free? 

I would think yes but I must confess that I have not seen him play so I would have to trust you as the recruitment team @TLF10 😂

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

@Blanco haha I never seen him play closely either. Just bits and bobs here and there. 

I just posed the question as ordinarily a 23 goal target man from league below on a free I would definitely say he is worth a punt given our main focus will be a target man this summer

But when that individual becomes Charlie Wyke then in my head I become less fussed.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd say absolutely.

Hopefully after a failed attempt at promotion from Sunderland.

But I think he's destined to sign a new contract whatever happens, it's not like they're short of money now.

@TeaCider24 I am going to possibly upset you here mate by telling you I want Sunderland to come up next season.

I dont want them to do well when they come up but I feel it adds a bit of extra spice to our own season if we got two games v them to look forward. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@TeaCider24 I am going to possibly upset you here mate by telling you I want Sunderland to come up next season.

I dont want them to do well when they come up but I feel it adds a bit of extra spice to our own season if we got two games v them to look forward. 

It does, and I'm hoping Newcastle come down for the same reason, but I'd like them to have a good few more seasons down there so they'll always have the record for longest spent in the third division of the big 3 in the North East.

Older targetmen like Rickie Lambert, Daryl Murphy and Glenn Murray etc didn’t peak until their late 20’s to early thirties so I aren’t concerned about Wyke being 28 year old. Targetmen is a role that players just seem to peak a bit later than others for some reason.

League One has consistently produced some excellent players, certainly strikers, so Wyke deserves respect for his high number of goals this season. Just because he’s an ex-academy lad, it doesn’t diminish his achievements as he has made a great career for himself since leaving Boro. The majority of released and sold academy players have left us and gone in a downwards - some even dropping out of professional football completely. Wyke on the other hand has been on a steady upward career trajectory for a long while now, so it says a lot about his personality and development for him to now be among the top scorers in League One.

Wyke will have been a far better fit for our team this season than any of our current strikers. Being a big, physical presence in strike is a massive boost to being successful in the Championship. Someone like Wyke won’t get bullied out of games or be left isolated and unable to hold the ball up like Assombalonga has for the vast majority of our games. We’ve been crying out for a targetman all season to bring the best out of Warnock’s preferred style of play, so Wyke would be a huge tick in that box.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 3

Wyke and someone like Waghorn or the Bristol lad. 

If we stick with Warnock I want strikers he will use and use well. So two of them and then Akpom who may benefit from being alongside a target man.

Thats assuming Fletch leaves.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, TLF10 said:

@Blanco haha I never seen him play closely either. Just bits and bobs here and there. 

I just posed the question as ordinarily a 23 goal target man from league below on a free I would definitely say he is worth a punt given our main focus will be a target man this summer

But when that individual becomes Charlie Wyke then in my head I become less fussed.

It also begs the question as to how Sunderland set up to play to his strengths and whether Boro would / could do the same?

Not to mention the quality of opposition in League 1.

But as you say, if he were available on a free, it couldn't hurt to offer him a short-term contract. He couldn't be much worse than Britt anyway...

For a keeper I'd like us try for Grabara from Liverpool. Not sure what he'd cost but he is getting back to his best again playing on loan in Denmark. Frederik Rønnow from Frankfurt is another that might be available at a cut price deal. Very good keepers and easily good enough for the Championship. Certainly head and shoulders above Bettinelli. And if we don't want to spend money I'd rather just play Stojanovic and send Betinelli back to Fulhams bench.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

He couldn't be much worse than Britt anyway...

For those of us old enough to remember, Dusty Bin would be an upgrade on Assombalonga!

Apologies if any of Dusty's family is reading this.

I think there’s a lot of unfair criticism of Britt he is/was playing up to his standard. At championship level he is a 14/15 goal a season guy.  

The expectation that he would suddenly become a 20+ striker is in my eyes unreasonable especially on the back of his injuries and playing at club that isn’t exactly adventurous or blessed with creative players.

I think he is suffering because of his wage packet in a similar way Scott McDonald did.

Just read how Pulis reckons we'd of won the league if didn't sell Bamford, Traore and Gibson no *** sherlock.  The problem was though you benched Bamford isolated him so he wanted to move. Second you replaced them with Saville and Flint 🤡. If you had the skills Brentford had you would of signed better players ya muppet honestly. 

• Like 3