oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

This is why I've been saying Gibson is probably happy for the club to just tread water for a while, until they can get the finances back to something resembling normality. Probably take a few seasons to recover from this fully, I'd have thought.

Those numbers look a lot scarier than I imagined.

As long as we are in the Championship he won't be seeing much of that money back, unless he banks the money from sales of players like Tav and Fry. We simply need to better run and recruit smarter. Gibson is feeling the full impact of his own poor management from terrible managerial appointments to a horrendous recruitment strategy. It's his club, his decisions and his responsiblity to foot the bill. I admire his will to keep going and is thankfull for his support but I'm not feeling sorry for him as it's on the back of his own doings.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

So we only had 19 home games with fans.

£4,490,000 / 19 = £236,315
(Our 19/20 Gate Receipt figure divided by the number of Home games)

£236,315 * 4 = £945,260
(Average Income times by "missing" home games)

We missed out on close to £1m in Gate Receipts.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Wages to income at 160%😲

You should look at some other clubs, Reading are notoriously bad for this with a % often hovering near 300%

33 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Total losses of £206 million! I've been very critical of Steven Gibson's decision-making in recent years, but it's impossible to fault his commitment to what is effectively a basket case of a business at present.

These figures make me wonder how bad wages-to-income figures will be at less securely owned clubs? I'm sure Reading's W-I ratio was beyond 250 per cent a couple of seasons ago, and that was when they still had people hitch-hiking to their stadium.

I think this is still true - will be interesting to see their figures, last I'd heard they were going to be in serious trouble if they didn't go up soon.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

You should look at some other clubs, Reading are notoriously bad for this with a % often hovering near 300%

But that doesn't make it any better.

I assume all the streaming passes we buy to watch the games are included in the Broadcasting figures rather than the Gate Receipts figure.

I also wonder if what Warnock said about not being paid a wage when he first came in, is true, but only so we have his wages (and his coaching teams wages) in the 2020/2021 figures. Rather than having Woodgate and his team, then all their payouts, then a new management team in the 2019/2020 figures.

10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But that doesn't make it any better.

No it doesn't, I'm just saying it's not uncommon and we're nowhere near the worst offenders. I'd be interested to see where we rank in terms of this in the league actually, because my guess is we wouldn't be particularly high, but I might be wrong there!

11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

No it doesn't, I'm just saying it's not uncommon and we're nowhere near the worst offenders. I'd be interested to see where we rank in terms of this in the league actually, because my guess is we wouldn't be particularly high, but I might be wrong there!

I think we will be fairly high up the list for the 19/20 season however will probably have been improved this season after getting rid of high earners like Gestede, Shotton, Clayton and Friend. Bu last season I reckon we would be in the top-6. You can start by discounting all the teams that were getting parachute payments and all the promoted clubs while there is a good number of teams in the league that just tread water. Teams above us would likely have been Reading, Forest, Derby, Wednesday and maybe Leeds and Stoke.

• Like 1

Based on the wording of their own rules, I think the FA have to charge Warnock. However, I'd be tempted to use the defence that bad officiating is bringing the game into disrepute more than an embittered manager's post-match interviews ever could.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@ScarBoro I thought I'd tag you, as you are pretty clued up and interested (I have assumed the interested part) in our accounts! 🙂

Sad, isn’t it!

it’s about what we expected though. I assume they threw the kitchen sink at the accounts and got in every last bit of bad news they could. This year and next will be tight, but the more they get rid of in 19/20, the earlier they can start spending agin (assuming Gibson wants to.)

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

This year and next will be tight, but the more they get rid of in 19/20, the earlier they can start spending agin (assuming Gibson wants to.)

I can't be 100% sure, but I think they (The EFL) are doing a one off 4 year cycle for the profit and sustainability rules, so that the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 seasons (COVID affected) are technically "merged" into one.

But I haven't seen anything anywhere to say they are upping the amount the clubs can lose, but I would assume they would raise the upper limit if they are including a 4th year.

If Warnock managed the nigh on impossible and somehow got us up through the play offs this season it would be understandable if we went up with the intention of spending next to nothing just to balance the books and to come back down in a far healthier position and like Norwich, give it a good go the season after next. 

nb. I would prefer to go up and stay up of course but not at the expense of financially putting the club into peril.