oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

3 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Looking at the average attendance of 19/20 it is a similar level to the 14/15 season. In that season our gate receipts stood at around £8m, but included in that figure was a play-off game and a game at Wembley (Those 2 games maybe equate to £2m being generous). So for 19/20 I would be expecting a figure of roughly £6m if the season was entirely finished within the accounting period and we had fans in. 

* League Home games.

As the loser we took all the Wembley gate receipts, apparently it's traditional. The commentator suggested it was around the £3m mark. 

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

As the loser we took all the Wembley gate receipts, apparently it's traditional. The commentator suggested it was around the £3m mark. 

I found something that said the season before we got to Wembley, QPR and Derby agreed amongst themselves that the loser should get the full cut of the gate receipts. Whether we had a similar agreement with Norwich I don't know, but looking at the sums suggested for the QPR vs Derby Final, £3m seems about right if we had the same agreement.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth

Interesting quote from SG

"Middlesbrough chairman Gibson indicated that the club’s biggest financial risk is “failing to perform competitively in the league in which it competes”.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19169772.steve-gibson-says-poor-pitch-performance-biggest-risk-club-reveals-record-financial-losses/

Perhaps goes some way into the thinking behind SG sticking with Warnock with a short term strategy.

32 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Interesting quote from SG

"Middlesbrough chairman Gibson indicated that the club’s biggest financial risk is “failing to perform competitively in the league in which it competes”.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/19169772.steve-gibson-says-poor-pitch-performance-biggest-risk-club-reveals-record-financial-losses/

Perhaps goes some way into the thinking behind SG sticking with Warnock with a short term strategy.

I’ve a feeling something similar appears every year. Basically, the biggest financial risk is relegation. The biggest reward would be promotion - but there’s no obligation to put that in the accounts, whilst they do have to spell out the biggest risked - even if they are pretty obvious.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I can't be 100% sure, but I think they (The EFL) are doing a one off 4 year cycle for the profit and sustainability rules, so that the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 seasons (COVID affected) are technically "merged" into one.

But I haven't seen anything anywhere to say they are upping the amount the clubs can lose, but I would assume they would raise the upper limit if they are including a 4th year.

That would probably not benefit us then? It essentially keeps our worst financial result as part of the limits for an extra year. So even if they raise the loss limit it acts against us more than a club who had roughly equal losses each year.

30 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

That would probably not benefit us then? It essentially keeps our worst financial result as part of the limits for an extra year. So even if they raise the loss limit it acts against us more than a club who had roughly equal losses each year.

Yeah wouldn't benefit us at all. The only reason I can think of why they are merging the seasons is so both COVID affected seasons are at most in 2 cycles. Rather than potentially spreading over 3/4, if that makes sense?

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Booooorrrrrrrrrrriiiinnnnggggggggggggg 🥱

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Yeah wouldn't benefit us at all. The only reason I can think of why they are merging the seasons is so both COVID affected seasons are at most in 2 cycles. Rather than potentially spreading over 3/4, if that makes sense?

You've lost me there. Try boring CT completely and expand on that?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Can we move this stuff to the transfer thread please, where it belongs.

Do you mean Dans tranfer thread or the official oneBoro summer transfer thread which has not been started as yet😄

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Can we move this stuff to the transfer thread please, where it belongs.

Seriously - why are the club accounts and losses/FFP a transfer thread rather than "Other Boro stuff"?

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

You've lost me there. Try boring CT completely and expand on that?

I think that what he's saying is that as FFP is a rolling three year assessment, then two years of Covid related issues would appear in multiple assessments because one financial year is part of three different assessments.  2019/20, is in 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 (assessment 1), then it's in 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21 (assessment 2), and then 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 (assessment 3).  So now add another covid year to that 2020/21, and the effects of covid would be felt in 4 different assessments as it will also be in 2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23 (assessment 4).  Making them all one year wouldn't make any difference though, unless you altered which years were assessed as well, as you'd still be assessing two years and they'd still appear in the same assessments.  You'd have to switch from a three year rolling to something else for this purpose.

Anyway, I don't think the EFL are doing that are they?  They are simply allowing clubs to exclude covid related costs from the assessments, so it won't be included.  Not that this would help us much for this latest set of accounts as our issues aren't related to covid.  It will make more of a difference for the next set of accounts however.

4 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Do you mean Dans tranfer thread or the official oneBoro summer transfer thread which has not been started as yet😄

I would prefer to see it on all three transfer threads, so Dan's transfer thread, the official oneBoro summer transfer thread, and the official oneBoro concise summer transfer thread.  That way as many people as possible can really get into the nitty gritty of it all.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think that what he's saying is that as FFP is a rolling three year assessment, then two years of Covid related issues would appear in multiple assessments because one financial year is part of three different assessments.  2019/20, is in 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 (assessment 1), then it's in 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21 (assessment 2), and then 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 (assessment 3).  So now add another covid year to that 2020/21, and the effects of covid would be felt in 4 different assessments as it will also be in 2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23 (assessment 4).  Making them all one year wouldn't make any difference though, unless you altered which years were assessed as well, as you'd still be assessing two years and they'd still appear in the same assessments.  You'd have to switch from a three year rolling to something else for this purpose.

Thanks. I didn't think it would really make any difference.