oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Just now, ScarBoro said:

Thanks. I didn't think it would really make any difference.

It could make a difference if you change how the assessments take place.  What you'd have to do is this -

(1) 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/21 

(2) 2018/19, 2019/21, 2021/22 

(3) 2019/21, 2021/22, 2022/23

Then they would only appear in three assessments instead of four but the issue would be that they'd be out of sync.  So this years assessment, which is supposed to be 2017-2020 would have to be left until next year, to get the 2020/21 part in it, becoming 2017-2021.  Then the following one would become 2018-2022, and the one after would become 2019-2023.  After that they could return to normal 2021-2024.  But as I said, I didn't think the EFL were doing this anyway, I thought this was Uefa.  Could be wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think that what he's saying is that as FFP is a rolling three year assessment, then two years of Covid related issues would appear in multiple assessments because one financial year is part of three different assessments.  2019/20, is in 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 (assessment 1), then it's in 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21 (assessment 2), and then 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 (assessment 3).  So now add another covid year to that 2020/21, and the effects of covid would be felt in 4 different assessments as it will also be in 2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23 (assessment 4).  Making them all one year wouldn't make any difference though, unless you altered which years were assessed as well, as you'd still be assessing two years and they'd still appear in the same assessments.  You'd have to switch from a three year rolling to something else for this purpose.

Anyway, I don't think the EFL are doing that are they?  They are simply allowing clubs to exclude covid related costs from the assessments, so it won't be included.  Not that this would help us much for this latest set of accounts as our issues aren't related to covid.  It will make more of a difference for the next set of accounts however.

@ScarBoro Exactly what CT has said is what I was trying to get at. But with the merged seasons there is 1 less assessment. So assessment 1 and 2 become merged into the one 4 year cycle. Then it continues with the 3 year cycle after that.  

I've posted some screenshots below, but I've taken them from the article below.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/efl-clarify-stance-financial-fair-19634230

image.png.04257ece2d926ac431e8b08174e71a64.png

image.png.966dbc9881896325833138e35821de58.png

• Like 2

Well it's to be expected lose parashoot payments and corna. But wow 50 million revenue to 19 mill is some drop off. Atleast its under control with fans back in the stadium and promotion this or next season 😁. Only Premiership football brings profits or a Brentford moneyball style selling 2 players for 20-30 mil every summer 

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

It could make a difference if you change how the assessments take place.  What you'd have to do is this -

(1) 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/21 

(2) 2018/19, 2019/21, 2021/22 

(3) 2019/21, 2021/22, 2022/23

Then they would only appear in three assessments instead of four but the issue would be that they'd be out of sync.  So this years assessment, which is supposed to be 2017-2020 would have to be left until next year, to get the 2020/21 part in it, becoming 2017-2021.  Then the following one would become 2018-2022, and the one after would become 2019-2023.  After that they could return to normal 2021-2024.  But as I said, I didn't think the EFL were doing this anyway, I thought this was Uefa.  Could be wrong though.

I didn't see this post, but that's exactly how they appear to be wanting it to run, as far as I can tell.

2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@ScarBoro Exactly what CT has said is what I was trying to get at. But with the merged seasons there is 1 less assessment. So assessment 1 and 2 become merged into the one 4 year cycle. Then it continues with the 3 year cycle after that.  

I've posted some screenshots below, but I've taken them from the article below.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/efl-clarify-stance-financial-fair-19634230

image.png.04257ece2d926ac431e8b08174e71a64.png

image.png.966dbc9881896325833138e35821de58.png

What about the actual limits? Presumably if you have a 4 year period, the allowable losses increase proportionally? The difficulty then is how to evaluate the losses caused by COVID which can be eliminated.. You can just imagine which clubs will produce statements to show ridiculous levels of costs associated with  Covid. Morris will probably try to argue that Covid caused the abandonment of the sale of the Derby County and this caused a loss of £20m/£30m/ insert your own figure to sponsorship in the club etc.

14 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

What about the actual limits? Presumably if you have a 4 year period, the allowable losses increase proportionally? The difficulty then is how to evaluate the losses caused by COVID which can be eliminated.. You can just imagine which clubs will produce statements to show ridiculous levels of costs associated with  Covid. Morris will probably try to argue that Covid caused the abandonment of the sale of the Derby County and this caused a loss of £20m/£30m/ insert your own figure to sponsorship in the club etc.

I've not been able to find anything definitive about them raising the loss limits for the 4 year period or the merged 2 seasons at least. I'd assume that they would raise the loss limit because of the "extra" year and given that year the 20/21 season has been played pretty much entirely behind closed doors. 

The only thing I've seen that goes anyway to cover that is the fact that COVID costs will be factored for the 19/20 & 20/21. Which will, according to the EFL, include the loss of income. I suppose if the loss of income is used to balance the losses posted, in a roundabout way that does the same as upping the loss limits. 

As you say though how that is policed or where the line is drawn on loss of income opens a whole other can of worms.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
52 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Letting us off the hook, cause earlier situations went against us? Compensation?

Definitely! I think they would be hard pushed to punish Morsy after all the poor decisions which have gone against us lately. If anything it would just add further fuel to the Warnock debate that the Officials are not up to the standard required.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Definitely! I think they would be hard pushed to punish Morsy after all the poor decisions which have gone against us lately. If anything it would just add further fuel to the Warnock debate that the Officials are not up to the standard required.

Morsy absolutely, 100% should be given a retrospective ban for his actions, totally ridiculous that he's gotten away with it.

• Wow 1
3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Morsy absolutely, 100% should be given a retrospective ban for his actions, totally ridiculous that he's gotten away with it.

Agree with that but then there should be retrospective action taken against Branthwaite from Blackburn and Fulton from Swansea not to mention retrospective action taken against the Officials of those games themselves. I think Morsy "got away with it" because the FA fear that it will open a can of worms with Warnock as they know he would have been asked by the media and would have responded with the above citing consistency.