oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

40 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

What kind of football do our youth teams play mate? I'm just wondering if there's any kind of continuity between the first team and the youth teams like was talked about a few years ago or do we try to play a bit more football? Seems to be working pretty well at the moment whatever were doing.

Definitely more on the deck stuff but that's the same for all youth teams regardless of how their 1st teams play. It's lower risk so you see players try more elaborate stuff than you might expect to see in a high stakes 1st team game.

There are some really good technical players in our youth ranks. Whether they can replicate it at adult level is another matter altogether but there should be some decent 1st team options available in a couple of years.

• Like 3
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Staycation in Cornwall 🤪

No a staycation is when you take time off work, stay at home and visit local attractions on day trips. It’s a massive bugbear of mine, when we were kids a d we went away to Devon or The Lake District, we called it a holiday, because that’s what it was. If we went abroad it was a foreign holiday, which was very rare indeed. 

8 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Hignett speaking about his bust up with Karanka.

https://podfollow.com/theshineypod/episode/8c1f5a118122f58842d9924adece65fbc4e19e4e/view

Here's the full link for anyone who wants to listen - it's about 23-24ish minutes in for the AK stuff! There's only a few little bits extra other than what smogzilla posted though. Basically that Karanka never spoke to the players and that's why Hignett was there in the first place.

I wonder how many would still want Aitor back after hearing that. I'll still hold that time he was in charge close to me but if what Higgy is saying is the truth (which I've no reason to suggest otherwise) then he's managed to create battles out of nothing that he'd then throw Leo in to fight for him.

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wonder how many would still want Aitor back after hearing that. I'll still hold that time he was in charge close to me but if what Higgy is saying is the truth (which I've no reason to suggest otherwise) then he's managed to create battles out of nothing that he'd then throw Leo in to fight for him.

I'd be really curious to hear what Leos view of those times were, honestly...

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I agree. Some amazing memories buts what's come out after leaves a sour taste.

From what I've heard, it's sounds like he's had similar incidents at Birmingham. Screaming at Jutkewicz saying he's going behind his back and conspiring to get him sacked.

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'd be really curious to hear what Leos view of those times were, honestly...

These days I'd expect Leo to be more coy about it and play it down on both sides. At the time, I'm not so sure. A year and a bit later, he was marching over to the Charlton away end wearing an AK jacket rallying support for him after the bust-up Higgy supposedly saw coming.

I think he was fiercely loyal to him... but I don't necessarily think that's an all-round bad look for Leo. He stands by people who stand by him and I'm sure some of us also have friends who would walk through brick walls to defend us, no matter what.

Leo being involved just makes me think Karanka was a coward who wouldn't deal with people himself. He exploited that loyalty, if anything.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

These days I'd expect Leo to be more coy about it and play it down on both sides. At the time, I'm not so sure. A year and a bit later, he was marching over to the Charlton away end wearing an AK jacket rallying support for him after the bust-up Higgy supposedly saw coming.

I think he was fiercely loyal to him... but I don't necessarily think that's an all-round bad look for Leo. He stands by people who stand by him and I'm sure some of us also have friends who would walk through brick walls to defend us, no matter what.

Leo being involved just makes me think Karanka was a coward who wouldn't deal with people himself. He exploited that loyalty, if anything.

Wasn't there a rumour that AK fell out with Leo too by the end, or have I made that up?

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Wasn't there a rumour that AK fell out with Leo too by the end, or have I made that up?

If true, probably sick of doing his dirty work. 😄

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I seem to remember him suffering a serious injury (achilles i think) being the reason but was back on the training ground the day after AK left. Could all be pure coincidence mind. Perhaps once covid eases we could get some of the conspiracy theorists to look into it. 

Not sure I 100% believe higgy on this one. There are probably elements of truth, but plenty of players karanka managed with us have been very public about praising him and his management skills and some have gone on to play with him at second clubs, so there's absolutely no chance that he never talked to his players. 

• Like 3