oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

There's  reason for Higgy to lie, Karanka comes over as  one of those blokes who once he falls out with you that's it there's no compromise with him, holier than though attitude in my opinion. Seemed to be able fall out with a lot of people.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Not sure I 100% believe higgy on this one. There are probably elements of truth, but plenty of players karanka managed with us have been very public about praising him and his management skills and some have gone on to play with him at second clubs, so there's absolutely no chance that he never talked to his players. 

I'm sure there's 2 sides to this story but there seems to be a clear pattern of behaviour developing here. He seems to fall out with people wherever he goes.

Edited by Smogzilla
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Not sure I 100% believe higgy on this one. There are probably elements of truth, but plenty of players karanka managed with us have been very public about praising him and his management skills and some have gone on to play with him at second clubs, so there's absolutely no chance that he never talked to his players. 

It's not like Higgy is the only person to come out and say things like this about Karanka, though. Downing has been coming out with it for a while now and everyone seemingly keeps throwing him under the bus for it instead, as if it was his fault.

Higgy's version of crap man management is saying Leo used to come and fight his battles for him, Downing is saying Karanka had a media woman who'd spread crap about him. Both of those things represent cowardice on Aitor's side.

Downing's story was him saying he'd got shouted at after the Rotherham game for throwing his boots even though his boots were still on and then how AK had an argument with another player before he left. How said media person who would spread rumours about Downing for not working hard enough for him or that he was a bad influence (rumours which we all heard). How after being left out of the squad for the Stoke away game, he had Karanka and Agnew in a room asking them why, Karanka's response is to say he doesn't need to answer to him as if a player asking a question about why they're not in a team is a huge problem.

A problem from nothing is a brush he's being tarred with now. So yeah, never talking to his players might be an exaggeration but then if you were George Friend or Adam Clayton going into this summer and you were one of the players who he actually gave a toss about during that time, I can't imagine they'd care too much how he handled Higgy or Downing, they'd care that he did right by them and he got us promoted with them in the team. It doesn't mean what those two have said is any less believable, for me.

You also have to look at how brief Karanka's stays at other clubs have been. Yes, he's gone to some basket case clubs, but he's been in and out more than a Hokey Cokey addict since he left us. That in itself suggests problems getting players on-side and ingratiating himself with the powers that be. Unless you're a maverick genius like Brian Clough, politics is a major part of modern football management, and Aitor seems completely inept at it.

As for players following him, that's hardly a ringing endorsement. The likes of Friend were struggling for form and fitness, and probably feared a premature end to their careers. The offer of working with an old gaffer was always going to be tempting, however mediocre Aitor's man-management skills may be.

He really does resemble a one-hit wonder, I'm sorry to say. A Basque Paul Jewell. 

It's a shame Higgy and Aitor couldn't get on. I seem to remember we were flying when they were both at the club and it went a bit lumpy after Higgy left. If only Aitor had a better temperament,  he could have been a far better manager.

Shame it seems to have soured Gibbo off foreign managers as well. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Brunners said:

Wasn't there a rumour that AK fell out with Leo too by the end, or have I made that up?

Yeah, it was some issue with the GK's wasn't it?  Leo had completely vanished but as soon as Karanka left he was back at the club.  I'm sure someone on here posted about it at the time that Leo wasn't around, could be trucka or something like that?  I think people were a bit dubious as it was all put down to injury but then the minute Karanka wasn't there, Leo was back.

• Like 2
On 4/7/2021 at 5:20 PM, Changing Times said:

Yeah, it was some issue with the GK's wasn't it?  Leo had completely vanished but as soon as Karanka left he was back at the club.  I'm sure someone on here posted about it at the time that Leo wasn't around, could be trucka or something like that?  I think people were a bit dubious as it was all put down to injury but then the minute Karanka wasn't there, Leo was back.

Sounds familiar - my hazy memory has a feeling he broke a leg or tore a muscle or something so was away recovering but then just never turned up for ages even when people were guessing he probably could have done.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Sounds familiar - my hazy memory has a feeling he broke a leg or tore a muscle or something so was away recovering but then just never turned up for ages even when people were guessing he probably could have done.

I'm sure when he did come back, it was with a cast or crutches, and he stayed sat in the dugouts, but I'm just going off memory.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm sure when he did come back, it was with a cast or crutches, and he stayed sat in the dugouts, but I'm just going off memory.

@Brunners

For some reason I'm remembering him do something to his achilles? Then he rocked up in a "Beckham" boot.

Could be remembering it completely wrong! 

Yeah he had some sort of boot on.  I wish I could remember the name of the poster properly now as I'm sure he came on and said that Leo wasn't away because of the injury but actually because there had been a falling out with Karanka.  I'm not sure many believed him because Percovich's injury was known about.  However, Karanka left and Leo returned pretty much the day after, didn't he?