• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wouldn't say our ratings for any of those things were good, they averaged out.

66th overall out of 91 teams (a sad reminder Bury were expelled). Governance is 25, Transparency 20, Dialogue 15.

If you bunch all the teams together into a position based on their individual scores, we are:

12th out of 16 in Dialogue
9th out of 14 in Governance
7th out of 10 in Transparency

I don't think its a shock that Governance is the one keeping us dropping lower, Gibson will keep us afloat by any means. He might make challenges for himself but he'll keep us going one way or another.

On a national scale, what does it say about the Premier League that none of the top 10 teams were in it this season and for the season it was done, only Norwich were in the top 10 in 10th, only Reading as a Championship representative in 8th. The top 4 teams were League Two teams, the other 4 were League One.

I wonder if banning local journalists effects the transparency score.  Mind you, we certainly aren't the only club to pull that stunt.  How is this index collated?  Is it simply from questionnaires to random fans?

6 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Am I right in thinking the 32RED shirt sponsorship was due to run out at the end of this season?

Was a 3 year deal announced in 2018, so unless it's been extended, yep.

There’s a confusing piece in the gazette this morning...

“And while Warnock has been keen to calm expectations over the weeks, that results in quite the dilemma for him this weekend.

That's because Graeme Lee's side have a huge game on Friday afternoon - just 24 hours before Boro's clash with Wycombe.

Lee's U23s side host Crystal Palace U23s in the final game of the season knowing they will likely need to avoid victory if they are to secure a play-off place.“

If only football was that easy. 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

There’s a confusing piece in the gazette this morning...

“And while Warnock has been keen to calm expectations over the weeks, that results in quite the dilemma for him this weekend.

That's because Graeme Lee's side have a huge game on Friday afternoon - just 24 hours before Boro's clash with Wycombe.

Lee's U23s side host Crystal Palace U23s in the final game of the season knowing they will likely need to avoid victory if they are to secure a play-off place.“

Gibson probably ordered them to print it like that. 😁

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-championship-promotion-brighton-2016-20536990

This is a good read.

It was a magical day. Easily the best moment as a Boro fan for me since the UEFA cup run in terms of the emotion and elation involved. Great memory.

I'd be tempted to bring George back into the fold now with the intention of developing him as a future Manager or he may even make a great DOF as he certainly has both the intelligence and ability. Throw in that the fans would be united behind him and in time it could prove to be SG's greatest signing.

7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'd be tempted to bring George back into the fold now with the intention of developing him as a future Manager or he may even make a great DOF as he certainly has both the intelligence and ability. Throw in that the fans would be united behind him and in time it could prove to be SG's greatest signing.

Heh. He'd certainly be the prettiest manager in the Championship.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who's the fairest gaffer of all...?" 😁

Seriously though, much as I love George, I'd rather we bring in someone who can do the business now...certainly with regards to the DoF role.

I'd rather see Friend at least do his coaching badges and get some experience as an assistant, before we start talking about him as a future manager...whether thats at Boro or elsewhere. He seems more the managerial type to me...someone who'd enjoy working with other players.

A DoF is more of a "big picture" strategic role, who takes input from the manager and recruiting staff, to create a roadmap for the club (setting budgets, oversight of transfers, season-by-season targets etc.) - basically trying to ensure it runs smoothly as a business, rather than "boom and bust" swings.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Heh. He'd certainly be the prettiest manager in the Championship.

"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who's the fairest gaffer of all...?" 😁

Seriously though, much as I love George, I'd rather we bring in someone who can do the business now...certainly with regards to the DoF role.

I'd rather see Friend at least do his coaching badges and get some experience as an assistant, before we start talking about him as a future manager...whether thats at Boro or elsewhere. He seems more the managerial type to me...someone who'd enjoy working with other players.

A DoF is more of a "big picture" strategic role, who takes input from the manager and recruiting staff, to create a roadmap for the club (setting budgets, oversight of transfers, season-by-season targets etc.) - basically trying to ensure it runs smoothly as a business, rather than "boom and bust" swings.

I agree about the here and now but perfect planning prevents poor performance and a lack of any strategic plan long or short term has seen Boro flip flopping around with the results to show for it. I think George more than any other player over the last few decades stands out because of his intellect and maturity not to mention level headedness. Sorting the immediate need is great but that's all we ever do, going from one style and squad to the opposite, never getting a good fit. We have a new Manager with the old Manager's players and by the time he hacks them and their agents off we have another new Manager arriving because the old one couldn't get a tune out of them and so we start all over again, moving the last Managers players out and bringing new face fitting favorites in, rinse and repeat.

Making a decision now that NW is remaining for say another two or three seasons and that GF will succeed him as the next Manager is at least is a plan offering stability and organisation. One that allows us to stop going from one extreme to the other, evolution rather than the constant revolution. Friend's preferred style may not be Warnock's and that's not particularly a bad thing as it allows a planned transition while attending to the immediacy of now.

6 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

We'd probably end up winning with a fluke goal and we'd sky all our own-goal efforts...