oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't like Boris at all but I don't think anybody else in his position would have actually done much different in terms of the pandemic. The world over, nobody was willing to take the potential effect of a pandemic seriously enough to legitimately prepare for it so anybody in his seat would have been making it up as they went along. Our leaders should know better but I'm guessing our potential leaders should too.

I don't agree with that in the slightest. South Korea, New Zealand and Japan, all countries of similar geographic nature and population all prepared and responded in a manner that showed up the UK government to be the incompetent rablle we all knew they were...

I don't believe OneBoro does politics though, so that's for another day. 

What this does affect is the fan base. Warnock has over estimated his standing imo. He believes his own hype and think's he has enough credit in the bank to air his opinions publicly on what is clearly a sensitive and inflammatory subject. The nature of his opinion, I don't like but that's not the important thing for me, it's the fact he's abused his position. He's taken a liberty. Much like Gibson, the difference being Gibson had a lot of credit in the bank and was in an immovable position. That doesn't make it right but as fans we had to stomach it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Nobody would give a crap if the comments were in support of whoever they vote for.  The issue isn't about someone in his position giving an opinion, it's about giving an opinion that some people don't like.  A common occurrence these days.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

can't agree with this bit, the countries that were willing to take the tough decisions at the outset, where the ones who had a plan.

29 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I don't agree with that in the slightest. South Korea, New Zealand and Japan, all countries of similar geographic nature and population all prepared and responded in a manner that showed up the UK government to be the incompetent rablle we all knew they were...

There are two points here that perhaps I don't think I explained very well from my line of thinking.

For one, I'm not trying to say that literally every country in the world has responded poorly to it. My point is more about the grander look at the response worldwide. There are a lot more countries who struggled to know what to do with it than didn't. You can look at those 3 countries and wish we responded the way they did but they don't represent the global response, we are much more aligned with those that didn't have a clue what they were doing. That's why the virus is and will continue to be worldwide, we're not alone in that. It is, effectively speaking, a global naivete.

And to the more localised point of who was in charge, who else of our potential leaders would have handled this significantly better? Any of the leaders (or by association, parties) from the 2017 or 2019 elections, would you look at them and say they'd respond in a way as effective as Jacinda Ardern's government did? I personally don't think they would have, maybe that's an opinion not shared, fair enough. But I also don't think that's just a UK problem, I think that's mostly a global problem.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Wrong.

No, it's exactly right.  People only care when somebody says something that they don't like or agree with.  People moaning about Warnock on here wouldn't have cared if he'd said something in support of let's say Jessie Joe Jacobs.  Of course the people who didn't support her would care about the fact that he'd said something.  I'm more bothered about the rubbish football we have to watch than whether someone expresses their support of a calculating buffoon.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd gladly insert Boris into a mincing machine, but he does deserve great credit for overseeing the vaccine procurement and distribution. He deservedly gets the blame for things that have gone wrong or been done badly, so credit where it's due for a metronomically efficient vaccination programme that's already protected most of the people I love.

The bigger problem is I don't believe a football press conference is the right place to discuss politics. Yes, it's a change from the anodyne "we go again" nonsense spouted by more corporate managers, but I wouldn't expect Warnock to sit there and talk about why he'd never buy a VW after the monkey gassing scandal, or why we should bomb France in retaliation for people in Jersey having to eat their tea by candlelight. Why is domestic politics any different? It's irrelevant to him f**king up our promotion prospects from a fairly strong starting position, or his Pinocchio routine about not having any strikers. From a manager's perspective, politics is irrelevant to most aspects of football, with exceptions like Brexit affecting incoming transfers from overseas. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

can't agree with this bit, the countries that were willing to take the tough decisions at the outset, where the ones who had a plan.

the rest, agree, it's not about wallpaper, it's how he got the funds 

And as JVT and the other medical experts repeatedly said, just copying what other countries do is no guarantee of success. Different population densities, compositions and infrastructure all create different degrees of risk and vectors for spreading the virus. 

Also differing economies and types of employment mean that certain measures will have different financial impacts.

They always said the path decided on by SAGE was a mix of public safety and protecting the economy as far as possible.

You'll also note that even countries which adopted more stringent measures earlier than we did still suffered second waves...and even third waves in some cases.

As to how Boris paid for his flat redecoration - if it is found out he financed it by other means, other than his own pocket, hopefully he'll be suitably punished. But we've known for a while he's got a dodgy background...that business with Jennifer Arcuri for one thing.

For all that, he does seem to get things done (or at least get his minions to get things done) and thats what people seem to care about most right now.

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

I don't believe OneBoro does politics though, so that's for another day. 

What this does affect is the fan base. Warnock has over estimated his standing imo. He believes his own hype and think's he has enough credit in the bank to air his opinions publicly on what is clearly a sensitive and inflammatory subject. The nature of his opinion, I don't like but that's not the important thing for me, it's the fact he's abused his position. He's taken a liberty. Much like Gibson, the difference being Gibson had a lot of credit in the bank and was in an immovable position. That doesn't make it right but as fans we had to stomach it. 

New Zealand? Similar population? There's less than 5m people in New Zealand ffs you could self isolate everyone and they'd still have an acre of land each.

South Korea & Japan fine, but not many countries can have a New Zealand like response. I would guess there's 50 sheep for every person in New Zealand.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If the sheep got organised, would they have the numbers to takeover the country?

Probably....        they were successful here 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Just for you @Brunners, here's some statistics on the sheep population of New Zealand!

[Spoiler alert: there's quite a lot]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/974492/new-zealand-sheep-livestock-numbers/#:~:text=As of June 2020%2C there,declining over the past decade.

Ok so I was off by a bit - this makes it roughly 5 sheep per person.

• Haha 1