oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Sad news, he wasn't one of the great Boro goalkeepers but he was an important part of Robbo's promotion winning side in 94/95.

It's strange how the club never really highlighted him or did interviews with him after, I may be mistaken but I genuinely can't recall reading any articles about him in the gazette unlike other past players.

He was a proper joker though, he once exposed his backside mid-game in front of the Holgate at Ayresome Park and he had a smiley face drawn on one of his bum cheeks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

An integral part of the promotion winning side in 1995. His book a Millers Tale is a really good read. It gives you a great insight of the goings on behind the scenes during that season. Such sad news for someone so young.

2 hours ago, SmogDane said:

This is dedication 💪❤️

I was a sub teacher in 3rd grade today.

IMG_20210614_135306.jpg

The poor kids 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

A story from Danny Mills that shows we've been *** players around for donkeys years.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-mills-loan-middlesbrough-didnt-20822716

“Leeds at that time wanted £1.5m for me but Boro wanted the deal doing quickly and over the line.

“They were haggling over the price until eventually, they said they’d pay all of my wages, take me on loan until Christmas and then they said they’d have more time after that to sort a proper deal. No bother, I’ve signed. F*** it, I just want to play.”

Mills did play and became a regular for McClaren, putting in some impressive performances as Boro performed well in the Premier League and made it to the Carling Cup final.

But then January hit and it was time, Mills thought, to make his Boro move permanent. That's when it all went wrong for him.

He says: “January rolls around and it’s getting closer and closer to deadline day with no update.

“I’m thinking, ‘okay Boro, you need to get this done now’ because as it happened we played Leeds soon, last game before the window closes.

“So they get me in and offer me the same money but with an extra year. I’m happy with that. I don’t need any more money.

“We go through the contract, I’m happy, sign it and go out to training. Come back in and Keith Lamb says, ‘We have one slight issue. We haven’t agreed a fee with Leeds yet’.

“What do you mean? You’ve had six months and it’s a million and a half quid. It’s a bargain really.

“Because Leeds were struggling and looking likely to be relegated, Boro’s thinking was that they might get me on a free transfer at the end of the season.

“I threw my toys out the pram, if I’m honest. They promised me in the summer they’d get it done in January. I said, ‘no, you’re taking the p***.’

“I refused to play the game against Leeds. They’d already f***** the deal up twice but they wanted me to play Leeds as they’re looking likely to be relegated, help stick another nail in their coffin and then potentially have to go back there in the summer when they f*** it up again or change their mind and don't want me.

“Bearing in mind, I’d helped them to get to the Carling Cup final and they were going to go into Europe. It was £1.5m.”

Boro had already agreed to keep Mills for the rest of that season. He and Steve Gibson would subsequently have a meeting where Mills claims they expressed their disappointment in one another, but Mills promised to give his all on the pitch despite his feeling of being let down by the club.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Wow 2

Can see both sides of that one. I mean if we already have him on loan for the rest of the season and can avoid paying 1.5mil if we hold out, it makes good business sense to try it right? 

Not sure what promises have been made though, our mistake in that situation is more whatever we've told him from the start rather than how we've tried to get the transfer done in the end. Should never be promising players anything like that. 

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Can see both sides of that one. I mean if we already have him on loan for the rest of the season and can avoid paying 1.5mil if we hold out, it makes good business sense to try it right? 

Not sure what promises have been made though, our mistake in that situation is more whatever we've told him from the start rather than how we've tried to get the transfer done in the end. Should never be promising players anything like that. 

If you promise a player you'll get it done in January, you don't go back on your word, that's just seriously shitty behaviour. Or at least before it comes to the time, maybe talk to him about it and say "hey Danny, so Leeds look like they might go down, mind holding out till the summer see if you can come for free?"

At best it's awful communication and at worst it's actively messing a player around.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

If you promise a player you'll get it done in January, you don't go back on your word, that's just seriously shitty behaviour. Or at least before it comes to the time, maybe talk to him about it and say "hey Danny, so Leeds look like they might go down, mind holding out till the summer see if you can come for free?"

At best it's awful communication and at worst it's actively messing a player around.

Well yeah that's what I meant, we shouldn't be making those promises in the first place because we should be setting ourselves up so that we only do a deal if it makes good financial sense. I don't agree with just throwing away 1.5mil because of something we've told a player though - that's probably how we got into the mess we were in in the mid 2000s in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well yeah that's what I meant, we shouldn't be making those promises in the first place because we should be setting ourselves up so that we only do a deal if it makes good financial sense. I don't agree with just throwing away 1.5mil because of something we've told a player though - that's probably how we got into the mess we were in in the mid 2000s in the first place.

Yes, you're right I think I'm saying the same thing as you.

We shouldn't make that promise, but once we did we should have honoured it IMO.