oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

It seems a bit naive from Mills if I'm honest. He's being a bit flippant about it being "just" 1.5 mil when it's highly likely the club could have got him for much less/nothing if they waited until the summer.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

Tell them what they want to hear until they get in the door. Sounds about right for us.

Like you say NB4, you can understand the club wanting to see if they can save money on bringing Mills in permanently but don't go promising the Earth and then get *** off when you're the one who doesn't deliver. If you're handing out gentleman's agreements, you're not allowed to get on your high horse when you don't follow through with it. You have to, at bare minimum, accept you're the arsehole in the situation.

I've been through that myself in my own way and it still riles me to this day, worked with people who create a positive environment of working for and with each other when it suits them, benefitting off the trust and naivete of others, having people make sacrifices for the greater good before ultimately throwing it back in their face because actually business is business and the only thing that really matters is that. It's a horrible employer vs. worker power dynamic and I don't blame Mills, or the later example Downing, one bit for their reaction to their own stories.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Tell them what they want to hear until they get in the door. Sounds about right for us.

Like you say NB4, you can understand the club wanting to see if they can save money on bringing Mills in permanently but don't go promising the Earth and then get *** off when you're the one who doesn't deliver. If you're handing out gentleman's agreements, you're not allowed to get on your high horse when you don't follow through with it. You have to, at bare minimum, accept you're the arsehole in the situation.

I've been through that myself in my own way and it still riles me to this day, worked with people who create a positive environment of working for and with each other when it suits them, benefitting off the trust and naivete of others, having people make sacrifices for the greater good before ultimately throwing it back in their face because actually business is business and the only thing that really matters is that. It's a horrible employer vs. worker power dynamic and I don't blame Mills, or the later example Downing, one bit for their reaction to their own stories.

When you look at some of our recent manager appointments and some of our recent player purchases, it's clear morality is not high on our priority list. So it's no surprise to me or I'm sure to anyone that we would have a history of not living up to verbal agreements. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

A story from Danny Mills that shows we've been *** players around for donkeys years.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-mills-loan-middlesbrough-didnt-20822716

Good god thats ridiculous!

Haggling over £1.5 million when we were in the PL is just taking the ***.

I mean its all very well trying to be business savvy, but taking negotiations to the wire like that and ultimately losing a player that has performed well for us, is just utterly stupid IMO.

If this is indicative of the sort of shenanigans the club has got up to over the years, its a wonder we ever managed to assemble a squad capable of winning silverware or getting to a European final.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

When you look at some of our recent manager appointments and some of our recent player purchases, it's clear morality is not high on our priority list. So it's no surprise to me or I'm sure to anyone that we would have a history of not living up to verbal agreements. 

And yet still some would choose to believe that Downing is making things up to cause bother. It's incredible, isn't it?

• Sad 1

MFC like a big onion, peel one layer off and another follows, with Gibson at the centre of a rotten core that you can never reach. Grimly clinging on to the only asset left in the town that's worth anything to satisfy his ego.

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

MFC like a big onion, peel one layer off and another follows, with Gibson at the centre of a rotten core that you can never reach. Grimly clinging on to the only asset left in the town that's worth anything to satisfy his ego.

I doubt he is hanging on to the Club for his ego. It's a money pit and money he knows he will never get back in all likelihood. The only thing that affects his reputation negatively is the Football Club. Having said that it is time he shuffled the structure and took a back seat in the same manner as Norwich.

8 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

Don't forget Rockliffe Hall and Bulkhaul. I'm guessing they're still viable businesses. 😉

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I doubt he is hanging on to the Club for his ego. It's a money pit and money he knows he will never get back in all likelihood. The only thing that affects his reputation negatively is the Football Club. Having said that it is time he shuffled the structure and took a back seat in the same manner as Norwich.

Agree the club is a money pit, but I'm guessing he's stuck with it because no-one would buy it for what he'd want in order to get back all the money he's sunk into it over the years.

Any sensible person would just try to cut their losses and sell it for a reasonable sum, based on the value of its current assets. But I'm guessing Gibson wouldn't even entertain the idea...

But yeah - someone at the club needs to get a grip on both the finances and recruitment, structuring both around a sustainable long-term plan.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It's not the money, it's the power that comes with the position he's in. A big fish in a small pond, that's what he's clinging on to. A bit sad really.

Funny response this from gibbo, but more just wanted to point out all the incredibly positive things the Norwich fans have to say about him under the replies. Absolutely delighted that he's found a home where he's as loved as he was (and still is) here 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Funny response this from gibbo, but more just wanted to point out all the incredibly positive things the Norwich fans have to say about him under the replies. Absolutely delighted that he's found a home where he's as loved as he was (and still is) here 

After all he went through at Burnley, I'm very chuffed for him. I hope he makes the step up to the top level again and bangs in a last minute winner at Turf Moor and gives Dyche the Callum McManaman treatment.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...