oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

It’s a bit ridiculous isn’t it. The lad was 14 years old. Nevertheless it’s obviously something the FA have to nip in the bud to make youth understand that you have to think about what you say. However I don’t think it warrants a ban or fine but instead Bola should probably made to appear in school classes to talk about behavior etc eapecially on social media. Bola probably regrets the tweet anyway so I can imagine he wouldn’t mind trying to make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

The Social Justice Warriors of the Holier Than Thou PC Brigade are everywhere. 🙄

While I would never say it was okay to post offensive stuff on social media, if it was done years ago and the person in question has shown no signs of aberrant behaviour since, then it should be left where it belongs...in the past.

Same thing happened with cricketer Ollie Robinson. Fortunately his punishment was limited to being suspended for a few games.

Same kind of idiots that attacked an Aussie kid a few years ago, for wearing brown face make-up, because he wanted to look like his AFL hero on a dress-up school day. 🤦‍♂️ 

Same kind of idiots that got Apu removed from The Simpsons because he was being voiced by a white actor.

These cretins just have no sense of perspective and IMO have completely lost contact with reality. They basically live in their own judgemental bubbles and anything they don't approve of is immediately jumped on as racist / homophobic / bullying / whatever.

Heartily agree that normal, reasonable people need to start calling this kind of stuff out.

As someone who has lived with racism - people actually calling me names to my face, general tormenting & bullying and sometimes physical violence, this kind of stuff just makes me despair.

Tbf Ollie Robinson was 18 at the time, so a small punishment is understandable. 

Bola was 14, he will probably get a warning like Bowen did, but  making something a 14 year old typed public is unwarranted 

• Like 2
Just now, Borodane said:

It’s a bit ridiculous isn’t it. The lad was 14 years old. Nevertheless it’s obviously something the FA have to nip in the bud to make youth understand that you have to think about what you say. However I don’t think it warrants a ban or fine but instead Bola should probably made to appear in school classes to talk about behavior etc eapecially on social media. Bola probably regrets the tweet anyway so I can imagine he wouldn’t mind trying to make a difference. 

This is the thing mate, I don't think it will come to a ban. As I mentioned earlier, the two examples the BBC have kind of linked to this event were Bowen and Choudhury and part of me wonders if the reasons Choudhury got a fine was because he was older and these were multiple instances over the course of a year.

Bowen and Bola both appear to be one offs and I wonder actually if that's why it's taken a few weeks for the charge to come about, whilst they investigated to see if there were any more instances. It doesn't sound like there is. So as with Bowen, I reckon he'll get a warning and asked to attend an educational course. If the FA have anything about them, they'll be teaching these lads to appreciate that these accounts are public records of their comments and they have to take ownership of these things to avoid the scrutiny full stop.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

I thought neither the Mods or Rockers respected the pigs police? 😁

It didn't look that way but in general they were. My parents as any always stated, never have the police knock on the door.  It was shameful and disrespectful for the family. Remember back then family life and streets were very much tight knit community.  I never had any issues or feared walking anywhere around town.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

It didn't look that way but in general they were. My parents as any always stated, never have the police knock on the door.  It was shameful and disrespectful for the family. Remember back then family life and streets were very much tight knit community.  I never had any issues or feared walking anywhere around town.  

mmmm yeah, lovely nostalgia for a time before it all went WOKE

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy

I still don't get why being attentive to important issues in society, particularly regarding racism, is a bad thing. Being anti-woke means you don't agree with being attentive to those issues, not caring about racial or social injustices in society and that position often comes from those of relative advantage within that society. If the majority don't care about them then I guess that's a big two fingers up to the minority.

Even to put it beyond racial injustice for a second, just look at the social injustice that wealth has on our society. Do people consider caring about the gap between the rich and poor expanding since the '70s a bad thing? Do people not care about the poverty trap or are you woke to that?

• Like 4

I also hate the lack of acceptance that people can grow and change. I'm not the same person I was ten years ago - I'm damn sure not the same person I was as an impressionable and developing 14 year old ffs. 

Plus times and the meaning of  words change. Like it or not but many of our modern progressive views will be seen as outdated by future generations. 

These people are like modern day Puritans who see everything in black and white - with themselves the sole arbiters of where that dividing line is (and where it always has been and will be). 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I still don't get why being attentive to important issues in society, particularly regarding racism, is a bad thing. Being anti-woke means you don't agree with being attentive to those issues, not caring about racial or social injustices in society and that position often comes from those of relative advantage within that society. If the majority don't care about them then I guess that's a big two fingers up to the minority.

Even to put it beyond racial injustice for a second, just look at the social injustice that wealth has on our society. Do people consider caring about the gap between the rich and poor expanding since the '70s a bad thing? Do people not care about the poverty trap or are you woke to that?

The term woke has transcended its original meaning (which of often the case) I don’t think there’s a sensible person in the country that thinks the racial injustices people of colour face should be dismissed. Racial abuse is abhorrent, as is being overlooked for jobs/positions due to your skin colour, gender or sexual orientation. These are real issues that we all have face up to and fight. 
I just can’t get behind things like 6yr old girls being told they can’t dress up as their favourite Disney Princess/character due to cultural appropriation, or that able bodied actors should never play disabled roles or the million other things that distract from real issues and struggles. 

I think the main issue is the way the Internet  is binary. You’re either for it or against it. No halfway no shades of grey just very black or white

That’s my take on it anyway 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

The term woke has transcended its original meaning (which of often the case)

It's interesting though, isn't it? That terms or actions often only transcend their original meaning when people want them to? Not painting you this way by the way, just this is what I see from other people.

For example, some people who boo taking the knee in football don't accept that the meaning of taking the knee has moved on from being a left-wing, Marxist, anti-police whatever they say it is. But how many of those who boo also think the country is 'too woke' because they think the term woke has transcended its original meaning? I'd love to know though we can probably say nearly 50,000 people who voted for Laurence Fox in the London mayoral elections agree with that.

People make words and actions mean what they want to mean to fit their own narrative and that's perhaps even more prominent when huge numbers of society now communicate with more people and more varied people than ever before and largely via text-driven services. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's interesting though, isn't it? That terms or actions often only transcend their original meaning when people want them to? Not painting you this way by the way, just this is what I see from other people.

For example, some people who boo taking the knee in football don't accept that the meaning of taking the knee has moved on from being a left-wing, Marxist, anti-police whatever they say it is. But how many of those who boo also think the country is 'too woke' because they think the term woke has transcended its original meaning? I'd love to know though we can probably say nearly 50,000 people who voted for Laurence Fox in the London mayoral elections agree with that.

People make words and actions mean what they want to mean to fit their own narrative and that's perhaps even more prominent when huge numbers of society now communicate with more people and more varied people than ever before and largely via text-driven services. 

Don’t disagree with what you said. But personally I think it comes down to how narcissistic society has become. And this quest for instant gratification. So where’s as there are people properly suffering out there and are getting attention for it, it stands to reason that the narcissists will want to cash in on it and take their share of the attention. Proving to the world how woke or what an ally they are. Not really to help that particular struggle but for their own clicks and likes and virtual pats on the back. They will literally hunt for offence so they can claim to be offended to show their virtue. It’s really sad but further proof that anything that is a good idea is open to and will be abused 

Again no science behind this just my views

• Like 5

To me, the word 'woke' is reminiscent of the phrase 'right on' in the 80s. (Yes, I know I'm showing my age). I see it as meaning you don't want to cause offence to any minority and are keen to support those minorities, while being quick to criticise anyone who doesn't at least match your commitment.

I'm pretty strongly opposed to any ism you can name, having experienced a great deal of bigotry growing up. However, I still resent being told how to feel and behave by a self-appointed, self-righteous minority who come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly embrace the same ideology. 

I don't think future generations will view these self-appointed moral arbiters very favourably, which is ironic since modernists believe historic actions should be judged by contemporary values. I suspect the shoe will be on the other foot before long.

As for Bola, it's deeply disturbing that we're now moralising over the social media posts of children from a decade ago. And as for the person who trawled through ten years of social media history for at least one of our players (quite possibly our entire squad), just to find something they could take offence at and try to get him into trouble... If that's being woke, put me back to sleep, please. 

• Like 8