oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Whitby is awesome! 

Been there twice. 

Someone on here  recommended me to visit Mr. Chips ... Was worth it

Why do fish and chips taste better at the seaside? 
With more then 90% of cod imported people still get the impression the fish they eat at the seaside are caught local. 
Why is Cod getter smaller in size.
With the majority of cod left being juvenile and not breeders, Cod is running out and it’s rumoured by 2025 will be substituted with warm water species. 
Thats rumoured to last until 2048, then the seas will be depleted of all seafood. 
Enjoy… 

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

With more then 90% of cod imported people still get the impression the fish they eat at the seaside are caught local. 
With the majority of cod left being juvenile and not breeders, Cod is running out and it’s rumoured by 2025 will be substituted with warm water species. 
Thats rumoured to last until 2048, then the seas will be depleted of all seafood. 
Enjoy… 

Even in somewhere like Grimsby the fish you get isn’t from Grimsby. 

2 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Enjoy… 

Actually you'll find that most of the chippies in Whitby serve freshly caught fish from Whitby and it usually won't be Cod. The aforementioned Mister Chips/Sara's Mister Chips actually has a board inside the restaurant section telling you what fish is available and even what time and which boat caught it. They serve Cod, Haddock, Plaice, Panga, Haka, Halibut and Lemon Sole.

They also do gluten free batter which is just 👌👌👌

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Smogzilla said:

Teams for the u23 fixture v WBA this afternoon. Zohore playing for the opposition.

20211017_122233.jpg

So any of those players could have been sat on our bench yesterday but instead we only named six subs, including the non-league player who hasn't looked ready for this level, who gets in for no other reason than Warnock signed him.  No wonder they called themselves Warnock's rejects.   It must be utterly deflating to play for this club unless you're one of the favoured ones.  One of the least professionally run football clubs in the country.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Actually you'll find that most of the chippies in Whitby serve freshly caught fish from Whitby and it usually won't be Cod. The aforementioned Mister Chips/Sara's Mister Chips actually has a board inside the restaurant section telling you what fish is available and even what time and which boat caught it. They serve Cod, Haddock, Plaice, Panga, Haka, Halibut and Lemon Sole.

They also do gluten free batter which is just 👌👌👌

It’s good to know some are supporting local boats but surprised they are still operating. I have hired and fished a few times but as each year passed the chance of catching depreciated and spending 10 hours in deep water, rough seas and cold without a bite is soul destroying. All the gear and no idea. Typically a captain would reply “yesterday was a really good day” problem was we never managed to find the boat yesterday 😁 Still it made for some good memorable days out.

Having witnessed first hand catch’s getting smaller and fleets disappearing, be Redcar or Whitby it’s obvious fishing over the past 20 to 30 years was unsustainable. When reading articles on fishing and experts warnings about fish stocks it’s utterly shocking it’s not highlighted in the media as critical, the point of no return. 

I won’t see 2048 which I believe is when fish stocks are predicted to be depleted but with plastic pollution, deforestation, animal species and energy crises in mortal decline it highlights the world irreversible demise. 

14 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

It’s good to know some are supporting local boats but surprised they are still operating. I have hired and fished a few times but as each year passed the chance of catching depreciated and spending 10 hours in deep water, rough seas and cold without a bite is soul destroying. All the gear and no idea. Typically a captain would reply “yesterday was a really good day” problem was we never managed to find the boat yesterday 😁 Still it made for some good memorable days out.

Having witnessed first hand catch’s getting smaller and fleets disappearing, be Redcar or Whitby it’s obvious fishing over the past 20 to 30 years was unsustainable. When reading articles on fishing and experts warnings about fish stocks it’s utterly shocking it’s not highlighted in the media as critical, the point of no return. 

I won’t see 2048 which I believe is when fish stocks are predicted to be depleted but with plastic pollution, deforestation, animal species and energy crises in mortal decline it highlights the world irreversible demise. 

Well I think thay are doing something about it, but whether it's too late remains to be seen. The cod quotas in the baltic sea have been cut by some 86% for the coming period and that will most likely put a lot of fishermen out of jobs. If the EU reckons it's needed in the North Sea then they'll probably push for that too, although I don't know what Brexit is going to mean in that matter.

I was a trawler fisherman out of Aberdeen (from 16-19yrs old) when we fished the North Sea we could barely make a living as it had been hammered. The Cod wars in the 60’s & 70’s certainly didn’t help but the way we managed our fish stocks/grounds certainly added to it. I think at the time (mid 90’s) I think we had something like 50 ministers for farming and agriculture but only 2 for the fishing industries which highlights how much it featured on peoples agenda

• Like 2

This is very sad and I find it quite distressing. 

One of our academy doctors is a Newcastle fan 🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Borodane said:

Well I think thay are doing something about it, but whether it's too late remains to be seen. The cod quotas in the baltic sea have been cut by some 86% for the coming period and that will most likely put a lot of fishermen out of jobs. If the EU reckons it's needed in the North Sea then they'll probably push for that too, although I don't know what Brexit is going to mean in that matter.

The issue being they are still removing juvenile fish that don’t reach breading age. It’s accelerating decline. Targeting other species simply removes there food source. 
Nothing but a total ban over a period of years is feasible. 

43 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

The issue being they are still removing juvenile fish that don’t reach breading age. It’s accelerating decline. Targeting other species simply removes there food source. 

I thought all nets were designed to let young fish slip through and only catch fish of above a certain size.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Thats not going to happen. People aren't just going to stop eating fish altogether.

Better science and management of fishing quotas, together with legislation that actually has teeth should avoid the need for that.

There is more research and data gathering going into fishing now, looking at fish populations, migration and feeding habits, breeding numbers and even stuff like changes in sea temperature.

The UK has actually created a number of marine protection zones to safeguard the waters immediately around our islands and is also extending this work to try and create a sustainable marine ecology in the North Atlantic in general. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/marine-conservation-zone-designations-in-england

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I thought all nets were designed to let young fish slip through and only catch fish of above a certain size.

I'm pretty sure they are, but when you're catching large numbers of fish in trawling nets, I'm guessing a fair few juveniles end up getting sandwiched between the adults.

Even if they get thrown back, they may be injured or already dead.

11 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Thought they'd done work with different net designs to let the 'smaller' fish escape, but I guess that's not been adopted and filed along with the Japanese Whaling Fleet.

Its possible some fishermen are still using "illegal" nets but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since they can only legally sell fish of a certain size and species. They would get prosecuted if they tried selling undersized / juvenile or protected fish. Thats why there is a lot of "throwback" - fishermen tossing anything they can't sell back overboard.

Unless there is some black market in fish I'm not aware of... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1