oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

19 minutes ago, Naisby said:

It’s like being back in the 80’s again, football clubs almost going bust, Russian troops back on the borders, living with a 3 minute warning. European allies saying one thing but doing another. Oh happy days, I didn’t think days like that were gone forever, really hoped I would be much older or gone before they did. 

It's a life repeat cycle and one whereby we never ever seem to learn from past mistakes!

With so many US bases long gone the despots are simply not concerned and will impose their authority without fear of immediate reactions

• Like 2
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

On a much lighter subject, I've heard "Just dance" by Chris Rea in radio 2 twice this month already.. must be a sign haha

Ha ha yes let's keep this Boro related the above is far too gloomy and not needed on this thread!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Johnmfc81 said:

On a much lighter subject, I've heard "Just dance" by Chris Rea in radio 2 twice this month already.. must be a sign haha

If we get to Wembley (or by some miracle finish in the top 2) we can dust it off again...with some new lyrics for the current manager & team.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

For the hard graft and the way they are fighting and for the sakes of the fans I would like to see them stay alive and get through this with a club to follow.

Many of us remember the harrowing times when we nearly went out of existance would not wish that on anyone, one mans actions can cause untold repercussions something we might all witness soon with Putin

Agreed. Our wrath should be directed solely at Morris, as he was the guy making the decisions.

Its just really sad that Gibson's only recourse is to go after the club itself.

I think Gibson's ire is aimed at Morris and the EFL rather than DCFC. Derby unfortunately are collateral damage, caught in the crossfire.

Morris has abandoned ship leaving the mess which had the EFL governed the game properly he (and many other Clubs previously who tried and in some cases succeeded in buying their way into the Premiership) wouldn't have been able to do. Gibson had been banging on about it for long enough but the EFL just swept things under the carpet.

The EFL's lack of a backbone or even genuine interest in what Clubs were doing to me (and I'm guessing to SG) is similar to the goings on in Downing Street in the middle of a lockdown. This time the proverbial has hit the fan and by doing what he and Wycombe are doing is holding clubs to account for their misdemeanours that the EFL would rather deal with far too leniently and late by a paltry fine of a relative insignificant amount.

The Administrators at Derby have done a really poor job. They have had months to sort out the alternative/various purchase options and to line up interested parties. It seems that they haven't a clue what they are doing as witnessed by players having to be sold or contracts not renewed last week which came out of the blue to Rooney. That smacks of sheer incompetence and an attitude of easy money regardless of the outcome for them. That in itself probably needs looking into when this is all sorted but I doubt the EFL will have the stomach for it.

By keeping the "claim" Gibson is rightfully seeking redress for damages to his business and likewise Wycombe. Had the EFL acted timely then Wycombe wouldn't be in League One and that would only leave Gibson's beef. Say if Ashley takes control he may well offer SG a nominal take it or leave it figure and then spends years dragging through various legal arguments or a monthly payment plan over 25 years, who knows. He may even laugh it off and say get stuffed or Gibbo may take a £1 to prove his point. Whatever the outcome the process has made the EFL sit up and take notice and hopefully prevent future such occurrences.

If DCFC were to cease to exist leaving the Championship a team short and all points deducted then that would seriously affect the credibility of the competition and the EFL's handling of it. I think SG is making the EFL squirm and sweat for as long as he can highlighting how ineffective as a body they are and Parry along with them. I don't for a second believe that SG wants DCFC to fold but he has absolutely nothing whatsoever to lose and the irony in all this is that his actions and pressure is ensuring that whoever does take control of DCFC will be someone who is in a position to run the club correctly. I get why many may not like or want Ashley at Derby but he kept Newcastle afloat and didn't waste huge amounts of cash risking the future of the Club. Derby fans could do a lot worse than him.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think Gibson's ire is aimed at Morris and the EFL rather than DCFC. Derby unfortunately are collateral damage, caught in the crossfire.

Morris has abandoned ship leaving the mess which had the EFL governed the game properly he (and many other Clubs previously who tried and in some cases succeeded in buying their way into the Premiership) wouldn't have been able to do. Gibson had been banging on about it for long enough but the EFL just swept things under the carpet.

The EFL's lack of a backbone or even genuine interest in what Clubs were doing to me (and I'm guessing to SG) is similar to the goings on in Downing Street in the middle of a lockdown. This time the proverbial has hit the fan and by doing what he and Wycombe are doing is holding clubs to account for their misdemeanours that the EFL would rather deal with far too leniently and late by a paltry fine of a relative insignificant amount.

The Administrators at Derby have done a really poor job. They have had months to sort out the alternative/various purchase options and to line up interested parties. It seems that they haven't a clue what they are doing as witnessed by players having to be sold or contracts not renewed last week which came out of the blue to Rooney. That smacks of sheer incompetence and an attitude of easy money regardless of the outcome for them. That in itself probably needs looking into when this is all sorted but I doubt the EFL will have the stomach for it.

By keeping the "claim" Gibson is rightfully seeking redress for damages to his business and likewise Wycombe. Had the EFL acted timely then Wycombe wouldn't be in League One and that would only leave Gibson's beef. Say if Ashley takes control he may well offer SG a nominal take it or leave it figure and then spends years dragging through various legal arguments or a monthly payment plan over 25 years, who knows. He may even laugh it off and say get stuffed or Gibbo may take a £1 to prove his point. Whatever the outcome the process has made the EFL sit up and take notice and hopefully prevent future such occurrences.

If DCFC were to cease to exist leaving the Championship a team short and all points deducted then that would seriously affect the credibility of the competition and the EFL's handling of it. I think SG is making the EFL squirm and sweat for as long as he can highlighting how ineffective as a body they are and Parry along with them. I don't for a second believe that SG wants DCFC to fold but he has absolutely nothing whatsoever to lose and the irony in all this is that his actions and pressure is ensuring that whoever does take control of DCFC will be someone who is in a position to run the club correctly. I get why many may not like or want Ashley at Derby but he kept Newcastle afloat and didn't waste huge amounts of cash risking the future of the Club. Derby fans could do a lot worse than him.

Sadly Morris is still floating around Derby in the background, he is still the owner, and his other companies hold the ground, so anything to do with Derby till he has gone is ultimately him. 

The administrators are running the club but any deal means Morris involved or benefits somewhere. This may be why Gibson is holding his shot and keeping his powder dry, as I believe he wouldn’t want to harm Derby as a club for the fans, it’s Morris and the like that have his ire and until something changes like a bid goes in I expect nothing but more anguish for the County fans.

As someone who endured the summer uncertainty of 1986 I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. For those who were not around then, trying to discribe how it felt is hard, suffice to say imagine a major part of your life world and culture slowly dying, with very little information or support coming from anywhere or anyone, then rumours lift your spirits and you feel hope only to have them crushed. This goes on day after day after day, along with the stresses of your personal life, and as each day goes on you realise that unless someone steps up it’s all gone.

Thats how Derby fans feel at the moment, they know the reality and just to get through they need someone or something to blame, the same someone to see sense and change their behaviour. For us it was HMRC and the combined EFL. For Derby it’s Gibson. 

There is nothing their fans or ours can ultimately do to sort this out, but understanding and empathy go a long way imo.

• Like 2

So much time between games this month😪 I'm really looking forward to it kicking off for real after the FA Cup game with plenty of midweek games and all the postponed games getting played. It's exciting when you also have to look at other teams and how they are doing.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So much time between games this month😪 I'm really looking forward to it kicking off for real after the FA Cup game with plenty of midweek games and all the postponed games getting played. It's exciting when you also have to look at other teams and how they are doing.

Wigan are going to have an interesting run-in, considering they've got five games in hand on Sunderland. The final weeks of the season could be pretty shambolic for some clubs, as they try to shoehorn in multiple delayed fixtures.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Wigan are going to have an interesting run-in, considering they've got five games in hand on Sunderland. The final weeks of the season could be pretty shambolic for some clubs, as they try to shoehorn in multiple delayed fixtures.

The Premier League and the EFL also have to act now to decide what happens on the final day of the season. 

Several clubs (most notably Coventry) have historically delayed kick offs on the final day so they have the advantage knowing what other results are.

You know clubs will try and use COVID to their advantage.  And even if not through skullduggery what if there are outbreaks at clubs. Does the whole day get cancelled do we play a staggered end to the season?

A couple of years ago Tottenham were forced to play despite a food poisoning outbreak in the club leaving them without 10 “first” team players. It arguably cost them a champions league place.

I can see chaos on the horizon of this isn’t preempted.

• Like 1

Surely the club are going to have to come out and clarify their position on this Derby issue at some point very soon...? Derby fans are (understandably) going to fight tooth and nail to save their club, and at the moment they're controlling the narrative around the whole thing.

I worry we will soon be painted as villains in the media, 'trying to liquidate a club meaning a town loses its football team and people lose their jobs etc.' To be clear I'm not saying it's as black and white as that - but that's the story that's being painted on social media with petitions etc, and calls for MPs to get involved.

February 12th has the potential to kick off massively when they visit the Riverside and I'm concerned this whole debacle is going to start detracting from what Boro should be getting discussed for - a great turnaround in form and a genuine shot at going up.

If Gibson doesn't have a rock solid defence of what's going on I'd rather we just dropped it and focussed on the football. 

12 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Surely the club are going to have to come out and clarify their position on this Derby issue at some point very soon...? Derby fans are (understandably) going to fight tooth and nail to save their club, and at the moment they're controlling the narrative around the whole thing.

I worry we will soon be painted as villains in the media, 'trying to liquidate a club meaning a town loses its football team and people lose their jobs etc.' To be clear I'm not saying it's as black and white as that - but that's the story that's being painted on social media with petitions etc, and calls for MPs to get involved.

February 12th has the potential to kick off massively when they visit the Riverside and I'm concerned this whole debacle is going to start detracting from what Boro should be getting discussed for - a great turnaround in form and a genuine shot at going up.

If Gibson doesn't have a rock solid defence of what's going on I'd rather we just dropped it and focussed on the football. 

The club themselves probably won't come out and make any public statements about the ongoing thing because it gives their side something to argue with. When the Derby fans picked up on the FMTTM post, immediately it was sent to the administrators so they were aware of it. They want the narrative to change and as much as I'd hate to see Derby go out of business, they are playing dirty from a very risky position. The fans are desperate, they're still messaging our fan groups for us to do something about it. I think they're being left in the dark about the entire situation by both sides though.

Right now, going by what Simon Jordan said the other day, us and Wycombe are waiting for an offer from the Derby end to try and settle the problem. Also, listening to him speak about it made it sound like the administrators are just trying to do their best to make the club a good asset to sell.

The whole thing about them using the government's COVID scheme to push back their debts then putting the club into administration to write them off was seemingly just as dirty a tactic as Morris has been getting up to all along to essentially give the club a way of coming back significantly stronger with any half-decent investor. Walking into a debt-free football club sounds like Christmas day which is exactly why Mr. Ashley is sniffing around and is even willing to make a deal with us to get it done.

Gibson looks like he's trying to make sure it's not as easy as that and if they want to do it, they'll have to give us something and quick.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The club themselves probably won't come out and make any public statements about the ongoing thing because it gives their side something to argue with. When the Derby fans picked up on the FMTTM post, immediately it was sent to the administrators so they were aware of it. They want the narrative to change and as much as I'd hate to see Derby go out of business, they are playing dirty from a very risky position. The fans are desperate, they're still messaging our fan groups for us to do something about it. I think they're being left in the dark about the entire situation by both sides though.

Right now, going by what Simon Jordan said the other day, us and Wycombe are waiting for an offer from the Derby end to try and settle the problem. Also, listening to him speak about it made it sound like the administrators are just trying to do their best to make the club a good asset to sell.

The whole thing about them using the government's COVID scheme to push back their debts then putting the club into administration to write them off was seemingly just as dirty a tactic as Morris has been getting up to all along to essentially give the club a way of coming back significantly stronger with any half-decent investor. Walking into a debt-free football club sounds like Christmas day which is exactly why Mr. Ashley is sniffing around and is even willing to make a deal with us to get it done.

Gibson looks like he's trying to make sure it's not as easy as that and if they want to do it, they'll have to give us something and quick.

Interesting... I did hear the Jordan comments but don't fully understand the technicalities of the whole Derby becoming debt-free and returning stronger thing. Was news to me that the £45m thing was *** (I guess Simon may have heard that from Steve himself...?)

I just hope it doesn't dissolve into "Boro are trying to kill Derby" and we get piled on... which is the narrative they're clearly desperate to create. We all know what football fans and pundits are like and most people won't read or understand the details. I'm a Boro fan and I still admit to not fully getting some of it.