oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

6 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

literally lost count how many times he'd shrug 2-3 defenders off and lay the ball to someone else

if you dont go to the games (as you clearly dont) you shouldnt be commenting.. to say uche was rubbish is simply untrue.

No. I'm not allowing this discussion again. This isn't how it works. Stop it.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

if you dont go to the games (as you clearly dont) you shouldnt be commenting.. to say uche was rubbish is simply untrue.

So you're saying people can't get a good idea of player performances from watching games on TV? 🤔

For what its worth I've thought its difficult to judge any striker we've had for a while now, since the service all have received has been patchy at best and non-existent at worst.

None of our forwards has had what you'd call a decent scoring record since Bamford...or Britt's first stint with us.

Thankfully that seems to be changing under Wilder, so we'll be able to better gauge how well they take the chances that are presented to them.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

So you're saying people can't get a good idea of player performances from watching games on TV? 🤔

For what its worth I've thought its difficult to judge any striker we've had for a while now, since the service all have received has been patchy at best and non-existent at worst.

None of our forwards has had what you'd call a decent scoring record since Bamford...or Britt's first stint with us.

Thankfully that seems to be changing under Wilder, so we'll be able to better gauge how well they take the chances that are presented to them.

Why we have never had a dedicated striking coach has puzzled me, especially as we seem to not produce home grown prolific strikers from the academy for the first team. And those we buy seem to dry up. It’s been years since we had a 20+ goals a season from one player. That’s not good enough imho.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Naisby said:

Why we have never had a dedicated striking coach has puzzled me, especially as we seem to not produce home grown prolific strikers from the academy for the first team. And those we buy seem to dry up. It’s been years since we had a 20+ goals a season from one player. That’s not good enough imho.

We did for a bit I think. That's what Hignett was - then Karanka immediately fell out with him

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I thought we were just saying on here a few days ago that Connolly doesn't do Penalties which is why he ducked out at Old Trafford?

We once paid £15M for a Striker who wasn't exactly confidence building when it came to Penalties, all the Seagulls and Pigeons headed for the Eston Hills during his run ups. Heck we even paid £7M or thereabouts for Gestede who struggled to do an impersonation of a Footballer let alone a Striker.

In Uche's first two games for Cardiff he has amassed a total of 42 minutes playing time and two goals. That equates to a goal every 21 minutes! Purely on that Balogun and Connolly better turn into Ronaldo and Messi at this rate. Don't you just love stats and how they can be spun to justify whatever argument you are trying to make. 

I'm in no doubt of Uche's limitations but there have been a couple of games where we could have used him especially Blackburn away to deal with their usual strongarm tactics when we fell behind. Since the two Loan Strikers have arrived Sporar has turned into the brown stuff from being sung about every week. Bad enough that they haven't clicked or are struggling to adapt but our "best" (and I use that word loosely, very loosely) has struggled since he lost Watmore and the two newbies haven't even looked like cutting the mustard, In fact they look totally disconnected with their team mates and seemingly unaware of what tactics they/we are supposed to be playing.

I suspect that Balogun could become something special over time as there are flashes of skill in small bursts. Connolly I suspect is just Brighton's Jordan Jones. My beef is that we needed goal scoring Strikers, not somebody else's long term projects unless we are treating this season as a warm up and aren't seriously bothered about finishing in the top six which I very much doubt.

Meanwhile a big lumbering lummox who seemingly can't control a ball, can't run and has few qualities of merit due to his statistical deficiencies doesn't fit what we need but elsewhere he just puts the ball in the net without needing to be nursemaided. If Connolly and Balogun are the answer than I'm not sure what the original question was. They need time yet the big lumbering donkey we got rid off somehow didn't. We can't have it both ways. Uche didn't fit Wilder's style but the two lightweights don't seem to fit it either.

Maybe the Wilder style is just to run about a lot and scoring is just a "nice to have" bonus. We have struggled for goals and I get that Uche isn't the ideal solution because he doesn't run about but I'd far rather have kept him and all his limitations than what I have witnessed from the incoming replacements. Either they get an almighty kick up their jacksies or we can kiss goodbye to the Play Offs because so far it looks like we have signed two Jaffas. Oh wait, we need to give them more time, let them settle, carry them in other words, look at their beautiful stats. Maybe we can sue Arsenal and Brighton and then maybe Cardiff for the points they will cost us?

Personally I'd rather have a "non fitting" scoring Striker than two "fitting" non scoring Strikers especially one that can at least hold the ball up in whatever system he plays. Of course I'm happy to see him go and that we get two even better Strikers in but the stats don't prove that either unfortunately whichever way you spin and interpret them. According to the Stats Blackburn should be mid table and we should be chasing Fulham, if only Stats ruled the world.

spot on mate

1 minute ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Also, wasn't Robbie Keane meant to be the striking coach during Woodgate's reign?

I'm not sure. I remember Woody saying he'd improve the strikers and Keane the defenders too because of their work against those kinds of players. Think it was all a bit excitable in the face of the job, particularly from Woody.

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Personally I'd rather have a "non fitting" scoring Striker than two "fitting" non scoring Strikers especially one that can at least hold the ball up in whatever system he plays. 

He went 17 matches without scoring for us, I'll be fair and exclude the minute cameos off the bench for Wilder, but here's his spell before Warnock left after scoring his penalty.

Screenshot_20220211-122108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.57feeb22e60fda64993e1e3426ccebae.jpg

He's scored against by far the two worst teams in the league for Cardiff.

If Balogun/Connolly can't score against Peterborough and Barnsley, then fair enough.

I'd rather have two fitting strikers who contribute to the all-round game and chance creation than a single, out of place striker who scores more goals as an individual. But we're also talking about Uche who didn't actually score many goals as an individual.

I love the lad but you could see from minute one under Wilder that for however committed he was, he was really not very effective in how we try to play.

Cardiff are a much better fit for him all round and I'd rather him be there, trying to take points off our rivals in a system that suits him better than be here 'to hold the ball up'. We don't like holding the ball up anyway, we like to keep it moving to create gaps. Usually, you want the ball to stick to someone to give your own players a chance to get up the pitch too but we don't need that either.

• Like 3

Feel free to delete this if you want, but I personally believe that those living many miles away that can't get to games but still choose to follow the team I am lucky to have on my doorstep despite them not over achieving on the trophy front when they could just as easily choose one of the glamour clubs, deserve a bit of respect that we sometimes don't accord. There are stories behind our choices and some are very interesting whilst others are simply "it's my town". I can't fault those who don't have the funds to spend hundreds to attend every game but I have learnt that sometimes that things you don't pick up at the ground can be caught on TV, so their opinions are not totally uninformed. In addition to this, we all have inherent biases (lampposts, midgets etc) and once opinions are formed, it takes a lot to change them. The only thing I would like to add is that I like to see strikers that can offer us different options and Uche does that. He isn't a world beater, but he doesn't hide and if two defenders are marking him, that is one less for Sporar or Crooks to contend with. Not the answer every match, but offers an alternative that gives opponents something to think about. 

• Like 6
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

I'd rather have two fitting strikers who contribute to the all-round game and chance creation than a single, out of place striker who scores more goals as an individual. But we're also talking about Uche who didn't actually score many goals as an individual.

I love the lad but you could see from minute one under Wilder that for however committed he was, he was really not very effective in how we try to play.

Cardiff are a much better fit for him all round and I'd rather him be there, trying to take points off our rivals in a system that suits him better than be here 'to hold the ball up'. We don't like holding the ball up anyway, we like to keep it moving to create gaps. Usually, you want the ball to stick to someone to give your own players a chance to get up the pitch too but we don't need that either.

One striker doing that would be great, expecting to have two at Boro and your dreaming 😅 

Next you will be wanting the defence to contribute goals too as well as stopping them. This is Boro not Brazil 😂 Doing one job right is our motto, multi tasking and successfully is just wishful thinking.