oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Since we have a proper and functioning recruitment department now or so it seems I'd imagine they are already scouting replacements for Jones, Fry and Tav just incase. As big a loss as losing any of them would be I am at least a little bit more confident we could put the money to good use than in previous years. Although if I'm honest this seasons signings have been poor really.

Warnocks bargain buys have succeeded whereas the eye catching names from abroad and the PL loans have ranged from *** to average. Other than payero who still hasn't really had much chance to get going. 

It’s a massive transfer window coming up no matter what division we are in. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

The papers are making *** up all the time when it comes to Man United, but that's a scary link.

He will be linked as will Fry, McNair & Tav. Providing we sell Spence, nothing will come of it this summer. We don't need to sell, his contract is long enough and both he and his agent will know that another season will see his value and potential wages keep on increasing. 

For the likes of Man Utd, players like Spence and Jones are ones to fill out the squad and take a punt on. We are "fortunate" that outside of McNair, none of our most sellable players already have Premier league experience so I am pretty sure that they're a fair way down the wishlist of most Premier league clubs. As things stand, I expect Spence will go for around £15m to a team like Arsenal or Spurs. If Burnley stay up I can see them sniffing around for Tav or Fry but I don't really see anyone identifying any of our players as a prime target or even a back-up target this summer because they know they will have to pay a long way over the odds.

If we don't go up, I do see some heavy duty contract renegotiations with our prime assets being offered non-promotion release clauses.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Cheers I read an article at the weekend saying he was out sooner but was fairly convinced that wasn’t right.

not sure we will renew any of those contracts

It's certainly going to be very interesting to see the rumours and bids as the season draws to a close if we've kept up the good form and the players have too. Just imagine the clamour for Tav and Jones if they can add a few goals to their tally. Just a goal and a good showing against Chelsea will add a few extra million to their names. 

46 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Cheers I read an article at the weekend saying he was out sooner but was fairly convinced that wasn’t right.

not sure we will renew any of those contracts

I'd be surprised if we didn't put anything on the table for Howson albeit I don't think we will go into next season, in either division, without someone coming in to take his place in the side on at least a long-term basis. I suspect we might offer Bamba something on the coaching side so it's up to him whether he's willing to retire. I get the feeling Bamba and Peltier will both want to and will find themselves new clubs to continue playing.

Kokolo and Wing have already left. Burrell doesn't seem to have had much chance at Kilmarnock though has apparently had a bad ankle injury from August to December. I think if Malley was staying he'd have signed an extension before being loaned out. Quite shocked at how he turned up out of nothing, put in a man of the match display, then has completely disappeared again.

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think if Malley was staying he'd have signed an extension before being loaned out. Quite shocked at how he turned up out of nothing, put in a man of the match display, then has completely disappeared again.

Very bizarre that one, certainly has me puzzled. If there are off field issues that the club aren't happy with I haven't heard of anything and let's face it it hasn't stopped them signing or loaning players with baggage in the past. I sense there is another Spence or Jones in there albeit in midfield.

I guess he just doesn't look the part at Rockliffe but he showed in that first team game that he isn't out of his depth. I'd rather we gave him a contract and put him out on loan at a decent level and see how he handles it. That said Graeme Lee knows him pretty well and at Hartlepool's level I would have thought he would have been head and shoulders class wise so something doesn't feel right.

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Very bizarre that one, certainly has me puzzled. If there are off field issues that the club aren't happy with I haven't heard of anything and let's face it it hasn't stopped them signing or loaning players with baggage in the past. I sense there is another Spence or Jones in there albeit in midfield.

I guess he just doesn't look the part at Rockliffe but he showed in that first team game that he isn't out of his depth. I'd rather we gave him a contract and put him out on loan at a decent level and see how he handles it. That said Graeme Lee knows him pretty well and at Hartlepool's level I would have thought he would have been head and shoulders class wise so something doesn't feel right.

I'm guessing if there was anyone at a decent level who wanted to give him a chance and actually play him, he'd be there. I can't imagine we're holding him back. Hell, given some of the loan spells we give to our young players, I suspect if the option was there and he wanted to go that he'd be out on loan somewhere not playing. Maybe the option was there to do that again for him and he just preferred playing for our U23s than nobody at all, in which case I don't really blame him. But it doesn't look good either way.

I don't know a huge amount about Hartlepool's midfield but indeed, as you say, surely Malley would have been a suitable improvement in talent on what they've got so if that move didn't happen, you have to wonder why. I know we were saying we won't just feed them players because we know Graeme Lee but Isaac Fletcher managed to get a move there and has seemingly already done a decent enough job there for a young lad in his first pro games.

31 minutes ago, Brunners said:

We do have to remember his MOTM performance was against 10 man Rotherham.

He also wasn't actually man of the match, Kebano was.

Don Goodman outright said he was only giving it to Malley because it was his debut.

15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He also wasn't actually man of the match, Kebano was.

Don Goodman outright said he was only giving it to Malley because it was his debut.

I think he was a lot of people's man of the match if I remember correctly, on here I mean.  Looked more composed and better on the ball than anyone else in a Boro shirt that night.  One game is just one game of course but barely getting a kick after that game doesn't feel like the right way to aid the development of a young/inexperienced player.  Way too much luck involved in youth development unless a club properly commits to it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think he was a lot of people's man of the match if I remember correctly, on here I mean.  Looked more composed and better on the ball than anyone else in a Boro shirt that night.  One game is just one game of course but barely getting a kick after that game doesn't feel like the right way to aid the development of a young/inexperienced player.  Way too much luck involved in youth development unless a club properly commits to it.

Yep. Nail on the head. Only have to look at Jones to see that. Would he be in the team now if Ameobis knee hadn't exploded in the summer? Unlikely. 

There will always be an element of luck involved in getting that first team chance. For every 1 player who makes it there's 100 who never will. 

• Like 2