• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

I think two great keepers would be a fantastic luxury - play the second keeper in the cups and keep the incumbent on his toes in training.

I'm struggling to remember the last time we had two genuinely good keepers duking it out for the gloves - were Schwarzer and Given at the club at the same time?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I think two great keepers would be a fantastic luxury - play the second keeper in the cups and keep the incumbent on his toes in training.

I'm struggling to remember the last time we had two genuinely good keepers duking it out for the gloves - were Schwarzer and Given at the club at the same time?

No definitely not. Two of my favourite keepers of all time. They were not at the Boro at the same time 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Given was long after schwarzer. The last time we had two top keepers at the club was when we had crossley back up to schwarzer. Scwarzwer was out for a month or two and crossley was unbelievable when he stepped in - so much so a lot of people wanted us to stick with him. 

This whole two keepers duking it out thing is giving me flashbacks to when we let schwarzer go and decided to allow Brad Jones and Turnbull try to battle it out to become number 1 instead of signing someone new - that turned out to be a hugeeee mistake. So it could go either way really!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All this Goalkeeper talk reminds me of the time we had Paul Smith on loan from Forest (2010?).

I thought he done pretty well for us at the time, certainly compared to my expectations. Thinking about that makes me think that we had another loan Keeper around about the same time, maybe a bit earlier/later (not Given obviously) who again done a decent job but I can't recall his name or am I imagining it?

12 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

All this Goalkeeper talk reminds me of the time we had Paul Smith on loan from Forest (2010?).

I thought he done pretty well for us at the time, certainly compared to my expectations. Thinking about that makes me think that we had another loan Keeper around about the same time, maybe a bit earlier/later (not Given obviously) who again done a decent job but I can't recall his name or am I imagining it?

Carl Ikeme? We had him on loan in 2011 and IIRC he did pretty well for us.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Carl Ikeme? We had him on loan in 2011 and IIRC he did pretty well for us.

That's the one, the poor lad had some health problems iirc and later retired at a relatively young age for a Keeper. Funny how once prompted your mind can suddenly recall things.

Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

That's the one, the poor lad had some health problems iirc and later retired at a relatively young age for a Keeper. Funny how once prompted your mind can suddenly recall things.

Yep, he's the reason Rui Patricio wore #11 at Wolves. I thought they'd properly retired the #1 shirt but seems it was just respect from Patricio to Ikeme at the time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Believe he had Leukaemia, yeah.

• Like 1
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Yep, he's the reason Rui Patricio wore #11 at Wolves. I thought they'd properly retired the #1 shirt but seems it was just respect from Patricio to Ikeme at the time.

I think that's because Patricio came in around the same time it was announced that Ikeme had cancer, right? Think if he'd come in a summer later he'd probably have taken the number 1.

• Like 1

Great goal.

I do find it a bit irritating that the club's social media only mention the U23 and other age group results when we win, and even then its only some of the time.

Especially when they often include their goals in the Goal of the Month competitions without ever actually mentioning that match before the result.

You usually have to go on the opposition team's social media to find out results and coverage.

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Great goal.

I do find it a bit irritating that the club's social media only mention the U23 and other age group results when we win, and even then its only some of the time.

Especially when they often include their goals in the Goal of the Month competitions without ever actually mentioning that match before the result.

You usually have to go on the opposition team's social media to find out results and coverage.

I always see reports about the game on the site, win or lose. Highlights too usually.

Highlights of the loss to Reading last night are on the main page of the site right now.

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I always see reports about the game on the site, win or lose. Highlights too usually.

Highlights of the loss to Reading last night are on the main page of the site right now.

I get most of my MFC updates from their Twitter feed.

They'll mention we'll be playing and looking for a win, but it's radio silence after that if we lose.