oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

The same FA who have endorsed the takeover of a football club by a regime that executes gay men 🤔 but yeah a tweet from a 14 year old is much more damaging 🤷‍♂️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

The rules are clear, unfortunately there is no time frame or time limits so anything any player was unwise to commit to the electronic ether at any age is now subject to that rule.

For those of us who’s childhood wasn’t effected by electronic social media can you imagine everything you might have said or written being used against you years later. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

I don't think they could just ignore it, given the last sentence. And while it it was written by a very young man, it was still visible at the time on his account.  I don't think a warning and attending an awareness course is disproportionate at all.

It is absolutely ridiculous. I don't need to take an awareness course now as an adult to admit that some of the stuff I said when I was kid was wrong. Can you imagine your old teacher calling you up tomorrow to say that he overheard something you said in the schoolyard and now you have to take an awareness course. It's embarrasing for your society that it's come to this. He was a freakin' kid and it's not something he has done as an adult. 

• Like 5

It was notable that Wilder posed with his trophy at the training ground but dont see any pics of Jones doing the same. Maybe Jones is one of players with covid and is still isolating..

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

It was notable that Wilder posed with his trophy at the training ground but dont see any pics of Jones doing the same. Maybe Jones is one of players with covid and is still isolating..

Possibly. I'm not expecting Jones to play tomorrow anyway, the lad could do with a rest.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Jones put on his Instagram story of him in a hairdressers so assuming he’s not isolating. I was thinking maybe they found out later in the day when training was finished but wilder was still at the training ground 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It is absolutely ridiculous. I don't need to take an awareness course now as an adult to admit that some of the stuff I said when I was kid was wrong. Can you imagine your old teacher calling you up tomorrow to say that he overheard something you said in the schoolyard and now you have to take an awareness course. It's embarrasing for your society that it's come to this. He was a freakin' kid and it's not something he has done as an adult. 

Looking over my shoulder for secondary school headmaster, after I built a working canon in metalwork & Gunpowder in Science got it working and thought the Putty ball would splat against the first door...not a bit like it, it punched a hole through a 2" fire door and the next door and left the last fire door hanging off its hinges...Police arrived to investigate the explosion and all I could do was look sheepish and whistle. Cost me 6 months detention outside the heads office Police asked where I got the gunpowder.I pointed to the Headmaster(Who was the Science master) he got the curly finger...And I was asked what I wanted to do when I leave school? Told em I was going in the Royal Navy and that was that

• Haha 6
3 hours ago, Borodane said:

I do agree with you, goodness knows I’m glad I grew up when I did. Given that we appear to be living in a post-apology age, though, I think a “don’t do it again” is significantly less severe than I’d feared. 

Again, I think at this is about as lenient as the FA *could* be, especially when they’re making such a public effort with the rainbow laces campaign. Very difficult from a PR point of view, rightly or wrongly. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

I do agree with you, goodness knows I’m glad I grew up when I did. Given that we appear to be living in a post-apology age, though, I think a “don’t do it again” is significantly less severe than I’d feared. 

Again, I think at this is about as lenient as the FA *could* be, especially when they’re making such a public effort with the rainbow laces campaign. Very difficult from a PR point of view, rightly or wrongly. 

The problem is that whilst we know he made the comments as a 14 year old, they're still on his account as a 24 year old. So they can still be attributed to him in some way and yeah, when it comes to the FA dealing with it, not responding at all has the potential to build into something much worse for them. As you allude to, common sense doesn't matter here, they're just covering their own public image as best they can.

So, whilst this won't go down well with everyone... maybe footballers and other public figures should start thinking exactly the same?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's daft that we judge people on comments they made as a child but there are still ways they can avoid that whilst staying on social media. Which is nuking everything before a certain date.

These platforms don't make it easy for users to manage it admittedly, they don't even provide tools to do a mass clean-up of old messages from when I checked yesterday. There are 3rd-party tools to do it though and representatives for these players could be doing more to advise on that front, surely. It's in the best interest of them and their clients' public image to advise on this front so if I was them, I'd be more proactive on that front.

• Like 3

I was watching a re run of a few episodes of the Inbetweeners this week and if someone wanted to, offence could be taken at literally every one liner or innuendo. Humour is of course distinctly different from a blatant tweet but I worry if as a society we end up so sanitised that we cannot say or do anything without someone somewhere looking to take offence.

Yesterday I was reading that the young (probably not so young now) girl from Harry Potter (Emma ?) was anti semitic. When I delved deeper it was because she took part in a march against the treatment of Palestinians by Israel. Damned if she does and damned if she didn't. 

• Wow 1
42 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Agree. With the current socio-political climate we live in today, organisations have to be "seen to be taking action" otherwise they're branded by the Social Justice Warriors as anything from incompetent to institutionally racist, homophobic or whatever.

Thus they are, in effect, forced to use a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Otherwise you can guarantee it will be brought up by some MP during the next session of Prime Minister's Questions.

• Like 1