oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

45 minutes ago, Brisbrough said:

Come on then, own up… Who’s behind the Joe Lumley Fan Club

It's probably my Mrs: "One thing I'll give you is that your players are better looking than the United players, especially your keeper"

She obviously likes them tall, handsome and rugged... at least that's what her boyfriends were like before me 😔

Edited by Foogle
  • Haha 5
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

That Spence news is absolutely brilliant.

Still sell him in summer if we get a good offer but puts us in a much stronger position knowing he has 2yrs left as opposed to 12 months. 

• Like 1

The Joe Lumley Fan Club sounds like the sort of project the former Morris Ital Owners Club chairperson might have founded when he/she/they/it saw their last member leave.

I'm sure Mr Lumley is a lovely bloke who doesn't kick cats (sometimes he struggles to kick the ball, let's face it), but I don't think he's in need of a fan club at this underwhelming stage of his career. It's all a bit Judean People's Front, isn't it?

For all his critics and fax machine gaffes, it’s the first time in ages since Keith Lamb stepped down and took a well earned rest that I think the club has got the setup and the right personnel in place for the club to move forward.

There are many players and coaches who get stands and statues of them named and put up, but in my opinion we really need to put something in place to honour the achievements and debts the club owe him. 

6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

The Joe Lumley Fan Club sounds like the sort of project the former Morris Ital Owners Club chairperson might have founded when he/she/they/it saw their last member leave.

I'm sure Mr Lumley is a lovely bloke who doesn't kick cats (sometimes he struggles to kick the ball, let's face it), but I don't think he's in need of a fan club at this underwhelming stage of his career. It's all a bit Judean People's Front, isn't it?

No it’s all a bit Peoples Front of Judea 😅

• Like 1

Regarding the Howson/Leadbitter kerfuffle, I'd probably look at in the following way:  Howson has been the better player overall in terms of their entire careers although it's probably not by that much really.  The volume of work shows that though in terms of top flight appearances, transfers and so on.  I don't think either would have been likely signings by an established Premier League club, they were both really somewhere in between first and second tier players, with Howson the higher ranked of the two.  In a Boro shirt you'd probably have to give Leadbitter the edge overall.  It's possible that he simply got the chance to play in a better team than Howson but then Howson has never really looked the business for us, shorter periods of good form aside.  In terms of value for money I don't think Howson has represented that for us as we must have now spent over £10m on him.  Ultimately though both of them were just solid Championship midfielders who at their best could probably give you a competitive season or two in the Premier League but no more than that. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

What a strange decision for someone we absolutely didn't want because of all the problems he causes, and who isn't very good anyway.  I guess Forest have saved our bacon on this one, thank you Steve Cooper 👍

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What a strange decision for someone we absolutely didn't want because of all the problems he causes, and who isn't very good anyway.  I guess Forest have saved our bacon on this one, thank you Steve Cooper 👍

Well we all knew he had talent and so did the club. This was just about securing the club if he really broke through, which he did. Might have been something we required Spence to sign in order to get his move. Nothing strange in that at all. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Well we all knew he had talent and so did the club. This was just about securing the club if he really broke through, which he did. Might have been something we required Spence to sign in order to get his move. Nothing strange in that at all. 

That really wasn't the case with a lot of people on here summer just gone. The club is one thing and I'm glad they managed to do that but plenty on here would have thrown the baby out with the bathwater just to get shot of him.

Imagine if we'd sold him to Forest for peanuts like some would have wanted us to do and he played like he had this season. It would be Forest cashing in this summer and not us. We already look somewhat daft having let the lad go out on loan when he could have been playing for us instead of promotion rivals and frankly we're quite lucky Jones managed to adapt into being a wing-back so well. Though admittedly, that judgement of loaning him out when Warnock was here made more sense.

Like I believe @Smogzilla has said on multiple occasions, when it comes to our young players, we should stop being so quick to write them off as duds. Hell, even Jonny Howson has somehow turned up in the last couple of months after 4 years of relative mediocrity. I can understand people wanting rid of him when he was taking home a decent wage-packet and has had no sell-on value for some time but most young players, whilst they're here, will be earning relatively little and are potentially worth a lot of money if they come good.

• Like 1

Total Premier League appearances doesn't define whether one player is superior to another.

If that was the case you'd be telling me that Jack Rodwell was a better player than both or that Gareth Barry was better than Paul Scholes etc.

29 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah silly decision, can we take this extra year off his contract and get shot of him because he's ****. I'll drive him to his new club for a packet of whatever @Denzel Zanzibar deems is the best crisp!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What's strange about it? He had perceived value in interest from Forest, so it follows that we'd protect that perceived value. Would've thought that was obvious especially with Forest picking up his wages. It's a free year for Boro and a chance to put him in the shop window.

3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Total Premier League appearances doesn't define whether one player is superior to another.

If that was the case you'd be telling me that Jack Rodwell was a better player than both or that Gareth Barry was better than Paul Scholes etc.

Jack Rodwell was a better player than both albeit his career flamed out of course.

I think the comparison you are drawing between Barry/Scholes and Howson/Leadbitter isn't really an ideal one mate although I do get what you're saying. Barry/Scholes both had huge numbers of games in the Premier League, but I'd say it was easier to see the difference in quality between the two.  With Howson and Leadbitter I don't think there's much difference at all so you're trying to prise them apart with smaller details.  I guess that I'd say that Howson at his best was slightly better than Leadbitter at his best but as I said, you're really talking about solid Championship players, and there are plenty of them knocking about who are very similar.  If you're asking which player I'd prefer then it would probably have been Leadbitter by virtue of what I've seen of them in Boro shirts.  I think they've both been overrated by our fanbase however.