• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

I have learnt that sometimes that things you don't pick up at the ground can be caught on TV, so their opinions are not totally uninformed. 

I agree with that but you miss a hell of a lot on TV. Watching the game on the box just isn't the same...,

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Naisby said:

One striker doing that would be great, expecting to have two at Boro and your dreaming 😅 

Next you will be wanting the defence to contribute goals too as well as stopping them. This is Boro not Brazil 😂 Doing one job right is our motto, multi tasking and successfully is just wishful thinking.

yes man remember our wing backs under robson, you didnt see them scoring goals and getting assists. actually i think deano did and was brilliant one season. imagine him on the left now with jones on the right. wowsers two wing backs who can defend attack. can only dream of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd rather have two fitting strikers who contribute to the all-round game and chance creation than a single, out of place striker who scores more goals as an individual. But we're also talking about Uche who didn't actually score many goals as an individual.

I love the lad but you could see from minute one under Wilder that for however committed he was, he was really not very effective in how we try to play.

Cardiff are a much better fit for him all round and I'd rather him be there, trying to take points off our rivals in a system that suits him better than be here 'to hold the ball up'. We don't like holding the ball up anyway, we like to keep it moving to create gaps. Usually, you want the ball to stick to someone to give your own players a chance to get up the pitch too but we don't need that either.

Pretty much agree with all of that but having jettisoned him I'd rather we had made an upgrade and not two down grades on what was already a relatively mediocre Striker. Uche is far from being world class and never will be but given a choice of one from three I'd take him every time over what has come in and massively underwhelmed.

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Pretty much agree with all of that but having jettisoned him I'd rather we had made an upgrade and not two down grades on what was already a relatively mediocre Striker. Uche is far from being world class and never will be but given a choice of one from three I'd take him every time over what has come in and massively underwhelmed.

Well Balogun has already shown in segments that he is a better fit than Uche and is actually positively effecting us so I'd pick him out of those 3 any day of the week. Not sure why you'd think Uche was the better of those options, to be honest.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Well Balogun has already shown in segments that he is a better fit than Uche and is actually positively effecting us so I'd pick him out of those 3 any day of the week. Not sure why you'd think Uche was the better of those options, to be honest.

Uche is a different style of player to Balogun. If you play to his style and strengths he will have a positive effect for you in terms of goals and points. 

2 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

literally lost count how many times he'd shrug 2-3 defenders off and lay the ball to someone else

if you dont go to the games (as you clearly dont) you shouldnt be commenting.. to say uche was rubbish is simply untrue.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same lad who was convinced fry was rubbish? Did you form that opinion from going to games?

• Wow 1
Just now, Foogle said:

26 Passes and 66 Touches for this goal against a top team, amazing what Wilder has got out of these same players in a short space of time compared to Warnock...

I read that in our last game under Warnock we managed 27 passes in the whole second half. Yet some still think that he did a good job with what he had (Including my friend who goes to games so obviously he is right and I am wrong). 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Naisby said:

Uche is a different style of player to Balogun. If you play to his style and strengths he will have a positive effect for you in terms of goals and points. 

Yeah but we don't play to his style or strengths and there's no reason we should for the sake of him.

We're judging our team's business on what effects our manager and our club's intended philosophy; Uche's strengths and style does not positively affect those things. So why keep him over a player who does?

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah but we don't play to his style or strengths and there's no reason we should for the sake of him.

We're judging our team's business on what effects our manager and our club's intended philosophy; Uche's strengths and style does not positively affect those things. So why keep him over a player who does?

I’ve seen Uche have more impact for Boro and Cardiff than Balogun.

I’m not saying one is better or worse than the other, just what I’ve seen.

Another point on uche - all this talk about him not suiting our style, which is true. But he did suit Warnocks style and he still couldn't get past sporar or watmore as first choice. In fact Warnock said he was brought in to be 3rd choice. If he doesn't do well in a Warnock type team or a wilder type team, where does that leave him?

2 goals against the worst teams in the league and people are totally rewriting history. 

10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Uche will be league one at best in 2 years time. Bookmark/screenshot/whatever this comment and come back to me in 2024. 

Couldn't care less where Uche (if he's not a Boro player by then), Connolly and Balogun end up in two years or ten years time, totally irrelevant to the situation we are in here and now. It's like Braithwaite and Traore being used as evidence that they were great Players while they were here because they play for Barcelona now. One had unfulfilled potential and the other never really got a run in a settled side and became embroiled in internal Club politics. Neither of them got us promoted.

It's what happens now that matters and right now we need goals from Strikers that can actually score. So far we had a limited one that to me looked like he could have still done a job despite his limitations and two that are someone else's projects that we are carrying and not contributing anything of merit. Out of the two I suspect that Balogun may be able to undo a defence but it's more optimism than belief at this stage. Sadly the other one is doing exactly what I thought he would do. Maybe they can take a look at their goal stats and try and work on them a bit harder.