oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

14 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that he will 'donate' the ground or something similar just to avoid having to pay the £3m

and avoid receiving millions more himself? 

I think if they have come to a legal settlement even if he gives the ground away he will still have to pay the money back, they probably have a charge on the property for the settlement value so wouldn't be allowed to change hands without us agreeing to do so if it wasn't paid off in full.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

and avoid receiving millions more himself? 

I think if they have come to a legal settlement even if he gives the ground away he will still have to pay the money back, they probably have a charge on the property for the settlement value so wouldn't be allowed to change hands without us agreeing to do so if it wasn't paid off in full.

He won't be receiving much of anything, he'll just be preventing it costing him any more, the reason he wants £20m for the ground is because that is the amount of the loans from MSD that are secured against the ground. 

Just now, Will said:

He won't be receiving much of anything, he'll just be preventing it costing him any more, the reason he wants £20m for the ground is because that is the amount of the loans from MSD that are secured against the ground. 

Well he is still receiving that to pay off the loans at the least, and like I said it would be standard practice to put a charge on the stadium for the agreed settlement so even if he not coming out with any additional cash for himself he is still paying this money out or the stadium goes no where. Not like any solicitors working for the club would leave open a huge liability like that, and even if was no charge and no money taken for the stadium he still owes the money and has other cash or assets. This is odds on just his way of trying to settle and get the new owners to pay for it.

29 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that he will 'donate' the ground or something similar just to avoid having to pay the £3m

Gibson isn’t stupid. The agreement won’t be that easy to by-pass.

The Athletic published an interesting article on team playstyles. 

https://theathletic.com/3317384/2022/05/18/introducing-playstyle-wheels-the-athletics-way-of-capturing-ways-a-team-play-well-or-not/?source=rss

Definitions copied in below the image, but you can see definite things there like boro being good at reclaiming possession but poor at attacking transitions while having a high safety rating - indicating we lack attacking thrust and nous. Same with switching play (stretching opps), poor at attacking and defending set pieces. Interesting I thought.

image.thumb.png.8bcd7cbed474e130339de6d8aea9b0bf.png

Here are the definitions of each metric:

Possess (green)

Build-up: likelihood that an open play possession starting in team’s own third will reach the final third

Field tilt: team’s percentage share of both teams’ attacking third passes

Safety: likelihood that team will retain possession or move the ball out of the first 60% of the pitch within eight seconds of winning it there (see counter-press in the Press section)

Disrupt (brown)

Progressive passes: average number of progressive passes (successful, open play passes that gain at least 25% of the remaining distance to goal) per possession

Switches: average number of switches (successful passes that cross at least half the width of the pitch) per possession

Dribbling: average combined number of progressive carries (carries that move the ball at least 15% of that remaining distance to goal) or successful take-ons per possession

Finish (yellow)

Transition: likelihood that a possession starting in final 60% of pitch will end in a shot within 12 seconds

Chance creation: average non-penalty expected goals per each possession that reaches final third

Set pieces: average non-penalty expected goals within eight seconds of a corner kick or free kick taken less than 35 metres from goal

Press (red)

Counterpress: likelihood that team will recover a ball in the highest 60% of the pitch within eight seconds of losing it there (this is the inverse of Safety in the Possess section at the top)

High press: passes allowed per defensive action in highest 40% of pitch

Start distance: average starting distance from opponent’s goal of team’s open play possessions

Defend (blue)

High defence: likelihood that team will prevent opponents’ open play possessions starting in opponent’s third from reaching team’s third (see build-up in the Possess section)

Low defence: average non-penalty expected goals conceded per opponent possession that reaches team’s third (see chance creation in the Finish section)

Set piece defence: average non-penalty expected goals conceded within eight seconds of opponent corner corner kick or free kick taken less than 35 metres from goal (see set pieces in the Finish section)

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, boroie said:

The Athletic published an interesting article on team playstyles. 

https://theathletic.com/3317384/2022/05/18/introducing-playstyle-wheels-the-athletics-way-of-capturing-ways-a-team-play-well-or-not/?source=rss

Definitions copied in below the image, but you can see definite things there like boro being good at reclaiming possession but poor at attacking transitions while having a high safety rating - indicating we lack attacking thrust and nous. Same with switching play (stretching opps), poor at attacking and defending set pieces. Interesting I thought.

image.thumb.png.8bcd7cbed474e130339de6d8aea9b0bf.png

Here are the definitions of each metric:

Possess (green)

Build-up: likelihood that an open play possession starting in team’s own third will reach the final third

Field tilt: team’s percentage share of both teams’ attacking third passes

Safety: likelihood that team will retain possession or move the ball out of the first 60% of the pitch within eight seconds of winning it there (see counter-press in the Press section)

Disrupt (brown)

Progressive passes: average number of progressive passes (successful, open play passes that gain at least 25% of the remaining distance to goal) per possession

Switches: average number of switches (successful passes that cross at least half the width of the pitch) per possession

Dribbling: average combined number of progressive carries (carries that move the ball at least 15% of that remaining distance to goal) or successful take-ons per possession

Finish (yellow)

Transition: likelihood that a possession starting in final 60% of pitch will end in a shot within 12 seconds

Chance creation: average non-penalty expected goals per each possession that reaches final third

Set pieces: average non-penalty expected goals within eight seconds of a corner kick or free kick taken less than 35 metres from goal

Press (red)

Counterpress: likelihood that team will recover a ball in the highest 60% of the pitch within eight seconds of losing it there (this is the inverse of Safety in the Possess section at the top)

High press: passes allowed per defensive action in highest 40% of pitch

Start distance: average starting distance from opponent’s goal of team’s open play possessions

Defend (blue)

High defence: likelihood that team will prevent opponents’ open play possessions starting in opponent’s third from reaching team’s third (see build-up in the Possess section)

Low defence: average non-penalty expected goals conceded per opponent possession that reaches team’s third (see chance creation in the Finish section)

Set piece defence: average non-penalty expected goals conceded within eight seconds of opponent corner corner kick or free kick taken less than 35 metres from goal (see set pieces in the Finish section)

Very interesting. The stats seem to back up the general consensus on the teams strengths and weaknesses.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcus-tavernier-trait-appreciated-middlesbrough-23997719

Nice opinion piece on Tav, but the bigger reason I'm posting it is because Tav apparently ran an absolutely titanic 16km in the United cup game. I think the highest distance covered I've seen in a single game before is around 13km, even the best in the PL in this metric average just over 10km per game. Probably a large part of why Wilder likes him so much, he is absolutely crucial to the system we play.

• Like 4
Just now, Will said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marcus-tavernier-trait-appreciated-middlesbrough-23997719

Nice opinion piece on Tav, but the bigger reason I'm posting it is because Tav apparently ran an absolutely titanic 16km in the United cup game. I think the highest distance covered I've seen in a single game before is around 13km, even the best in the PL in this metric average just over 10km per game. Probably a large part of why Wilder likes him so much, he is absolutely crucial to the system we play.

He's always putting in a shift in a game, so I'm not trying to detract from him and I've no doubt he'd rank highly anyway, but surely a big part of that is because the cup match was 120 minutes.

A Premier League match is only 90 minutes, a fit and energetic player is bound to exceed that average if they're on the pitch for 33% longer.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

He's always putting in a shift in a game, so I'm not trying to detract from him and I've no doubt he'd rank highly anyway, but surely a big part of that is because the cup match was 120 minutes.

A Premier League match is only 90 minutes, a fit and energetic player is bound to exceed that average if they're on the pitch for 33% longer.

Highest single game in the PL last season was 12.7km, I doubt there's many players capable of sustaining their highest workrate of the season for a further 30 minutes, so I still think Tav's figure is pretty outstanding.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Will said:

Highest single game in the PL last season was 12.7km, I doubt there's many players capable of sustaining their highest workrate of the season for a further 30 minutes, so I still think Tav's figure is pretty outstanding.

No wonder we looked so knackered toward the end of the season, forgot two of the games went to extra time and most of these players played 3 games in those weeks. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Will said:

And there are actually people who believe the other two do more running than Tavernier.  Absolutely barmy.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

And there are actually people who believe the other two do more running than Tavernier.  Absolutely barmy.

I get the impression that with Tav a few people set their stall out early and decided he wasn't good enough. They're then far too stubborn to admit they got it wrong.

• Like 6