oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

I think it's better he plays football.  Eventually it will sink in with some people that playing football at an appropriate level is the best way for younger players to develop, in fact it's just about the only way.  He should have been playing for us this season or he should have been playing for another Championship side.

But he isn't at another Championship side, nor is he in our first team. So surely he should be playing this afternoon rather than sitting at home?

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

What team, especially a Championship team is he going to go to and slot in as first choice. Anywhere he goes he will be at least 3rd choice so why not stay at Middlesbrough in a comfortable environment in a team he knows and bide his time?

As a youth player and local lad he'd be more happy to sit on the bench than somebody we get on loan, and whilst he's not playing keeping some match fitness is a good thing.

I think it's better he plays football. Eventually it will sink in with some people that playing football at an appropriate level is the best way for younger players to develop, in fact it's just about the only way. He should have been playing for us this season or he should have been playing for another Championship side.

If we loan him out we are very short in that area. So we would have to loan someone in , I agree it would be better for his development to go on loan but it wouldn’t be better for the team. So if he’s staying then I agree with Dane he’s better off playing an u23 game than just training

What team, especially a Championship team is he going to go to and slot in as first choice. Anywhere he goes he will be at least 3rd choice so why not stay at Middlesbrough in a comfortable environment in a team he knows and bide his time?

As a youth player and local lad he'd be more happy to sit on the bench than somebody we get on loan, and whilst he's not playing keeping some match fitness is a good thing.

I think the point CT is making is that he isn't making our bench at the moment, so he's having no exposure to Championship football at all, which he really should be.

Send Fry on a 2/3 month loan deal to somewhere he is going to play on a regular basis and we get him back in time for the running at the end of the season.

otherwise send him til the end of the season and we put a clause in the deal when he can be recalled at anypoint.

Fry needs to be out playing Championship football. I have no doubt he'd start in half the league's teams (at least).

Definately. We need backup first though. Perfect scenario is we get someone in on a free who is towards the end of his career, has plenty of experience and is happy to be backup. Just like we had with Woody when Ayala and Gibson first started to form that strong partnership.

Well perfect would obviously be to get someone better than Ayala or Gibson but that's likely not going to happen.

Fry needs to be out playing Championship football. I have no doubt he'd start in half the league's teams (at least).

Definately. We need backup first though. Perfect scenario is we get someone in on a free who is towards the end of his career, has plenty of experience and is happy to be backup. Just like we had with Woody when Ayala and Gibson first started to form that strong partnership.

Well perfect would obviously be to get someone better than Ayala or Gibson but that's likely not going to happen.

I think most people agree he would be better on loan getting games but unless we get someone in the team wouldn’t be better off we would be a CB light

I'd prefer Fry to be playing in a team that he knows in front of fans that will have a lot of patience and time for the lad. He'll also be soaking up Pulis' coaching here.

There's no guarantee that he will play if he is loaned out. In the same breath people are talking about getting a 3rd choice centre back in on loan to replace, that is exactly what teams will be looking at Fry as. What team is going to pin their hopes on an inexperienced centre back as their first choice?

I'd prefer Fry to be playing in a team that he knows in front of fans that will have a lot of patience and time for the lad. He'll also be soaking up Pulis' coaching here.

There's no guarantee that he will play if he is loaned out. In the same breath people are talking about getting a 3rd choice centre back in on loan to replace, that is exactly what teams will be looking at Fry as. What team is going to pin their hopes on an inexperienced centre back as their first choice?

He's not that inexperienced though. He has 28 championship games under his belt and has been involved with our first team squad for a few years now. He could add a lot to struggling teams.

We ought to hang on to Fry, it would be crazy to loan him out. Player development is not just about getting minutes on the pitch, it’s about being coached as part of a squad by an experienced manager who knows how to drill players, that manager will also know, that if needed, Fry can step up to the challenge of first team football.

Surely that’s what being a young professional footballer is all about, you try hard in training, listen to the coaching staff and take your chance when it comes.

We ought to hang on to Fry, it would be crazy to loan him out. Player development is not just about getting minutes on the pitch, it’s about being coached as part of a squad by an experienced manager who knows how to drill players, that manager will also know, that if needed, Fry can step up to the challenge of first team football.

Surely that’s what being a young professional footballer is all about, you try hard in training, listen to the coaching staff and take your chance when it comes.

While those things are obviously very important I think you are underestimating the value of competitive action every week. The tricky part is finding a club with the right manager that can coach him the right things.

While those things are obviously very important I think you are underestimating the value of competitive action every week. The tricky part is finding a club with the right manager that can coach him the right things.

He gets competitive action in the under 23’s, the club is more important than the player and we need him as back up.

Fans spend half the time moaning when we bring in loan players at the expense of our academy players, now you want to do exactly that you couldn’t make it up.