oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

Boro 'don't want to be named and shamed' over national minimum wage wrangle, tribunal hears

A tribunal will decide whether Middlesbrough Football Club broke the law by deducting money from its staff's wages to pay for season tickets. A hearing was told that staff, who were paid the minimum wage, had requested to pay off cards for the 2016-17 season over a number of weeks.

But by making those deductions, in early 2016, it meant the club paid its staff less than the national minimum. Now, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) claims the club has broken the law - whether or not the staff were happy with the arrangement.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/boro-dont-want-named-shamed-15779697?ref=BNTMedia&utm_medium=twitter

Boro cleared 

Steve Gibson said:I am delighted that our appeal has been successful. We have maintained for two years that the position that HMRC had adopted was unreasonable and that it was not in the public interest to pursue this matter against the Club"

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/club-statement-hmrc-tribunal

That's good news. It did seem to be a pretty bizarre one from HMRC.

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Today Sky Sports showed the highlights of our decisive promotion winning game at home to Brighton. It reminded me of how the atmosphere that day was something truly special. However, it was pretty distressing watching that high quality team of ours as we're so far away from that level now. The quality of the top three teams of Burnley, us and Brighton (though they flopped in the play offs) in our promotion winning season of 2015/16 is far above any teams within the Championship this season.

The Championship is becoming even more bloated with so many inefficiently run clubs so it really isn't that difficult for the well run clubs to rise towards the top. Norwich are the prime example. Even Leeds haven't spent loads of money but have recruited well to build a decent side. Them top three sides in the 2015/16 season would still destroy them though. This season could see some fairly average Championship sides promoted.

Selling an original 92/93 third shirt in pristine condition. Shirt is a rarity and an absolute gem. Passed into my possession some time ago, but I'm looking to part with most of my collection now. 

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum to post this in, but email/PM if you're interested and I'd be happy to provide additional info/pictures!

Today Sky Sports showed the highlights of our decisive promotion winning game at home to Brighton. It reminded me of how the atmosphere that day was something truly special. However, it was pretty distressing watching that high quality team of ours as we're so far away from that level now. The quality of the top three teams of Burnley, us and Brighton (though they flopped in the play offs) in our promotion winning season of 2015/16 is far above any teams within the Championship this season.

The Championship is becoming even more bloated with so many inefficiently run clubs so it really isn't that difficult for the well run clubs to rise towards the top. Norwich are the prime example. Even Leeds haven't spent loads of money but have recruited well to build a decent side. Them top three sides in the 2015/16 season would still destroy them though. This season could see some fairly average Championship sides promoted.

We were saying the same (about the quality of the teams this season) at the match on Saturday. If you look at the two good season's we had under Karanka I don't think our team now or Leeds would be good enough for a top 6 place.

The quality of teams this season is so poor and it could be a chance missed as a club.

Boro accounts show multi-million pound losses as cost of relegation revealed

The financial cost of Boro’s relegation from the Premier League has been laid bare after the club revealed multi-million pound annual losses.

The club has today released its accounts which show it made a pre-tax loss of £6.4m in the year to June 30, 2018.

The period covers the fallout from club’s relegation from the Premier League in May 2017 and its unsuccessful promotion campaign last season.

The accounts also reveal that the club has recouped £27.7m in deals since last June, boosted by the sales of players such as Ben Gibson and Adama Traore.

The losses compare with profits of almost £7m a year earlier , when the club’s coffers were boosted by a £100m top flight TV windfall.

The club’s revenues halved from  £121m to £61.9m after a slump in income from broadcasting from £100m to £46m.

However Boro’s costs also fell to £89.5m from £51.3m as spending on wages fell. The losses are also well below the record deficit of £31.9m two years ago.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/boro-accounts-show-multi-million-15851494

So are we screwed or not? Any financial wizards out there to break it down? A loss of 6.4 million doesn't sound all that alarming, but then again that is included the parachute payments of 46 million. That drops significantly for the current season but then we've made a profit in the transfer market of almost 28 million after the accounts. So not all that bad. It'll probably be bad if we don't get promoted and don't recieve parachute payments next season. And it looks like we still owe Gibson 93 million but just 7 million to the banks.

Looking back, in 2015 the club owed Gibson 83 million and in 2014 76 million. Is that Gibson pulling money out or how does that read? Or is it a sign of him bankrolling the club?

"£27.7m in deals since last June,"

sounds little, or is that netspend?

Last time the Gazette reported it we hadn't received a penny from Leeds for Bamford

Thats profit on all the deals in and out since the accounts were made on 30. june 2018. Adama and Gibson out and some players in including loans, agent fees etc. Don't know if it's including the Saville deal as we paid that in january this year, but I would imagine it is.

Last time the Gazette reported it we hadn't received a penny from Leeds for Bamford

So what? It's still a future fee that is due. I doubt Burnley have paid the Gibson fee in one sum and I doubt we paid the Flint fee in one sum. We are owed plenty of money while we still owe plenty of money to other clubs.