Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
LukeR

'Other Boro stuff'

Recommended Posts

I think some are trying to rationalise this as being pointless because the club are still the ones who made the decisions and are ultimately correct. But it seems like you are just seeing this as the club trying to save face after a particularly poor period of recruitment for the club.

 

However,I dont think that's the point from gibsons point of view. His hatred of agents is well publicised, probably more than any other chairman in the country. I think he sees this as an opportunity to flush out a corrupt agent (and a manger who has attempted to profit through said agent) and ultimately hopefully tighten the fifa/fa rules around agents to slow their strangulation of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think some are trying to rationalise this as being pointless because the club are still the ones who made the decisions and are ultimately correct. But it seems like you are just seeing this as the club trying to save face after a particularly poor period of recruitment for the club.

 

However,I dont think that's the point from gibsons point of view. His hatred of agents is well publicised, probably more than any other chairman in the country. I think he sees this as an opportunity to flush out a corrupt agent (and a manger who has attempted to profit through said agent) and ultimately hopefully tighten the fifa/fa rules around agents to slow their strangulation of the game.

No, I agree with that mate.  I don't think he's trying to save face, I think he's *** off with whatever went on but maybe also *** off with things that aren't Monk related and possibly that's driving this as well.  However the problem with setting himself up as a moral guardian of the game, if that's what he is doing, is that you don't employ someone with a chequered past and act like someone has died when he moves on.  I don't believe anything he and we do will have any effect on FIFA and FA rules quite honestly but if Gibson wants to spend his money pursuing it then good luck to him, as long as it's not the club's money then it's fair play to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that nothing has happened on this for a year (since the letter was sent to Monk) suggests the club are not confident of taking it any further. Monk’s reputation will take a hit but there are plenty of managers and agents with worse reputations. Pulis got a cut of our sales - did that motivate him to act in the best interests of the club? Or just to make sales? 

The big conclusion (as has been stated by a few on here) is that the people in the club with oversight over transfers are not doing their job anywhere near well enough - Fletcher for £7m should never have happened after we’d already bought so many strikers. We still need a proper revamp internally - unfortunately there appears no chance of that happening while Gibson is owner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

No, I agree with that mate.  I don't think he's trying to save face, I think he's *** off with whatever went on but maybe also *** off with things that aren't Monk related and possibly that's driving this as well.  However the problem with setting himself up as a moral guardian of the game, if that's what he is doing, is that you don't employ someone with a chequered past and act like someone has died when he moves on.  I don't believe anything he and we do will have any effect on FIFA and FA rules quite honestly but if Gibson wants to spend his money pursuing it then good luck to him, as long as it's not the club's money then it's fair play to him.

It may not change fifa or FA rules but it may discourage clubs from hiring monk and Featherstone which might be good enough for Gibson. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Borodane said:

It may not change fifa or FA rules but it may discourage clubs from hiring monk and Featherstone which might be good enough for Gibson. 

Yeah absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All sounds rather dodgy between Monk and Featherstone, but as been mentioned why on earth were people high up in the club, whose job it is to make such decisions, grossly over paying for multiple players. Monk may have recommended players, but ultimately it’s up to the club to decide how much they’re going to pay for a player. 

 

Gibson seems to be going on these public moral crusades (which I agree with in principle), but I’m probably in the minority in thinking that it’s slightly embarrassing to be airing this all publicly, and to the neutral football fan it probably just smacks of bitterness that we’ve wasted shed loads of money these last couple of years and failed to get promoted.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes you worry a bit about the decision making at the club, to think that the two managers before Woodgate were Monk and Pulis.  clearly no checks on their past and characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another nice story about jonathan woodagates son carter his no1 fan was pulis this is what woodgate said on why his son loved pulis 

"He loved Tony and used to call him gaffer," said the ex-England international.

"When he left, I told him and he started crying because he was gutted.

"Tony was brilliant with him and they'd play football together."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was sad about traore when he left and called pulis a father figure i wish he would of stayed and we might of just got promotion

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...