oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

I just think it's a bit dangerous to make statements like that in football nower days, a statement like that could easily be used as a stick to beat him with much like Gibson's 'smash the league' statement was, rightly or wrongly. 

• Replies 22.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

On 8/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, Smogzilla said:

Boro u18s playing Man City this morning.  Calum Kavanagh, son of Graeme, on the bench for Boro. Not bad considering he's 15!

Get him in the first team! Just so we can have a potential midfield three of Sav, Kav and Tav.

Edit: That's assuming he's a midfielder like his old man.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Get him in the first team! Just so we can have a potential midfield three of Sav, Kav and Tav.

Edit: That's assuming he's a midfielder like his old man.

Hes a striker actually!

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

I'm sorry as soon as I've learned there are professional subbuteo players I forgot everything else you've said. That's absolutely wonderful and my night is much better knowing they exist.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Sounds very believable given all the other nonsense happening at the time. I'd say that 90% of what Ravanelli said about the club after he left is probably true.

8 hours ago, Brunners said:

I'm sorry as soon as I've learned there are professional subbuteo players I forgot everything else you've said. That's absolutely wonderful and my night is much better knowing they exist.

I may have overdone it by saying 'professional', he doesn't do it for a living but all 3 of my brothers-in-law have been attending tournaments all around the world since they were kids and one of them is essentially one of the best players in the world. I was shocked to hear people still played Subbuteo when I first met him like 8 years ago but it's still got a very strong community!

8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

This story doesn't really fit the timeline of events. The requests to postpone the game started about 36 hours before the game was due to be played.

1 hour ago, Will said:

This story doesn't really fit the timeline of events. The requests to postpone the game started about 36 hours before the game was due to be played.

These were the Robson days. A 36hr hangover was probably the norm.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Will said:

I mean it's probably multiple hands of information down the line by the time it reached them 2 so the details may be a bit murky even if any of it is true, neither of them are Boro fans either.

It's more that he said it was quite commonly known around Boro that that was the kind of thing the players and indeed Robson himself would get up to and that at that time in particular, it was pretty much common knowledge that it occurred. If it's in any way true that our club and fans have cried at an injustice for so long on the back of a lie, I'd be interested to know that though it's very difficult to take them for their word.

29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean it's probably multiple hands of information down the line by the time it reached them 2 so the details may be a bit murky even if any of it is true, neither of them are Boro fans either.

It's more that he said it was quite commonly known around Boro that that was the kind of thing the players and indeed Robson himself would get up to and that at that time in particular, it was pretty much common knowledge that it occurred. If it's in any way true that our club and fans have cried at an injustice for so long on the back of a lie, I'd be interested to know that though it's very difficult to take them for their word.

I just don't understand how it could be the case. If they'd got so wankered on a Thursday that they had to call off a game on the Saturday I think Gibson would've sacked Robson on the spot. Gibson/Lamb first contacted the FA at 10am on the Friday before the game was due to be played on the Saturday, I don't see why with this amount of notice the club doctors/medical team couldn't have had any hung over players on saline drips to re-hydrate them long before kick off.