Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
LukeR

'Other Boro stuff'

Recommended Posts

I just think it's a bit dangerous to make statements like that in football nower days, a statement like that could easily be used as a stick to beat him with much like Gibson's 'smash the league' statement was, rightly or wrongly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boro u18s playing Man City this morning.  Calum Kavanagh, son of Graeme, on the bench for Boro. Not bad considering he's 15!

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 10:36 AM, Smogzilla said:

Boro u18s playing Man City this morning.  Calum Kavanagh, son of Graeme, on the bench for Boro. Not bad considering he's 15!

Get him in the first team! Just so we can have a potential midfield three of Sav, Kav and Tav.

 

Edit: That's assuming he's a midfielder like his old man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Get him in the first team! Just so we can have a potential midfield three of Sav, Kav and Tav.

 

Edit: That's assuming he's a midfielder like his old man.

Hes a striker actually!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

I'm sorry as soon as I've learned there are professional subbuteo players I forgot everything else you've said. That's absolutely wonderful and my night is much better knowing they exist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

Sounds very believable given all the other nonsense happening at the time. I'd say that 90% of what Ravanelli said about the club after he left is probably true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brunners said:

I'm sorry as soon as I've learned there are professional subbuteo players I forgot everything else you've said. That's absolutely wonderful and my night is much better knowing they exist.

I may have overdone it by saying 'professional', he doesn't do it for a living but all 3 of my brothers-in-law have been attending tournaments all around the world since they were kids and one of them is essentially one of the best players in the world. I was shocked to hear people still played Subbuteo when I first met him like 8 years ago but it's still got a very strong community!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Here's something I heard Saturday from two of my brothers-in-law, I don't know if they were chatting crap or not but they told me that that Blackburn game that caused 3 big problems for us in the 90s was not abandoned due to a 'bug'. I was young at the time and not into football so I only know what I've read but they suggested what actually happened is they were all out at Tall Trees in Yarm the night before and it was nothing more than a bunch of hungover messes as opposed to any kind of bug.

Thing is they said it was a hugely common story at the time? I've never seen or heard anything about it. What's up with that?

One of my brothers-in-law also said that he may be able to ask Ravanelli about what happened to clarify. He's like a world class professional Subbuteo player and plays for Perugia. One of his teammates is apparently best mates with Ravanelli, like he was best man at this lad's wedding, that close. So he might get to meet him when he's next over in Italy and said he'll ask him about it if he can. ?

This story doesn't really fit the timeline of events. The requests to postpone the game started about 36 hours before the game was due to be played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will said:

This story doesn't really fit the timeline of events. The requests to postpone the game started about 36 hours before the game was due to be played.

These were the Robson days. A 36hr hangover was probably the norm.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Did I see Robbie Kean at the Spurs v Newcastle match?

 

Yeah, he was a pundit for Sky Sports

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Will said:

This story doesn't really fit the timeline of events. The requests to postpone the game started about 36 hours before the game was due to be played.

I mean it's probably multiple hands of information down the line by the time it reached them 2 so the details may be a bit murky even if any of it is true, neither of them are Boro fans either.

It's more that he said it was quite commonly known around Boro that that was the kind of thing the players and indeed Robson himself would get up to and that at that time in particular, it was pretty much common knowledge that it occurred. If it's in any way true that our club and fans have cried at an injustice for so long on the back of a lie, I'd be interested to know that though it's very difficult to take them for their word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean it's probably multiple hands of information down the line by the time it reached them 2 so the details may be a bit murky even if any of it is true, neither of them are Boro fans either.

It's more that he said it was quite commonly known around Boro that that was the kind of thing the players and indeed Robson himself would get up to and that at that time in particular, it was pretty much common knowledge that it occurred. If it's in any way true that our club and fans have cried at an injustice for so long on the back of a lie, I'd be interested to know that though it's very difficult to take them for their word.

I just don't understand how it could be the case. If they'd got so wankered on a Thursday that they had to call off a game on the Saturday I think Gibson would've sacked Robson on the spot. Gibson/Lamb first contacted the FA at 10am on the Friday before the game was due to be played on the Saturday, I don't see why with this amount of notice the club doctors/medical team couldn't have had any hung over players on saline drips to re-hydrate them long before kick off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Yes I would agree with this if mid table like a month ago but as now we are heading league one we have to cut losses sack Woodgate get a Warnock in to keep us in the Championship. As if we get league one football it's a very long way back!
    • I enjoyed the game tonight tbh, despite it being freezing. I thought we went toe to toe with Leeds for the most part and could have quite easily nicked a goal or maybe even two on a different night. I'm not ready to completely write Woodgate off just yet - I think until he's had a proper chance to balance the squad to his liking over the summer & also get rid of all the various high earners (who've been pretty uninspired for several managers over several years now), it's kinda difficult to judge the poor bugger. He's clearly not doing a fantastic job, but I think a lot of managers would have struggled with us this season - espescially given the task of relying on youth and completely overhauling the playing style, but with pretty much the same core group.. All the young players will be a season better next year and hopefully the same will go for Woodgate. Assuming we make some positive moves/changes to the squad over the summer, we can start to build from there. Although I appreciate that it's fashionable to be negative on this forum, so with that said; Woodgate out!
    • The Forrest games on Monday this gives the club a long weekend of double training sessions. As honestly Gibson needs to say Woodgate will you resign if he doesn't sack him then get a Warnock in who be here 9am this morning getting them players drilled for 4 days. I reckon if this happened by Monday night the Boro will be transformed and may beat Forrest. But nope this won't happen the players will laze around for 4 days doing pre season like drills then stuffer another L on Sky. I don't actually think Boro have won a game live on Sky this year
    • Don't really want to see George  playing for us anymore, he has lost it totally. Food for thought I do not imagine for one moment that Ben Gibson will be donning a Boro shirt if we do go down
    • 352 britt and fletcher up front, howson or spence rwb, tav in the middle where he was doing well. 
×
×
  • Create New...