oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

29 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

I think Browne will be enjoying London with his pals now he is banned for three games. I've seen enough of this lad to think he won't cut it. What's everyone else's view on him? 

I still don't think we've seen enough of him, he's not played much more than 4.5 games worth of minutes in the league across 13 appearances. He's never done a full 90, 80 minutes against Preston was the closest he's come, 57 minutes before that, meaning a third of his game-time came across 2 games.

Across the games I've seen him, including the final pre-season friendly, he's direct, he's got a trick in him and he's relatively quick. Not quick enough to get beyond some full-backs but relatively quick. His decision making is about as good as you'd expect a young lad's to be, he rarely gets it right but it's through no fault of his effort levels (but I'll add that this is why it baffles me to see him playing behind two strikers, as an attacking midfielder, he's not ready for that). Which unfortunately brings me to the negatives; I don't think anybody who has seen Browne play this season will be surprised to see he's got himself sent off for something daft. It's frankly mad that he's only received one booking before the Swansea game. He's tenacious, he wants to really get in people's faces and presses hard, particularly when playing on the wing.

He's a bit of a raw talent, I think there could be something there still but ultimately we've not seen enough of him. And maybe him and his fellow new signings' failings come down to the rookie coaching they receive? Who knows. But for both him and the other 2, let's not forget where they were last season and how old they are. There's still a chance for them to be a success in our team and we shouldn't write them off entirely. We got them on the cheap for a few reasons but one of them is that really nobody thinks they're immediately ready for this level.

It's just a shame how much further off all 3 of them are than we perhaps thought.

• Like 4
  • Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

One of Browne’s main problems seems to be that he’s over keen. It leads him to do silly things like poor decision making with the ball and making stupid tackles. There was a home game earlier in the season where he looked like he was going to get himself a 2nd yellow card, through being too eager to dive into tackles, so the warning signs were there before now.  He cost us the game at Swansea, so I can understand people’s frustrations. However, let’s not lose sight of the fact that he’s a young player who only has meaningful experience in League 1, playing in a disorganised side this season, just freshly back from another injury and was bought for peanuts so him struggling for us isn’t a great surprise. He was always going to be a prospect that needs patience and time to settle so let’s not be disproportionate with the situation.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1

I think people are exaggerating how bad his challenge was.

His first game for us he was over eager and they took him off to protect him from himself, but Saturday's red card was a mistimed tackle. That's it.

The diving wasn't on, but McNair has being doing it all season unpunished, as have other players.

3 hours ago, ballyclover said:

Am hearing Neil Warnock to be brought in to help Woodgate....Rumour FB

So I've got it on pretty good authority he's been up and helping with training for a while now. 

• Wow 1

I'll just put this on the record to look back on in a few weeks but Woodgate said this on the failed McNair appeal: 

"We thought we had grounds to appeal because they said he stamped on him but he didn't stamp on him"

Yeah he just clocked him with an angled elbow to the skull c'mon FA! It's to a broader point than the tolerated indiscipline though it's a theme that has ran through Woodgate's entire stint it's that in every interview he comes across as painfully unintelligent some might say now it doesn't matter I think in a few years when people look back it's going to be a part of how he's judged. You don't need a manager with a Einstein IQ it's just that his judgement on things is guided by how dumb his thought process works it's the same root cause of him throwing the players under a bus vs Crewe+Sheff it's a handicap on us as a club as long as he's in charge and I can remember Boro managers spinning/lying I can't remember one so sincerely stupid everytime he talks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

I'll just put this on the record to look back on in a few weeks but Woodgate said this on the failed McNair appeal: 

"We thought we had grounds to appeal because they said he stamped on him but he didn't stamp on him"

Yeah he just clocked him with an angled elbow to the skull c'mon FA! It's to a broader point than the tolerated indiscipline though it's a theme that has ran through Woodgate's entire stint it's that in every interview he comes across as painfully unintelligent some might say now it doesn't matter I think in a few years when people look back it's going to be a part of how he's judged. You don't need a manager with a Einstein IQ it's just that his judgement on things is guided by how dumb his thought process works it's the same root cause of him throwing the players under a bus vs Crewe+Sheff it's a handicap on us as a club as long as he's in charge and I can remember Boro managers spinning/lying I can't remember one so sincerely stupid everytime he talks.

As much as I agree it sounds thick that someone would be able to appeal a red card that has clearly been given for the wrong reason, I don't think any other club would have acted differently, certainly not one in our situation with a thin squad, battling at the bottom and the player in question being one of our better players. I think Pulis would have done it, I think Karanka would have done it, I think any manager we've had would have done it. I don't think your point of making Woodgate look less intelligent than other managers for what he's said on this particular occasion holds any weight, to be honest.

56 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

As much as I agree it sounds thick that someone would be able to appeal a red card that has clearly been given for the wrong reason, I don't think any other club would have acted differently, certainly not one in our situation with a thin squad, battling at the bottom and the player in question being one of our better players. I think Pulis would have done it, I think Karanka would have done it, I think any manager we've had would have done it. I don't think your point of making Woodgate look less intelligent than other managers for what he's said on this particular occasion holds any weight, to be honest.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-ayala-appeal-heard-fa-15980749

Pulis forcefully appealed the 2 straight red's we had last season the Ayala crunch and Besic's shirt drag he was forthright after both publically attacking referees for poor decisions that isn't what happened here. If 1 of his players elbowed his way to a red I can't see him defending the conduct and indiscipline of a loose elbow to be honest our discipline under Pulis was measured 7 months later we're seeing elbows and dive ins and a manager acting as if fait accompli what's a boy to do no one's taking control of our discipline the same way no one's taking control of our predicament.

Desperation and threat of relegation aren't excuses Woodgate should be using you need a calmness in our situation all we see week after week is naive, stupid comments as our point tally barely moves whether people want Woodgate to have more time or not these aren't the type of comments that fill anyone with confidence he's taking us forward. 

11 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/daniel-ayala-appeal-heard-fa-15980749

Pulis forcefully appealed the 2 straight red's we had last season the Ayala crunch and Besic's shirt drag he was forthright after both publically attacking referees for poor decisions that isn't what happened here. If 1 of his players elbowed his way to a red I can't see him defending the conduct and indiscipline of a loose elbow to be honest our discipline under Pulis was measured 7 months later we're seeing elbows and dive ins and a manager acting as if fait accompli what's a boy to do no one's taking control of our discipline the same way no one's taking control of our predicament.

Desperation and threat of relegation aren't excuses Woodgate should be using you need a calmness in our situation all we see week after week is naive, stupid comments as our point tally barely moves whether people want Woodgate to have more time or not these aren't the type of comments that fill anyone with confidence he's taking us forward. 

Under Pulis we appealed Adama actually striking someone in the face and it was overturned.