oneBoro Forum
LukeR

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

One of the worst penalty decisions I’ve ever seen given against Bristol City at Hillsborough  

Just saw it. Wow that was a bad call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Theres a difference between being able to read the game when you are on the pitch to being able to coach and manage players. 

Some of the best English players of all time failed as managers. 

Of course there is, but people are just flat out calling him unintelligent and he's shown in his playing career that he isn't, even though it's apparently a 'running joke' that he's unintelligent throughout his career (by who, I wonder?), not just management. Thus why I pointed out we've not had a more intelligent defender in my years of following Boro. By my own analysis, taking that into account, what does that make Southgate, Ehiogu, Riggott, Pogatetz, Wheater, McManus etc.? They must all have struggled to tie their own shoelaces if Woodgate is thick.

Even failing as a manager doesn't make you thick.

• Like 2

I would have thought that being thick makes you thick, as it were?  I'm not sure how him being a good footballer relates to his intelligence though?  I don't understand the link between the two?

28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Of course there is, but people are just flat out calling him unintelligent and he's shown in his playing career that he isn't, even though it's apparently a 'running joke' that he's unintelligent throughout his career (by who, I wonder?), not just management. Thus why I pointed out we've not had a more intelligent defender in my years of following Boro. By my own analysis, taking that into account, what does that make Southgate, Ehiogu, Riggott, Pogatetz, Wheater, McManus etc.? They must all have struggled to tie their own shoelaces if Woodgate is thick.

Totally agree Woodgate was a superb defender, only injury stopped him gaining a multitude of England caps. Yes, you would have to question the management at Spurs and Real Madrid wanting to sign such an unintelligent footballer, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.

If failing as a manager makes you thick then there's a lot of unintelligent ex footballers kicking about. 

• Like 1

I just don't see that if Woodgate fails as a manager that makes him thick and unintelligent, it just makes him a poor manager/coach nothing more.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rioch's Braves said:

I just don't see that if Woodgate fails as a manager that makes him thick and unintelligent, it just makes him a poor manager/coach nothing more.  

He hasn’t failed yet either. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I would have thought that being thick makes you thick, as it were?  I'm not sure how him being a good footballer relates to his intelligence though?  I don't understand the link between the two?

Although I suppose it's possible that had it not been for his illness, Stephen Hawking would have been one of the best number 10's in history.  It's also a little known fact that when the apple fell from the tree, Isaac Newton didn't just watch it fall, oh no.  He took it first time on the volley and put in the top bin before whipping off his coat, waistcoat, shirt and cravat whilst running to the crowd.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think you are confusing the two again. 

You can be highly skilled at a sport and still be completely gormless in normal life. I'd say Woodgate was an excellent defender and superb at reading the game. If that's what people class as intelligent on the pitch that's fair enough. When he wasn't playing he was undisciplined and made lots of poor choices in life that led to him spending half of his career injured. Is that intelligence? 

I think hearing Woodgate talk he doesn't immediately strike you as being particularly articulate. If you listen to one of his interviews compared to one of Southgate's there's a big difference in how they can express themselves. That clearly will be a difference in the way they are able to communicate with their players. 

3 minutes ago, Lord_Moose said:

Head of recruitment Adrian Bevington is leaving at the end of the month 

1 minute ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

DoF incoming

Steve Round again? 

3 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Steve Round again? 

Didn’t Steve round goto arsenal?