oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

34 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

i agree with that @p_mards. I thought Saville was easily the pick off the bunch and none of the other players covered themselves in any great glory. I thought Saville did well in that deeper role and what I like about him there is when he gets the ball his first thought was to look up and try move ball forward. Hope it continues to get better. Paddy been off the boil lately but hoping he can put in a more dominating performance v Luton.

I think Saville has been our best player since October.

Fans expect more because they thought he was brought in to score goals from midfield, but he offers so much more than that and it's good to see us playing him a bit deeper and breaking and linking up play.

• Like 2
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

Posted Images

I don't think he's been levels above anyone else but he absolutely has improved his performances a lot from the entirety of whenever I've watched him previous to about December. I've never thought much less of a player than I have Saville going to that point but credit where it's due, he's grown into it this season and I'm actually quite happy to have him around now. It's great when players like that prove you wrong.

I see Saville now as being akin to Leadbitter with the way that he isn’t anything flash and won’t have a fantastic Youtube reel of great goals and tricks, but he does the basics really well. I think a two man midfield of Saville and Clayton would be able to be solid enough to protect the defence from central areas, and would give a solid platform for others to get forward. We haven’t done the basics right all season so something drastic needs to change if we’re going to have any chance of getting promoted in the next few seasons.

2 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

teams have been targetting our left side all season to be fair

That's because coulson isn't positionally very good as a defender. He is good going forward and is always looking to be in a more advanced position, which can work to our advantage when attacking but he needs to improve his defensive side. Hopefully see friend come in on the left side of a back three, and he can talk to him on the pitch and help him improve.

Interesting input from Jon Walters:
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/burnley-middlesbrough-ben-gibson-news-17740954

"I'll start with the fact that Ben is an unbelievable professional by the way. He joined Burnley for about £15million from Middlesbrough and he was in and around the England squad at the time," he told BBC 5Live.

"He just hasn't played. He trained unbelievably well every single day. He is so professional outside of the club and he is constantly doing things to keep himself on top.

"Obviously something has happened. From the outside it looks like he wants to go. Something has happened within the club. Whether it's a falling out with the manager or staff, whatever has happened.

"Watford have come in a few times for him and there is no way that Burnley would let him go to Watford because where they are in the Premier League and the chance that it could come back and bite you.

"There might have been a chance for him to go to Middlesbrough and it hasn't come about. I'm pretty sure that he thought it was coming about. His value has gone right down but I'm pretty sure good offers would have come in.

"From the outside he would have had three different choices: Stay with the under-23s, go to another club with the transfer window still open or go and train with another club for the rest of the season. For me the club have made a mess of it. His value has gone down because he hasn't been playing."

• Like 1

Whether it is true or not I don't know, but Fry allegedly not 100% fit...but playing because without him, there are no centre backs at moment.....Wood has tremendous potential but would not like to see him thrown to the sharks...pity we couldn't have another centre half on loan to do a job till end of season...but at least we have something to discuss 

He pulled up at Wigan and had to go off against Brum along with Roberts. Wonder if those 2 are linked. I'd rather us play McNair at the back than force Fry to play through injury, especially as McNair seems to have forgotten how to play midfield right now anyway.

• Like 1

So that begs the question, according to SDS we would have only had to pay £2m for him in Jan due to Burnley still owing us. Do they pay us money to take him in the Summer now 🕵🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

If they had decent offers it wouldn't be rocket science. But he cost them 15 million and massive wages which has turned out to be something like 3 million every game he has played. They are obviously looking for the best deal, and when Watford swoop in with a permanent deal and wages covered they are obviously not going to accept Boro cheap loan. Put yourself in Burnleys shoes. You have a player kicking up a fuss (in my eyes it's more on Gibbos shoulders this standoff) that has cost you a lot of money. They just want the best deal.

To me it sounds like Gibson har acted totally unprofessional and Burnley won't stand for it. He chose to sign for a Prem team knowing that competition is fierce and his manager just doesn't think he is good enough to play ahead of the others. He didn't sign a contract that says he was first choice. Fair enough he wants to leave but at least be professional about it.

If it wasn't because Gibson is a "home-boy" I wouldn't touch him.

You can lead a horse to water you can't make it drink, if the rumour is right and Gibson didn't want to go to Watford then that's his personal choice. Gibson cost £15 million, but your hardly going to re coup anywhere near that from a player who has hardly played a competitive game for Burnley since his move. Burnley took a risk with Gibson it didn't pay off, it would also be a risk for Watford. With regard to the cheap Boro loan deal I honestly can't comment since I'm not in a position to know what the club actually offered.

As for your comment on the homeboy, Gibson was superb for us in the Championship, and one of the top CB's in the championship and also our stand out player in our poor season in the PL, I'd have had him here in a heartbeat, he walks into the 1st 11, its all about opinion.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DevKWat said:

So that begs the question, according to SDS we would have only had to pay £2m for him in Jan due to Burnley still owing us. Do they pay us money to take him in the Summer now 🕵🏻‍♂️

That was if we wrote off the £4m that Burnley supposedly still owe us in instalments for his original transfer. I don’t know when that is due - but if some or all is due before end of season then there is less to write off and so more to pay. 
That all supposes we can still get him in summer. You can understand Burnley not being willing to let him go to Watford now. In the summer one or both could be out of Premier league and it wouldn’t matter. Even if they are both still there, letting him go at start of a new season, having signed another centre half, is entirely different. So I assume they will look for the highest price in summer, which probably won’t be us.
Just depends how obstinate BG is, if he is desperate to come back to Teeside. If he sticks his heels in and refuses to go elsewhere, then it becomes a game of bluff - he risks being stuck not playing next season and Burnley risk paying out and getting nothing in return. They will want it sorting as soon as possible at end of season - to stop the cost of his wages and give them some money for players, so hopefully it won’t drag on.

1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Whether it is true or not I don't know, but Fry allegedly not 100% fit...but playing because without him, there are no centre backs at moment..

Again, McNair spent most his career at CB and Howson has been outstanding playing there. It's just making excuses for Fry who has been a donkey all season.

If Moukodi keeps up his level of form (- the own goal) I'd sign him in a heartbeat. It seems as though they want rid as well so we should hold all the cards when making a deal.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/celebrate-boros-team-of-the-decade-at-the-riverside

Current Boro stars including George Friend, Dani Ayala and Adam Clayton are on the guest list, as well as Goal of the Decade winner Ashley Fletcher, with a host of former fan favourites including Albert Adomah, Ben Gibson, Grant Leadbitter, Patrick Bamford and Adama Traore also invited to attend*.

*Please note that guests are subject to change.

I think our general squad is so imbalanced atm. We have Clayton, Saville, Howson, McNair, Tav, Wing, Morrison all in the middle of the park. Then you look forward and we have no wingers...still! (bar Johnson), and then 4 strikers.

When Roberts comes back, I wouldn’t be against playing Coulson LW, if Friend can do a job at Lb (probably not). I sometimes watch him play and think to myself that’s where he should be playing. He’s so quick and is great at dribbling, beats his man, wins fouls and isn’t a bad crosser. Defensively he’s quite small, and positionally not the best. 
I think he could genuinely be a very good left sided winger for us. 

Spence Moukoudi Ayala Friend/Bola 

Saville McNair

Roberts Wing/Morrison Coulson

Striker

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

As a LB you need to make a better attempt to stop the cross and as a free roaming CB as Moukoudi was marking Kiefer Moore it's your job to cover the space across the front post. That's just my opinion and then If Moukoudi doesn't go for the header and leaves it as Fry did , Moore scores a tap in.

5 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

I used to play left back and defensive midfield. As a fullback it is your job to stop crosses coming into the box. As a midfielder you are to watch for the overlap and help the full back. Then then one of the CBs can cover the front post. But because Fry was out of position Moukoudi had to step in, and unfortunately he headed it into his own net. 

Coulson was virtually touch tight to his man.  If a cross field pass comes across and gets there in that situation then it's just a good pass.  Fry and Moukoudi are both on Moore when the initial pass comes across if you look at it.  Fry then moves toward the near post and leaves Moukoudi on Moore.  Their right back has lots of space and Wing is nowhere near him and not close enough to the lad who receives the pass to let Coulson cover the overlap, hence they get the cross in.  I'd like Fry maybe a yard deeper at most but any more than that and he's well inside the six yard box and out of position given where the ball is played in from and where Moukoudi and Moore are.  Moukoudi loses his man and is focused only on the ball.  If he stays with his man he can clear it from that position rather than launching himself at the ball.  Fry gets *** for absolutely everything on here and most of it is ill informed nonsense.  If people are seriously blaming him for that goal ahead of Wing and Moukoudi then they need their heads examining.

1 hour ago, mendieta420 said:

Again, McNair spent most his career at CB and Howson has been outstanding playing there. It's just making excuses for Fry who has been a donkey all season.

If Moukodi keeps up his level of form (- the own goal) I'd sign him in a heartbeat. It seems as though they want rid as well so we should hold all the cards when making a deal.

More clueless drivel.  Well done 👍