oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

In regards to recruiting/signing players. Could someone shine a light on how it is done at Boro (No points for replying poorly). Do we 

a) Let the manager identify specific targets and go after them. In a kind of 1st , 2nd 3rd wish list  approach. 

b) Let the manager identify a position that needs strengthening and a type to fill it and leave it to a recruitment team

c) Identify areas of the team that needs rebuilding and let the recruitment team do it

or 

d) Drink 8 pints of snakebite and throw oversized darts at a rotating board with photos of players available randomly stapled to it

• Haha 1
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

I wish someone at the Gazette would ask JW if the club actually know what is wrong with Ayala? 

Every week when JW is asked about him he goes "Ayala is 3 or 4 weeks" away from returning. Unless JW has difficulty counting or the time has stopped ticking in his world that answer makes little sense every week.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Uwe said:

In regards to recruiting/signing players. Could someone shine a light on how it is done at Boro (No points for replying poorly). Do we 

a) Let the manager identify specific targets and go after them. In a kind of 1st , 2nd 3rd wish list  approach. 

b) Let the manager identify a position that needs strengthening and a type to fill it and leave it to a recruitment team

c) Identify areas of the team that needs rebuilding and let the recruitment team do it

or 

d) Drink 8 pints of snakebite and throw oversized darts at a rotating board with photos of players available randomly stapled to it

I think it's:

e) Whatever anybody out of the manager, chief executive and chairman feel like at any given time. Then Gibbo rolls a couple of dice to see whether he'll fund it.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think it's:

e) Whatever anybody out of the manager, chief executive and chairman feel like at any given time. Then Gibbo rolls a couple of dice to see whether he'll fund it.

Doesn’t the drummer in the South stand have a say in things too?

Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Doesn’t the drummer in the South stand have a say in things too?

He was heavily involved in our attempt to land the Ivorian Ba'dum Tiss. He also hopes Sting can be the next big name to attend the Riverside after Take That and The Killers.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He was heavily involved in our attempt to land the Ivorian Ba'dum Tiss. He also hopes Sting can be the next big name to attend the Riverside after Take That and The Killers.

When were The Killers considered "big"? 😂

I'd be impressed if we could land the Foo Fighters (they seem to be permanently on tour lately), Tenacious D, or even Kaiser Chiefs, if we want to go local(ish).

13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'd be impressed if we could land the Foo Fighters (they seem to be permanently on tour lately), Tenacious D, or even Kaiser Chiefs, if we want to go local(ish).

I'd say The Killers are bigger than the Kaiser Chiefs.

As for your original question they were absolutely huge after they blew up in 2004/2005.

14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Are you serious? The Killers are one of the biggest rock bands of the 21st century! They've headlined MSG, Wembley and Glastonbury twice, as lately as 2019.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

I wish someone at the Gazette would ask JW if the club actually know what is wrong with Ayala? 

Every week when JW is asked about him he goes "Ayala is 3 or 4 weeks" away from returning. Unless JW has difficulty counting or the time has stopped ticking in his world that answer makes little sense every week.

Ha ha I was thinking the exact same thing mate. 

13 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'd say The Killers are bigger than the Kaiser Chiefs.

As for your original question they were absolutely huge after they blew up in 2004/2005.

12 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Are you serious? The Killers are one of the biggest rock bands of the 21st century! They've headlined MSG, Wembley and Glastonbury twice, as lately as 2019.

Ooh - seems I've touched a nerve here. Oops.

I've never rated them personally. I'd even say its a bit of a stretch calling them a "rock" band. I've always thought they were more "heavy indie" - but thats just me.

Plus headlining Glastonbury doesn't mean you're good...I mean they've had King Douchebag himself Kanye West, along with the likes of Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and lots of other acts I'd consider extremely naff.

I like to make a distinction between "good" and "popular". 😁

26 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Ooh - seems I've touched a nerve here. Oops.

I've never rated them personally. I'd even say its a bit of a stretch calling them a "rock" band. I've always thought they were more "heavy indie" - but thats just me.

Plus headlining Glastonbury doesn't mean you're good...I mean they've had King Douchebag himself Kanye West, along with the likes of Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys and lots of other acts I'd consider extremely naff.

I like to make a distinction between "good" and "popular". 😁

I'd conflate big with popular. I can't stand Kanye West but he's certainly a popular figure. 😄

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Or it's showing they're not Championship quality players.

4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Thank God for that, I was worried it was just down to the poor coaching 🙃

The key line which you two have missed is "Whether it’s poor recruitment, poor coaching or a mix of both is unclear yet."

Bola and Browne are 22 year old, and Dijksteel still only 23 year old so they're still young and have done very well in League One. Their performances last season attracted Championship interest from the likes of Brentford, Bristol City and Derby so there's clearly something that them big Championship all liked as well as us before we signed them. I clearly aren't saying it is totally down to Woodgate's poor coaching, I'm merely saying that we don't know yet whether their struggles here this season have been poor recruitment, poor coaching or a mix of both is unclear.

Awards and nominations

Main article: List of awards and nominations received by The Killers

The Killers have been nominated for seven Grammy Awards, seven BRIT Awards, and twenty-four NME Awards.

The Killers have won four NME Awards for "Best International Band," in 2005, 2008, 2009, and 2013.[121] The band has won a BRIT Award for "Best International Band" in 2007 as well as a MTV Europe Music Award for "Best Rock Group" in 2006.[122][123] Also in 2006, the band won for "Best Video" for "When You Were Young" at the Q Awards.[124] To date, the band has received six nominations for "Best International Band" at the NME Awards, four nominations for "Best International Group" at the BRIT Awards, and three nominations for "Best Rock Group" at the MTV Europe Music Awards.[125][126][127][128][129]

Sales accolades

The Killers are the only international act to have a five-album streak of No. 1 albums, from their debut, on the UK Albums Chart.[72]

Single "Mr. Brightside" is the longest-charting single on the UK Singles Chart of all time (221 weeks).[130]

Hot Fuss charted in the year-end UK Albums Chart each year from 2004-2009 and ranks among the top 20 longest-charting albums on the UK Albums Chart.[131]

Sam's Town charted in the year-end UK Albums Chart each year from 2006-2009 and has spent more than two years on the UK Albums Chart.[131]