oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

it's not exactly surprising. Football is a short career and they need to make as much money during it as possible. I would be interested to know what the actual data says, because I would guess after 3 months off going from no football to games within about 2/3 weeks of being back training could lead to more injuries, so it makes total sense to me that players looking for one final pay day are hesitant to put it in jeopardy. 

If the season had gone as normal they wouldn't have had 3 months with no football & would be playing as normal. The situations aren't comparable IMO.

If someone like Ayala tears an ACL in these last few games, he's absolutely ***.

I just don't think you can blame them for maximising their interests in a fickle & short career.

I know it's not surprising but that doesn't make it right.  I do think the situations are completely comparable though.  They aren't being asked to do additional work, they are being asked to do the same work they would have been doing anyway, work that they've already been paid to do, which is the fundamental point.

I've got no idea what three months off and then a months training would do as regards injury risks.  Players through the season have injuries for that time and then go back to training and playing reasonably quickly so what's the difference here?  How long does it take for a player who has been out of action for 3 months to get playing again?  You'd expect them back within a month and that's after recovering from an injury, not just relaxing and keeping fit for a few months, which is what we're talking about now.  I mean, some countries seasons have that length of break in between the end of one season and the beginning of the next so again, what's the difference?  A normal pre-season is about a month or so isn't it?  5 weeks maybe, something like that?

If the players were being asked to do extra work then yeah I'd have a different point of view but they aren't.  They are being asked to finish the season that they've already been paid for.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I highly suspect that after this, clubs will start to bring forward extra power into their contracts to better handle situations like this. I suspect pretty much every club worth its salt will seek to protect its interests in times like this in future. But needless to say, this is a situation that is unprecedented in the modern game. It's very much in the territory of an 'act of God' clause. The way players respond to it after clubs have kept them paid and kept them fit during lockdown, it could just strengthen the resolve for clubs to take hold of situations like this in case it should happen again. Or maybe they'll just bend over backwards like usual and take advantage of other clubs making these suggestions.

The only way I see things staying the same is if the large majority of players take a short term extension to their current deals to see out the season and the PFA throws support behind the idea. I get the argument for looking after themselves, they are professionals and should do right by themselves first, absolutely. And maybe put it this way in their defence, for players out of contract, they could be heading into a huge period of uncertainty as clubs will surely not be diving into transfers with the same desire as they usually do. If we're all in lockdown again by the time the transfer window was set to open, these players are done for and there's no guarantee that every player will even be offered an extension by the club too. If they can get a long term contract signed and sealed before we get there, they'll be covered. Otherwise, clubs will get shot of them when the season's over and they'll be stuck.

But true, commitment, or lack thereof, is all too often a problem of the modern game. As you say, player power is king. Leaving at the end of their contract generally speaking isn't something anyone can argue about. Leaving during a season that is yet to be completed because of this pandemic that means it couldn't be completed exactly by the end date of their contract, it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth and I'm surprised given how publicly Lee Bowyer has tackled certain subjects that he seems to have taken this one entirely in his stride.

I thought FifPro had suggested that players could agree some sort of extension so that the contracts would just add an additional 6 weeks or whatever was needed but I haven't heard anything since then.  I would guess that players and agents would have tried to put the stop on that, while making sure they were still getting their money for not doing any work.

I understand what you're saying regarding uncertainty but all players face that to some degree when they are coming to the end of the contract.  Some players will have a lot less than others if they are in high demand obviously.  That's the risk they accept for not being in the position of being forced into things as they were before Bosman.  Ultimately, all I am talking about though is them doing the work they have been paid for.

If clubs don't alter their contracts after this then they will want their heads examining.  I'd have a decent bet they nothing will change at all because that's the nature of the business and how badly run it is.

I assume given all our out of contract players have returned to training suggests they are all willing to play until 30th June at the least...

15 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

There's a reason some of the charlton lads arent playing. It'll come out this week

Is it to do with their owners? I know they've been in crisis (again) the last few months.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

yeah it is. Wouldn't play for free either myself

Its honestly insane the amount of nonsense that has gone on at that club. Years of it.

1 hour ago, nunthorpered said:

yeah it is. Wouldn't play for free either myself

Makes absolute sense. They needed to find £700k by the end of last week just to pay wages... Didn't hear if they actually did or not.

But why risk your life - especially in the case of Lyle Taylor as a Player of Colour - for a club which isn't even going to pay you to do so? If, indeed, this turns out to be the case.

If anyone is interested to know what's going on at Charlton, this twitter thread is a good summary of the insanity.

Keep in mind this has all occured since January, when they finally escaped the clutches of Roland Duchalet, only to fall into a new mess. 😬😬😬

1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:
Keep in mind this has all occured since January, when they finally escaped the clutches of Roland Duchalet, only to fall into a new mess. 

If only we could get rid of Steve Gibson, though, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

That could have a huge impact on the relegation battle, he's been massive for them.

Not something I like to see, but he's not doing anything wrong contractually speaking.

Not doing anything wrong?  Isn't he refusing to play while under contract?  He's presumably contracted and being paid until at least 30 June, maybe longer depending on whether or not contracts are adjusted for the current situation.  

Edited by sackrobson2