oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

40 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

If we can sell Fry for any kind of inflated fee and then put it towards perm deals for Gibson and Moukoudi, it sounds like smart business. Both much better players.

We have no idea what kind of player Gibson is anymore considering he hasn't played football for two years going into next season and you can gurantee that he will be on much bigger wages than Fry. And I'm still not totally convinced on Moukoudi, certainly not enough to brand him a better player than Fry or with more potential. I agree that if Gibson is as good as when he left us and Moukoudi can develop even further then yeah it sounds like smart business.

If it somehow panned out like this:

Sell fry at 20 mil

Buy Gibson for 5 and Moukoudi for 3

It would be shrewed business on paper and would allow further strengthening elsewhere. But Gibson is sounding like an expensive gamble.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It would also perhaps make it more understandable why Lee Bowyer's response is more one of acceptance rather than of anger.

Aye. The old "Bamford wanted to move to Leeds" tactic. 

1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

That's the insinuation from various quarters - @nunthorpered mentioned it yesterday, and some journalists have started to pick up on it too.

They needed to raise £700k by the end of last week, but each takeover fell by the wayside, mainly due to the make up of the debts at the club and how toxic their finances have become.

It seems Taylor, Solly, etc have told the club they won't play and won't extend their deals to see out the season when they're not getting paid to do so. There's far more to it that meets the eye, and it's expected to come out into the open in the coming days. 

Charlton are in deep, deep trouble.

didn;t our CFO come from Charlton?

56 minutes ago, Borodane said:

We have no idea what kind of player Gibson is anymore considering he hasn't played football for two years going into next season and you can gurantee that he will be on much bigger wages than Fry. And I'm still not totally convinced on Moukoudi, certainly not enough to brand him a better player than Fry or with more potential. I agree that if Gibson is as good as when he left us and Moukoudi can develop even further then yeah it sounds like smart business.

If it somehow panned out like this:

Sell fry at 20 mil

Buy Gibson for 5 and Moukoudi for 3

It would be shrewed business on paper and would allow further strengthening elsewhere. But Gibson is sounding like an expensive gamble.

I totally agree with you, we have no idea if Gibson is up to the job he’s not played for 2 years and clearly wasn’t motivated enough to get anywhere near the Burnley team, if he wasn’t SG’s nephew, there is no way that we would be signing a player with that sort of track record. 
I’d rather hold on to Fry and bring Nathan Wood through. 

9 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I totally agree with you, we have no idea if Gibson is up to the job he’s not played for 2 years and clearly wasn’t motivated enough to get anywhere near the Burnley team, if he wasn’t SG’s nephew, there is no way that we would be signing a player with that sort of track record. 
I’d rather hold on to Fry and bring Nathan Wood through. 

That is conjecture, we have no idea why he didn't crack the Burnley team. 

• Like 1

Just saying things how I see them, Brunners. He’s not even training with Burnley, hasn’t for months, so I don’t think he has any motivation whatsoever to play for them. 
By all means disagree, but provide some sort of argument to back your reasoning. 

2 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Sean Mark Dyche!    😄

It must have been a massive shock for poor Ben when he walked into the dressing room on his first day only to find out that Sean Dyche was the Burnley manager. 

It has been hinted at in the past the Burnley bought him to replace someone who was then never sold, if Gibson had been told these are my starters and even when they're unavailable you won't get a chance he probably wouldn't have signed.

according to Johnathan Walters, Gibson was a true professional during his time there

Walters added: "I will start by saying Ben is an unbelievable professional, he joined for £15million from Middlesbrough when he had been in and around the England squad and he just didn't play.  

"He trained unbelievably well every single day, he is so professional outside of the club, he is always doing things to keep himself on top and improve himself and obviously something has happened.

"It looks like he wants to go, something has happened within the club whether it is a falling out with the manager or staff.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Brunners said:

That is conjecture, we have no idea why he didn't crack the Burnley team. 

I agree with what Brunners is saying here @BillyWoofs_shinpad. I think it's a bit harsh to say he clearly wasn't motivated to do the job because he never got to do the job. He also had an awful start, suffered quite a long term injury at the start and despite being this big money signing that Burnley were supposedly desperate for, nothing has actually changed. Now maybe you can say as a professional he has to get on with that but I'd be shocked to hear Burnley paid £18m or whatever it was for a 4th choice centre-back who never makes the bench, I'd be shocked if that's the promise made to him when signing, I'd be willing to stake a lot on the idea that Ben was given some reassurances of playing time that simply haven't come to fruition.

That may not make him unaccountable for the entirety of the process and like you, this is largely just my opinion. And I will say on the flip side, I also think it doesn't look good that he's training with us both for him and Burnley. I also think we're a bit culpable because I don't think Gibson wanted to leave and we pushed him out after wasting a *** ton of money. Now we are being this safe haven for him as he's come back to the conclusion that he had seemingly already made before leaving; he wanted to stay and he'll do anything to come back, including using the extent of his player power to make it happen.

The thing is if we do end up selling Fry or any other player for decent money we can rebuild a strong side if our scouting is up too scratch. As alot of clubs will be struggling financially this summer so it will very much be a buyer's market! Just hope we do alot better than last summer's recruits 🙄.  I am very much against selling Fry and spending the magority on bringing in Gibson believe there is alot cheaper options out there and if it wasn't for the nostalgia we wouldn't be looking at Gibson!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

The thing is if we do end up selling Fry or any other player for decent money we can rebuild a strong side if our scouting is up too scratch. As alot of clubs will be struggling financially this summer so it will very much be a buyer's market! Just hope we do alot better than last summer's recruits 🙄.  I am very much against selling Fry and spending the magority on bringing in Gibson believe there is alot cheaper options out there and if it wasn't for the nostalgia we wouldn't be looking at Gibson!

I agree with this completely although if we can get Gibson on a loan deal I would do as I think were desperately lacking leaders in the dressing room and also we could well be short of quality CBs come the start of next season