oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

11 hours ago, TLF10 said:

I think you should keep telling yourself that as you are absolutley correct in that friendlies are literally just for fitness and for management to try things. No points are awarded for them and there no progress towards anyone final.

If we lose v Swansea and thereafter then you are well within your rights to criticise and moan. But i would advice not to waste that type of energy over friendlies. 

You're not wrong

• Replies 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Braithwaite thought we'd won the league when he signed, he was already portraying himself as a hero. Don't get me wrong, I liked that he was sending positive vibes from the moment he joined and that he was trying to fit in publicly. But at the same time, there was an air of one inevitability in his mindset; we were going up and he was gonna be a big part of that.

Was he mismanaged? Of course he was. We spent so much money that summer to give our manager the squad he needed to get us promoted. Yet between the club and Monk, there always seemed to be some different expectations of the team. Monk wanted time to mould the team, his interviews about how things will take time were not in line with the 'smash the league' comments of Gibson. Our investment into his team didn't match that of a team that was gonna take some time to get right. Monk tinkered and managed to change his mind about what he wanted before the transfer window had even closed, after spending more than £40m already at that stage. Were Braithwaite's ambitions being met in terms of the manager we brought in? Easier to say in hindsight but absolutely not.

But we were still paying him a significant Premier League wage. And he downed tools whilst we were still doing that. In his desperate attempt to force a move to appear, he turned up and looked like the best player at the start of the next season. But it soon became clear what the motivation was, you can believe what Pulis said or not, I don't think it really matters. What happened on the pitch and off it was enough to prove beyond doubt that this was a man playing for a move and stopped caring when the window closed. On a PREMIER LEAGUE salary. That's unacceptable. He should have been leading by example, not taking our payment for granted in the way that he did. Imagine being anyone else in that team who worked hard and took home significantly less than he did. Showcases that once a deal is signed, a club has no power any more. We tried to drag him through the mud and look where he is now; Barcelona. The stars may have had to align for it to happen but that's where he is nonetheless.

All parties take a share of the blame. But Braithwaite is no angel in comparison to the rest of them.

You are probably more or less right in everything you write. In hindsight I would have liked to see a 4-4-2 with Braithwaite and Bamford up top and spending the Britt/fletcher money on a decent left winger and fullbacks  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

You are probably more or less right in everything you write. In hindsight I would have liked to see a 4-4-2 with Braithwaite and Bamford up top and spending the Britt/fletcher money on a decent left winger and fullbacks  

I agree we should of brought in a £15 million pound winger instead of Britt as that was the missing crucial component we had a strike force but no play maker or assist king 

2 hours ago, BoroJake said:

People seem to be saying huddersfield won 3-0 in one game and 2-1 on the other

If it’s reported as 3 stints, what counts as 2 games in 135 minutes of football?

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I kind of understood signing Britt in a world where we wanted to play with essentially 3 narrow forwards. I think it's farcical we ended up signing Braithwaite, Britt AND Fletcher in a world where we already had Bamford and Gestede, then decided to change tactic to a 4-2-3-1. It's that which begs the question how aligned were management and recruitment on what we wanted to build that year. Why did we purchase 3 new potential strikers, to add to 2 who had already proven themselves at Championship level, that we had only signed 6 months prior.

I never forget that *** show because I think that more than anything forced us to lose Bamford long before we should have. Like you say, imagine we had just stuck with Bamford and not spent £15m on Britt. Not only would we have had a better player but also wouldn't have spent that extra money and our squad would have been much more balanced for the next manager.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I kind of understood signing Britt in a world where we wanted to play with essentially 3 narrow forwards. I think it's farcical we ended up signing Braithwaite, Britt AND Fletcher in a world where we already had Bamford and Gestede, then decided to change tactic to a 4-2-3-1. It's that which begs the question how aligned were management and recruitment on what we wanted to build that year. Why did we purchase 3 new potential strikers, to add to 2 who had already proven themselves at Championship level, that we had only signed 6 months prior.

I never forget that *** show because I think that more than anything forced us to lose Bamford long before we should have. Like you say, imagine we had just stuck with Bamford and not spent £15m on Britt. Not only would we have had a better player but also wouldn't have spent that extra money and our squad would have been much more balanced for the next manager.

Then having got rid of Fabio and Christie Pulis chooses to play a wing back system with us 😏. It has always seemed to be our problem in not addressing where we are short. When we had Downing originally we always slotted somebody on the right rather than a right winger. Then with Traore it was the other way round.

14 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Dont worry lads its "just for fitness" 🙄😬

It is though. Could have been the kids for the 0-3, a mix for the 1-2 and the first team for the 0-0 if those scores are correct

2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

5-1 defeat over the 3 games and a slight injury to one of our players - not sure on seriousness yet.

Everyone but Dijksteel played some part.

does everyone include Ayala?

23 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It is though. Could have been the kids for the 0-3, a mix for the 1-2 and the first team for the 0-0 if those scores are correct

soon see what happens when the season starts again