oneBoro Forum

'Other Boro stuff'

There was always going to be more to the story, it seems like something's been up for a while with the constant rolling injury timetable from Woodgate.

But they shouldn't have even bothered playing him in the friendlies if there's more to it than Ayala only now refusing to play.

• Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great Athletic article on our youth recruitment in London (copied from the other site): Saturday afternoon in the north London postcode of N22: on White Hart Lane a steady stream of fans make t

Superb article from The Athletic published today... Gives you a real sense that something special is being built. We've been crying out for this for so long.   Michael Walker 2h ago  2 

The Times interview today with Chuba. I’ve missed all the pics out as I don’t know how to get the whole article across and it’s behind a firewall, but you get a good feeling of what he thinks.  

Posted Images

Seems odd that we wouldn’t offer to extend his current contract for the remainder of the season but instead offer reduced terms. Seems a bit arrogant from our position if it’s true. It’s just 4 weeks. I must say I find it hard to believe that we wouldn’t just offer to let the current contract roll for the remaining few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Seems odd that we wouldn’t offer to extend his current contract for the remainder of the season but instead offer reduced terms. Seems a bit arrogant from our position if it’s true. It’s just 4 weeks. I must say I find it hard to believe that we wouldn’t just offer to let the current contract roll for the remaining few weeks. 

Unless the management didn't believe he had the attitude to stay fit for these games, we all remember how Karanka said that Dani would be medically fit but say he didn't feel right

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Not terribly surprised. Can't exactly blame him either. If I was 29 years old and had legs made of papier-mâché, I'd probably sit out these nine games after not playing anything competitive for 3+ months. Especially if a 40k per week contract was on the line if I got hurt.

He regularly sat out of games during seasons without the threat of impeding moves, great player but his head clearly wasn't always in the right place

12 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Maybe they think that he's been paid quite a lot of money for the past 6 months while he hasn't played a minute of football for us and they stupidly thought that the might have enough decency to help us out for the next 6 weeks?

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Maybe they think that he's been paid quite a lot of money for the past 6 months while he hasn't played a minute of football for us and they stupidly thought that the might have enough decency to help us out for the next 6 weeks?

Knowing how players think that would be incredibly foolish to hope so. I have always thought that all contracts should be extended in its current form until the end of the season as that was the initial idea of the contract. Without choice from either players or clubs. It goes until the end of the season and not 9 games before. At some point players will stop playing in march to avoid risking their next move. 

• Like 1

How many thousands have we been paying the guy for months for him to now decide he is not going  to play another game for this football club is the most annoying part. He won't even just resign he still wants paying 🤑 he is only in it for the money it seems. 

Hope this does not come across as sour grapes over Ayala as I think he a fantastic defender and i said before on here i would love to have him stayed but...

I been looking at his career stats for us and he made just over 200 appearances for us (inc. sub) over 7yrs.

If we assume we play 50 games a season. 46 in league and lets say 4 cup games. Any decent cup run we had over last 7 years can be offset by the 38 game PL season. That means in 350 games he made 200 appearances. Just over 50%. Thus on average season he plays about 27/28 games but misses about 22 games a season

Quite a lot of each season he missed. 

7 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Hope this does not come across as sour grapes over Ayala as I think he a fantastic defender and i said before on here i would love to have him stayed but...

I been looking at his career stats for us and he made just over 200 appearances for us (inc. sub) over 7yrs.

If we assume we play 50 games a season. 46 in league and lets say 4 cup games. Any decent cup run we had over last 7 years can be offset by the 38 game PL season. That means in 350 games he made 200 appearances. Just over 50%. Thus on average season he plays about 27/28 games but misses about 22 games a season

Quite a lot of each season he missed. 

Since he joined:

13/14: 19 league
14/15: 30 league, 3 LC, 2 FAC, 3 PO
15/16: 35 league, 3 LC, 1 FAC
16/17: 14 league, 1 EFLC, 2 FAC,
17/18: 33 league, 3 EFLC, 2 FAC, 1 PO
18/19: 33 league, 3 EFLC, 3 FAC,
19/20: 25 league

• Like 1

I know why he's moving on and I think for himself, it makes sense. Incredible given his injuries that he's managed to find a club willing to offer him that kind of money for that long, really incredible. Victor Orta is doing him a massive favour, it would seem.

And yes, he's certainly playing a part in not playing if indeed he doesn't. If you had glass ankles like him, would you want to throw away that kind of money for the next 3 years for your family? Guaranteed they are his main priority and any of us would do the same in his shoes; put them first. This move was seemingly going to happen regardless of the pandemic so there's nothing more to say on the move itself.

It does leave a sour taste in the mouth for sure about not playing in the next few games. We've paid him for those couple of months he had out and for the last few in lockdown. And maybe it's harsh but I've already said, clubs need to learn from this pandemic situation and get smarter with contracts and ensure they don't have to keep paying these lads a *** ton of money during downtime like this. Or they should have insurance in place to cover for it if indeed they don't already; good luck getting that in the next couple of years but lessons to be learnt nonetheless.

We should be able to call on him for the next couple of weeks if we so choose but as with any player, it doesn't matter how much the manager wants to play him. He's his own man and will do what he wants. We should definitely expect more. But then I also find it very hard to complain about him essentially leaving before the end of his contract because there's so much more going on here than us paying him during a pandemic.

Put it this way, I don't see Ayala leaving us if we were in a better position and thus able to offer him the contract he wants, if we'd made better decisions at the club hierarchy level since we got promoted. Hell, do you think we'd be doing anything to protect him if we were in such a good position we could move him on? No chance. So it would be far too easy for the club to make this about Ayala when actually this is yet more fallout of bad decisions from Gibson and co. And I don't think this would be getting anywhere near the attention if this was Friend or Johnson doing this, players nobody really want to see here beyond this season. This, to me, simply has a big whiff of 'getting the excuses out early'.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Cheers for that @Brunners. Does the 13/14 figure include his loan spell before move became permanent? Joined late Oct/early Nov 2013

I think so, those are all his appearances in the champ for that entire season.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Since he joined:

13/14: 19 league
14/15: 30 league, 3 LC, 2 FAC, 3 PO
15/16: 35 league, 3 LC, 1 FAC
16/17: 14 league, 1 EFLC, 2 FAC,
17/18: 33 league, 3 EFLC, 2 FAC, 1 PO
18/19: 33 league, 3 EFLC, 3 FAC,
19/20: 25 league

Leadbitter over a similar period, played 40 more games

10 hours ago, Borodane said:

The gravitas of this is the club have to offer less money even over that short period as their income has been significantly reduced as have all clubs. Easier to negotiate with a player without a club than one who has his last big move in his career.

Club knew the risks.  Whilst I think it's a positive that we are no longer being dictated to by players I just hope we can scramble through next 9 games and stay up. If we do the financial outlook for MFC will be a lot better than 80% of championship clubs

• Like 2